Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:49 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,960 times

Advertisements

I would love to return "home"......unfortunately the bi-level that we built in 1971 for $14,000 4/2/1 on 3/4 acre is now up for sale for $370,000 and the taxes are $5,500....when we left in 1987 we were paying $1,800 in taxes....now nothing as changed the house is still the same, no major upgrades and they want this crazy amount of money. They've cut me out of the market, cause I now retired can't afford to pay those prices.

But, I have to say, and agree that Sussex Cty was and is still a beautiful place to live, the season changes are a wonder, my late husband would jump on a plane in Oct. just to see the leaves change on Loundsberry Hollow Rd.
he'd wander the hills/dales and take in all that G*d created, sit by the lake where my kids fished and enjoy the peace and quiet. Our hearts will always be in NJ, though our bodies are somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:31 PM

20 posts, read 52,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Don't forget the Sussex county Fair in August! It's the best!

Oh yeah -- that too!

Old 11-20-2007, 05:48 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,021 times
I love the Delaware River.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 14,485 times
The fresh local produce, the scenery of hills and open fields with horses, cows etc, its a very refreshing place to visit or live. However there is traffics and congestion at rush hour just like everywhere else.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:40 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3o9gj View Post
The fresh local produce, the scenery of hills and open fields with horses, cows etc, its a very refreshing place to visit or live. However there is traffics and congestion at rush hour just like everywhere else.
Route 23 and Route 15 were parking lots 20 years ago during Rush Hour.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM

259 posts, read 925,023 times
Default Oh Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
What's not to like?? Even if just a day trip for city people coming up to the fair!!
I think we should keep Sussex County a Jersey secret

Sussex has scenic beauty, that is not a lie. However, the people leave something to be desired. First, I never met so many people that thought the world owed them something. There are so many deadbeats in Sussex, it's actually kind of scary. Plus, some of the people up there have country accents!?!? What the hell is the deal with that! You claim to be born in raised in New Jersey but sound like you're from the back woods of North Carolina. Another thing, if I want to see a movie I have to drive well out of my way to see one. Hamburg, Vernon, Highland Lakes is full of "Deliverance" trash. Banjo playing, moonshine drinking, sister sleeping hillbillies! Sussex is a secret because no one wants to find it!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:53 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
Sussex has scenic beauty, that is not a lie. However, the people leave something to be desired. First, I never met so many people that thought the world owed them something. There are so many deadbeats in Sussex, it's actually kind of scary. Plus, some of the people up there have country accents!?!? What the hell is the deal with that! You claim to be born in raised in New Jersey but sound like you're from the back woods of North Carolina. Another thing, if I want to see a movie I have to drive well out of my way to see one. Hamburg, Vernon, Highland Lakes is full of "Deliverance" trash. Banjo playing, moonshine drinking, sister sleeping hillbillies! Sussex is a secret because no one wants to find it!

That is so untrue in every aspect of your statement
it is not the city so yeah, bless your lil ole heart, you may have to drive a few miles for a movie.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,960 times
Default Judge Smails

Quote:
Sussex has scenic beauty, Hamburg, Vernon, Highland Lakes is full of "Deliverance" trash. Banjo playing, moonshine drinking, sister sleeping hillbillies! Sussex is a secret because no one wants to find it!
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Oh come on, I think your exaggerating just a little, Sussex Cty. has changed over the last 25 yrs very little, other than the outrageous taxes. I have no idea where you got this impression of Vernon, Highland Lakes even Hamburg is a nice little town, great people, I have several friends that still live in Vernon including my daughter who was born and raised in Vernon, her husband also went to HS in Vernon, now my grandchildren go to schools and I hear nothing about a Deliverance type atmosphere. Maybe up on 515 where the new developement is, there is Deliverance types.......but Vernon
no way, heck, I remember when the judge/justice of the peace owned the old gas station on the corner, he could pump gas and hold court at the same time and there was one policeman to drive around town. One place to buy groceries/one place to buy a paper and one gas station. One elementary school and no high school. Loundsberry Hollow Rd. was a dirt road....Ah, yes, those were the days.!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Songbird42; 01-16-2008 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: added information

Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Banjo playing, moonshine drinking, sister sleeping hillbillies! Sussex is a secret because no one wants to find it!
Yes, it's true. Every word of it. Make sure you tell eveyone you know to pass the word, "stay out of Sussex County". Please.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:02 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,419 times
Living in Sussex County is a great life style but it isn't for you if........

1.. you are afraid of wild animals. We have all kinds up here, even bear. It is part of the beauty of the area, don't come if you don't like it.

2. People still hunt up there. Sussex Counties main exports are Christmas Trees and dead deer.

2. Be ready to drive a bit longer to the local Shoprite and malls there isn't much shopping and not much entertainment (movies etc)

Now if you are interested in towns that still have a Small town feel, there are areas in Sussex County that are wonderful. Not the ones east of route 15 IMHO.

Our town has a wonderful school system and is a Blue Ribbon district.

Small local bars that make you think you've walked into a movie set from the 50's.

Room to breath. Sick of hearing your neighbors conversations while sitting at your kitchen table,

It is also much less diverse then other areas in NJ and prodominatly white. I may not be PC in saying that but finally feel free to do so since right here on these forums you see posts with Indians looking to live with Indians, Jewish people looking for Jewish communities. I'm taking a stand that its also ok for white people to want to live with white people. However there are no gates in Sussex County keeping any ethnic group out and there is some diversity in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey