Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Sweep the Leg... you are being rude and arrogant.

I was sent a private message saying that I am not intelligent and am a moron.

We obviously aren't.

I am simply looking for a decent place to live in a few decent towns that would enable my husband to have a decent commute. My budget is reasonable to find a decent house, and I don't see anything on the market. I find it depressing that we can't find a decent place with a 1.2 million price tag.
did you look at the house I posted?

18 ROCKLEDGE TRL, Chatham NJ 07928, MLS #2846925, Weichert.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
exactly.

but honestly, 30 year fixed rates are around 4.3%. people really believe they'll stay there for a couple years? i think they'll start to slowly climb to 5% over the course of the next year.
That's a complicated question. If you would have asked me a year ago, if I thought the rates would still be 4.3% now, I would have said no. As you probably know, the mortgage rate is based on the 10 year treasury bond, not on the Fed funds rate, which is what I believe Bernanke was talking about when he said he wouLd keep rates low through 2013. HOWEVER, if he did another round of bond buying, i.e. QE3, AND our credit rating does not fall any lower, then the 10 year treasury rates will remain low.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:39 PM

54 posts, read 265,475 times
not everyone has the same expectations, but for most people, 1.2m is an amount people dream of when buying a nice house.

But comparing with the a lot wall st folks, 1.2m is pocket change.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:15 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Hi. I don't want to pay almost a million bucks to basically live on Summit Ave. The house is practically on the street. I can't imagine hearing traffic all day/all night with that price tag!
LOL. This is Summit. There is no all night traffic, and Summit Ave. is only busy downtown, which itself dies around 9 or 10 on weeknights, maybe 11 on weekends. The only remotely busy streets are River Rd., Springfield Ave., Morris Ave., and Broad St.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 PM

168 posts, read 417,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
so you believe that a $500,000 house today, if rates go from 4.26% to 5.26% tomorrow, would turn into a $400,000 house? no, sorry...the buyer will have to adjust their expectations maybe, but houses aren't dropping 20% just like that.
Actually the $500,000 house turned into a $400,000 house in a couple of years...and brace yourself... while mortgage rates were decreasing. HAHAHAH imagine what will happen if the rates increae. That's one of the reasons Bernanke is printing money: to bailout owners with overpriced houses.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 PM

52 posts, read 149,092 times
I know there's no train, but did you consider just staying in Livingston?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:59 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedus View Post
Actually the $500,000 house turned into a $400,000 house in a couple of years...and brace yourself... while mortgage rates were decreasing. HAHAHAH imagine what will happen if the rates increae. That's one of the reasons Bernanke is printing money: to bailout owners with overpriced houses.
Bernanke doesn't give a damn about the home owners. He is really bailing out the banks. The more home prices drop, the more people will just walk away from their obligations, leaving the banks with a lot of unwanted houses, and not a lot of money.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:17 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedus View Post
no doubt housing prices in 2006, 2007 were overpriced. But that's 4+ years behind us. rates went from around 6% to around 4.5% in that time period. but the prices were largely unrelated to mortgage rates...as they were inflated all over the place. homes are selling in the NY metro area. the doom and gloomers are misguided. the bottom line is, if you can afford a $3,000/month payment, you can buy the house. people are putting 20% down more often than not now...not 0% or -10% like in the last decade. the value of my home is meaningless to me. the mistake being made is people acting like because their house increased by 5%, they could go out and buy a BMW instead of a Toyota.

i'll say it again...the value of the home is meaningless to me. it's a place to live, that's all.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 AM

168 posts, read 417,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Bernanke doesn't give a damn about the home owners. He is really bailing out the banks. The more home prices drop, the more people will just walk away from their obligations, leaving the banks with a lot of unwanted houses, and not a lot of money.
Agreed

Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
exactly. if they wanted to help homeowners, they would actually talk about policy that would effect homeowners more directly. instead, they toss the public these token items, like a 2% break in the SS payroll tax...which looks like fun in the short term, but just hurts us more in the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey