Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:16 PM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times

Advertisements

What's not to like?? Even if just a day trip for city people coming up to the fair!!
I think we should keep Sussex County a Jersey secret
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 04:08 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Living on Long Island and working in Manhattan most of my life, I don't need any more action.
and that's cool! i grew up urban, and miss it. wouldn't want to live any further out than i already do. different strokes, different folks.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:45 PM

20,350 posts, read 19,958,548 times
I've always accepted a longer commute as part of the deal when you live in areas like Sussex Cnty. (regardless of the state I was living in). For me it's always been well worth it.

Whenever I hear a pol candidate say that Sussex Cnty needs more jobs because too many people have to commute I think that's exactly what I don't want to hear. If commuting was important to me, I would move closer to my job, not further. I don't want Sussex to look like E. Hanover, Rockaway, etc.

I consider Sussex Cnty's. beauty to be one of it's primary assets.

Good thread PCM. I love Sussex Cnty. Plus, even I get tired of raising hell about being over taxed and underserved.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:56 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,684,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
What's not to like?? Even if just a day trip for city people coming up to the fair!!
Yes, I honestly think you should be quiet about it. Really.
Its just perfect as it is, and getting so rare to the ever so populated NJ.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:41 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,332,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Yes, I honestly think you should be quiet about it. Really.
Its just perfect as it is, and getting so rare to the ever so populated NJ.
All the damn New Yorkerrrs are moving up here. (I'm from Queens... 20 years ago.)

Old 08-20-2007, 10:15 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,684,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I think it already is. Most people in NJ have apparently never even heard of it! LOL! I say this as most of the commuter transplants moving to PA and working in NYC claim that NJ is "too crowded." It's kind of surreal to realize Northeastern NJ is crowded, Monroe County, PA is becoming crowded, yet Sussex County, sandwiched right in the middle, is still pristine. What gives?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:29 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,587,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I think it already is. Most people in NJ have apparently never even heard of it! LOL! I say this as most of the commuter transplants moving to PA and working in NYC claim that NJ is "too crowded." It's kind of surreal to realize Northeastern NJ is crowded, Monroe County, PA is becoming crowded, yet Sussex County, sandwiched right in the middle, is still pristine. What gives?
In time when only the elite will be able to afford NJ and they then require more housing the Sussex County you know now will be another one for "the good-ole days" memory.

-OR-

If Heaven forbid there's a high frequency of terrorist attacks in NYC to where many will want to get away from there and they'll be a lack of housing to meet demand here in NJ, then Sussex County will change and be built-up. Maybe then SWB you'll get your wish of corporations relocating closer to your current neck of the woods.

Lets pray that nothing happens that changes with the current untouched natural beauty which is in Sussex County, NJ.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:53 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,589,922 times
Default Vernon

My family was one of the first families to move into Vernon Valley Lake, when the Storms family had their dairy farm, (its now a developement) I can remember waking up and hearing cows, looked out the widow and there they were three cows, they broke loose from the back fields and into our yard.
As a young teenager, I can remember swimming at the lake, and talking with our new neigbors, that came to the lake as their homes were being built.
The dues at the time were $35.00 a year, a real steal, because the other lake communities were charging more, Pleasant Valley Lake was around $125.00 a year.

Vernon had that small town feel, I thought I was in the boondocks and it took awhile to get used to the way things were done, there was this good ole boy thing going on and if you didn't do things their way, well, it was hard to do business in town if you had a business. But after you were accepted, after all we were NY'ers and that didn't sit too well, the locals did warm up and I spent half my life living among the nicest people, great schools,
loving churches, and some of the best scenery of mountains, rolling rolls
and trees..........beautiful wonderful trees.

Sussex Cty has many of its own wonders...........the Farm and Horse Show
in Branchville, High Point Park, lovely lakes, its just a great place to raise a family and I was lucky that I was able to raise my family in Vernon, if I could return and financially afford it I would go home in a heartbeat.......some day I will return to be buried in Glenwood Cemetery, under the pine tree, amongst
the original settlers of Glenwood/Vernon......and proud to be there.
loving churches,

Old 10-20-2007, 01:51 PM

20 posts, read 52,947 times
Default Living in Sussex County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Living on Long Island and working in Manhattan most of my life, I don't need any more action.
Okay, I admit it -- I'm an old hillbilly but VERY happy to be a resident of Sussex County and proud that my "roots" go so far back here. We are behind the times once in a while, but we eventually catch up. If you're looking for action, you won't find it here But -- I'm old and retired and the last thing I want is ACTION. It's so peaceful here and the scenery is incomparable. Warren County is another beautiful place, but taxes are higher there. My son, a psychologist, moved to Essex County because the good-paying job opportunities here are far from prolific. He's young and loves the city, but his girlfriend enjoys coming up here to the "country". Maybe I'm just lucky that I can get a tremendous amount of joy out of life's "little things". Sussex County and nature -- can't think of anything much better!

Old 10-20-2007, 02:39 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,816,410 times
Don't forget the Sussex county Fair in August! It's the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey