Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 08:19 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times

Advertisements

New Jersey’s Shrinking Commitment to Transit | Mobilizing the Region

This is outrageous , politicians need to stop reducing it....this state needs to invest more in Transit. Ridership has grown by at least 400,000+ this past decade and is growing but the investment in the system has not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
You would think a state that is the most densely populated in the country, located in the heart of the Northeast Corridor, and is located right between to of the largest cities in the entire East Coast would be be shrinking its commitment on transit. Sometimes I just don't understand this state. lol.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
NJ Transit, as well as other public transportation like MTA must not use a union.

I just don't understand why I see 3 ticket clerks in a train that only have 2 carts running in the weekend. There maybe like 10 total passengers.

I think they get pay like 50 or 60k a year for punching ticket.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You would think a state that is the most densely populated in the country, located in the heart of the Northeast Corridor, and is located right between to of the largest cities in the entire East Coast would be be shrinking its commitment on transit. Sometimes I just don't understand this state. lol.
Actually most of the dense states in the NE except around the DC region are shriking there Transit budgets even though all the systems have seen rapid growth... Septa badly needs to upgraded and extended but is extremely neglected which is a shame since with a few upgrades and expansions it can be one the better systems.... Hopefully this decline will change this decade along with NY and MA declines. CT , MD ,NOVA ,and DC are investing a big chunk into Transit... A infill program was recently cut in this state even though it was popular and successful. Hopefully that returns in next years budget , the push for Rail projects from both parties has been increasing but funding is an issue and this issue needs to be resolved..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
NJ Transit, as well as other public transportation like MTA must not use a union.

I just don't understand why I see 3 ticket clerks in a train that only have 2 carts running in the weekend. There maybe like 10 total passengers.

I think they get pay like 50 or 60k a year for punching ticket.
Well then your safety will be at risk , Conductors are there for protection and they do other things beside ticket punching. Most of the work is done when the train enters the Yard and or Terminal. 50-60k is barely livable in this region. Theres rarely a time whens there's 10 ppl per train , there's a min of 50 most of the time after a certain point.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:00 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
A real shame, and it's not like the roadways are getting any better. I'm no longer a transit commuter but still a transit/rail fan and advocate, I'd still love to see it get what it deserves, it's really sad. There's a reason the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail line was named such, yet it doesn't enter Bergen County.

There's a lot of great proposed, planned and some underway plans, many of which Nexis has outlined in awesome detail. I'd love to see even just one of these actually turn into a fully operational addition to NJT's system.

Fingers crossed for the future I guess...

Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
That's operating expense; the article concerns capital expense. And the reason transit's share of capital expense is dropping is big capital expenditures (e.g. the RiverLine) have been done, whereas many of the roads have basically been allowed to rot and now they're being forced to at least plan to do something about them (not that they actually will).

Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 PM

Actually there are a few large scale Rail projects left mostly servicing the burbs which should make them get built faster , the harder Urban ones have all been done or canceled. The Bus system upgrades are all done aswell....

Old 08-23-2011, 05:51 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
IF it makes sense they don't do it

Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Transit there is already excellent. Times are hard. Everyone gets a hair cut.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
New Jersey’s Shrinking Commitment to Transit | Mobilizing the Region

This is outrageous , politicians need to stop reducing it....this state needs to invest more in Transit. Ridership has grown by at least 400,000+ this past decade and is growing but the investment in the system has not.
so the graph is showing total NJDOT spending....it seems like the $ amount has stayed about the same since 2004, but total spending has gone from 2.5 -> 3.5 over that time period. my guess is this has a lot to do with the large projects at the holland tunnel exit, the pulaski skyway, and the NJTP below exit 8? not saying it's right, and i would love to see more dollars going to transit to upgrade the system as well, but i'm a but confused about the "shrinking" committment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: