Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:40 AM

5 posts, read 26,368 times

Advertisements

I was recently involved in an accident. I was driving down a residential street and a man who was driving with his girlfriend as passenger was exiting his residential parking lot and hit my back right side of my fender. Upon exiting my car to assess the damage I realized I had none, and the other man asked if we can just not report this as it was a mistake and a light accident and all his car had was a few scratches. I obliged, having been in a rush and realizing that the other person might not have great insurance. So we both entered our cars and drove away. 2 streets later I realize he followed me and I begin to enter a small slightly heated debate about the accident. He asked "so what are you gonna do about my car" and I laughed it off and told him I was the victim and i have no obligation to do anything and that I did him a favor by not calling the cops. His girlfriend the exclaimed that they had my license plate number and drove off.

A week later I was sent a letter that I was involved in a hit and run and that I was written down as the potential party at fault. What are my options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:57 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
Assuming you can't get in your time machine and go back and report the accident when it happened...

who was the letter from? police? his lawyer? Unfortunately, you may end up having to pay a lwyer for some help. Otherwise, if from police, call them and get your version on the record.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova092 View Post
I was recently involved in an accident. I was driving down a residential street and a man who was driving with his girlfriend as passenger was exiting his residential parking lot and hit my back right side of my fender. Upon exiting my car to assess the damage I realized I had none, and the other man asked if we can just not report this as it was a mistake and a light accident and all his car had was a few scratches. I obliged, having been in a rush and realizing that the other person might not have great insurance. So we both entered our cars and drove away. 2 streets later I realize he followed me and I begin to enter a small slightly heated debate about the accident. He asked "so what are you gonna do about my car" and I laughed it off and told him I was the victim and i have no obligation to do anything and that I did him a favor by not calling the cops. His girlfriend the exclaimed that they had my license plate number and drove off.

A week later I was sent a letter that I was involved in a hit and run and that I was written down as the potential party at fault. What are my options?
Get a lawyer ASAP.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,297 times
If this happened exactly how you laid it out in your post, it sounds like some kind of a planned scam. According to your account of the events, the other driver acknowledged the scratches on his car before he suggested not reporting the accident. It's not like he did not notice the scratches until you had driven off (again, still at his suggestion).

The fact that his girlfriend (i.e. a witness) was with him to back him up, also points to scam. I'm assuming you were alone in your car.

Now it's your word against 2 other peoples'.

The aggressive move of following you for 2 blocks, the "what are you gonna do about my car?" and the "I have your license plate" scare tactic seem very shady to me. They were pulling out of a parking lot and hit the back of your car, correct? How do they plan on spinning that into your fault? Again, it's your word against theirs. (And, for that matter, the scratches on their car might ALREADY have been there before they hit you.) I'm guessing their story is going to be that you were backing up in the street.

As for the letter, I'll repeat HalfFull's question: WHO WAS THE LETTER FROM?

Also is there anyway that there might have been any witnesses to the incident? Or cameras on the street?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,399,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Also is there anyway that there might have been any witnesses to the incident? Or cameras on the street?
yeah....come up with a place that you were that day, and ask them to prove you hit them. i don't see how they can prove it. what if i wrote some license plate number down on the way home today and called in a hit and run?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Get off the internet and go get a lawyer. NOW.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 AM

i was by myself. and the letter is a crime investigation letter from a detective.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 AM

if im looking for a lawyer, what type of legal issue would this be considered?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:48 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova092 View Post
i was by myself. and the letter is a crime investigation letter from a detective.
OK, first of all, THEY hit YOU, correct?

Again, this sounds like a "crash for cash" scam. Go to this webpage and scroll down to the "T-Bone" scam. That sounds closest to what happened to you.

Car Insurance Scams: How They Work and How to Avoid Them - DriveSteady.com

Second of all, what, exactly does the letter say? Does it accuse YOU of hitting THEM?

Third of all, when you say it's from "a detective"...are you talking about a private investigator (which can be made up), or is it an official letter from the actual police department of that town?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:15 AM

They hit me. and the letter was from an actual detective and was handed to my mother, who the car is registered to, BY the detective who works in her building because she works for the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: