Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times

Advertisements

The train station in Trenton on Sun. 28th at 4pm.

Trenton NJ Train Station Flooded After Hurricane Irene. Hurricane Irene Leaves Severe Flooding In NJ- Will Impact North East Corridor- Train Commute:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
It was a tropical storm!
Not everywhere in NJ, it wasn't technically a tropical storm until it made it's third landfall since the winds around the eyeball were still 74 mph. Granted most people where only were effected by tropical storm winds the doesn't mean she didn't met the hurricane criteria here in NJ B

Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
A whole house generating system costs big bucks. Aldi sells generators a couple of times a year. Having something to keep the refrigerator &/or freezer cycling at least for a while each day would be a help. As Ani said, cooking can always be done on a grill outside (well, if it's not in the middle of a nor'easter. . .) Keeping food in case of a long term power failure would be the most helpful reason to have a generator.
Very big bucks. At least 5 figures. And most commercial grade units run on diesel fuel (very easy to get after a storm ). My brother just put one into his house (in south Florida) - cost $25k (but he has a pretty big house). On my part - I'd rather keep the money in the bank. And - if it's only a question of the power going out - go to a hotel with power. Of course - if we have a bad storm - our house will be damaged too. And then - who cares whether or not it has power?

FWIW - it doesn't make any sense here to have anything other than a big whole house generator. Because - until the end of September - the day after any storm it will be 90+ degrees. So if a generator doesn't run the AC - forget it.

I don't know anything about basements and sump pumps (although I grew up in New Jersey - I left when I went to college and never returned - and - like most young girls - never learned about sump pumps ). Perhaps there's a need for a small generator there.

As for food - we keep very low stocks of frozen food during hurricane season. I reckon people up north aren't used to doing that.

Without looking - I think our homeowners' policy has $250 in coverage for food spoiled as a result of a power outage. If you have similar coverage - perhaps it is cheaper to keep the food in your refrigerator/freezer at about that dollar limit - and forget about the generator (except for the sump pump issue). Robyn

Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
losing the contents of my fridge and freezer would take more of a mental toll on me than financial. i work hard finding deals on the food i like and i want to enjoy them eventually. to lose it all at once would bother me. however, not having a sump pump to pump water from my basement would be a physical, mental and financial toll i dont want to worry about. its definitely worth the money to not have to worry about that. A/C is nice, but not necessary here.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:15 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Of course it was and they never cause damage.
I am sorry , i did not say or imply they do not cause any damage
My intent - the hype of the media

Obviously a tropical storm has sustained winds and lots of rain

I give up if your missing my point
Just to set my own personal record straight
Tropical storm , weak hurricane what ever you wish to call the storm
The Media created the hype which could have caused mass panic
Next time a storm approaches there WILL be people who remember this and ignore the warnings and then you will have more problems because more people will not get out of the way of the storm-

Not looking to argue with you or stir up any problems - Just giving you a perspective from someone outside of the New York media and who was not caught up in the frenzy as i am sure alot of family members and friends were scared beyond belief.

This storm was not hard to track or hard to predict they watched it carefully
In my own opinion whether you think i am being an arm chair quarterback or what ever they blew this storm up probably because they did not want another Katrina on their hands - i dont know but from a perspective of an outsider and no harm intended it appears that way.

sorry if you do not agree with me but i am sure there are many others who may.

Like I mentioned early destruction is like the tornado in Joplin not this storm
that does not diminish people who were hurt or someones property that was damaged.

Another poster mentioned they do this to winter storms too they do that around here. Its all the hyper media and their sensitivity. If you want some one to blame then go blame them not me.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Very big bucks. At least 5 figures. And most commercial grade units run on diesel fuel (very easy to get after a storm ). My brother just put one into his house (in south Florida) - cost $25k (but he has a pretty big house). On my part - I'd rather keep the money in the bank. And - if it's only a question of the power going out - go to a hotel with power. Of course - if we have a bad storm - our house will be damaged too. And then - who cares whether or not it has power?

FWIW - it doesn't make any sense here to have anything other than a big whole house generator. Because - until the end of September - the day after any storm it will be 90+ degrees. So if a generator doesn't run the AC - forget it.

I don't know anything about basements and sump pumps (although I grew up in New Jersey - I left when I went to college and never returned - and - like most young girls - never learned about sump pumps ). Perhaps there's a need for a small generator there.

As for food - we keep very low stocks of frozen food during hurricane season. I reckon people up north aren't used to doing that.

Without looking - I think our homeowners' policy has $250 in coverage for food spoiled as a result of a power outage. If you have similar coverage - perhaps it is cheaper to keep the food in your refrigerator/freezer at about that dollar limit - and forget about the generator (except for the sump pump issue). Robyn
Just as a reminder . . . Not everyone in NJ lives in an urban area . . . some folks freeze food from the garden or from farmer's markets during the summer, to eat during the winter. So even tho your strategy may work for YOUR family, many of us have additional free standing freezers and so it becomes a real issue as far as losing power for several days.

My insurance policy has coverage for frozen food, but only once - and with my deductible, I won't be getting a check in the mail for losing the contents of my freezer, but I will have a huge stinky, dripping, moldy mess to clean up.

ETA: You can get a very efficient generator set up to survive heat (or keep warm)and keep your household together by spending a helluva lot less than $25K. That would be like an additional HVAC system that you are talking about. In my neighborhood, two people have permanently installed generators and neither spent over $5K. Of course, they aren't trying to run two heat pumps. One doesn't expect to be comfortable during crisis- just not terribly indisposed.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I have a $30,000 gasoline generator hooked up to my house. It's my car. A little tweaking, and we got the whole house up and running with the exception of AC (and that's due to the limitation of my inverter, not my car). It's extremely efficient and a lot quieter than a cheap generator.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
anyone have a generator? i am curious what type of generators people have and what kind of power they provide. it may be a good idea to have one in case there is a long term power outage. so far in 2 years in my community, ive lost power once for a few hours. nothing else more than maybe a few minutes. but i like to be prepared. i remember when the power went off a few hours, we went to my moms for dinner and a neighbor of hers had fired up a generator. it was pretty loud and ultimately for a few hours didnt seem to be a big pay off. but that guy is prepared for a longer term outage if needed.

Because we lose power at the tiniest little storm I went out and bought a Ryobi 2000w portable generator. $600. bucks at Home Depot. It's pretty quiet and it's about equal in sound to my pool filter. My power didn't go out but I lent it to my daughter as her power had gone out. On it she ran her sump pump and her side by side refrigerator freezer. Her power was out for two days so it came in handy for her.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
The Media created the hype which could have caused mass panic
Next time a storm approaches there WILL be people who remember this and ignore the warnings and then you will have more problems because more people will not get out of the way of the storm-
Who would those people be? The ones who need rescuing b/c they're too hard-headed to heed good advice and be prepared just incase it doesn't go so easy on them the next time?

Please.

Quote:
Not looking to argue with you or stir up any problems - Just giving you a perspective from someone outside of the New York media and who was not caught up in the frenzy as i am sure alot of family members and friends were scared beyond belief.
But you have no perspective b/c it wasn't your storm. I'm sorry the tv stations you watch were hijacked for a day or two, but put a DVD in next time if you feel there wasn't enough of a storm or destruction for you to be concerned. Just like I do every time California burns.

Quote:
This storm was not hard to track or hard to predict they watched it carefully
In my own opinion whether you think i am being an arm chair quarterback or what ever they blew this storm up probably because they did not want another Katrina on their hands - i dont know but from a perspective of an outsider and no harm intended it appears that way.
How was this storm blown up? Not enough damage done for you? Would the "hype" have been worth it had NYC been 20-30-40-50 ft. under water? What are you looking for?

Quote:
sorry if you do not agree with me but i am sure there are many others who may.
I sure don't and I'm sure there are many who may and that's because it didn't affect them either.

Quote:
Like I mentioned early destruction is like the tornado in Joplin not this storm
What does that even mean?

Quote:
.....that does not diminish people who were hurt or someones property that was damaged.
So why do you have an issue with it? It didn't pay off with enough destruction or property damage for you? Go look around. I'll give you some websites to check out.

Quote:
Another poster mentioned they do this to winter storms too they do that around here. Its all the hyper media and their sensitivity. If you want some one to blame then go blame them not me.
You are blaming the media and at the same time downplaying Irene as a little old "tropical storm".

Winter snow storms happen when? Every winter? Hurricanes make landfall in the NE how often?

So you can have a clue:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44297053.../#.TlxwIHNZ3CY

http://www.ctpost.com/news/slideshow...rene-30584.php

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/frigh...ruction-photos

Old 08-30-2011, 03:53 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Who would those people be? The ones who need rescuing b/c they're too hard-headed to heed good advice and be prepared just incase it doesn't go so easy on them the next time?

Please.

But you have no perspective b/c it wasn't your storm. I'm sorry the tv stations you watch were hijacked for a day or two, but put a DVD in next time if you feel there wasn't enough of a storm or destruction for you to be concerned. Just like I do every time California burns.

How was this storm blown up? Not enough damage done for you? Would the "hype" have been worth it had NYC been 20-30-40-50 ft. under water? What are you looking for?

I sure don't and I'm sure there are many who may and that's because it didn't affect them either.

What does that even mean?

So why do you have an issue with it? It didn't pay off with enough destruction or property damage for you? Go look around. I'll give you some websites to check out.

You are blaming the media and at the same time downplaying Irene as a little old "tropical storm".

Winter snow storms happen when? Every winter? Hurricanes make landfall in the NE how often?

So you can have a clue:

Hurricane Irene slams into NJ, shuts down NYC - Weather - msnbc.com

Most dramatic photos from Hurricane Irene - Connecticut Post

25 Frightening Photos Of Hurricane Irene's Destruction: Pics, Videos, Links, News
The Joplin tornado was devastating for loss of life and loss of home.
Like I mentioned - I feel bad for the people who have lost a loved one or lost property in the storm

NO my tv was not hi jacked - when I wanted to track the storm I went to the internet or turned on the weather channel

I am not swaying form my stance the media hyped the storm

There is no doubt the storm did damage- that is not what I was attempting to get across

No one wants to see NYC or any place under water but it did not happen

The media cried wolf with the storm and the next time maybe people will not listen - that is all my intent or message was with the comments

I have not personally attacked your comments as you have attacked my comments and I am obviously hitting a nerve with you. This is why I have repeated over and over again it was a media hype to get people to watch and it was also a prop for politicians to shine and it was also a offense for the government to correct themselves for the mistakes they made in hurricane Katrina

Yes it was a a storm that caused damage- i see the pictures of the trees down and the pictures of the rivers that have spilled over the banks

while we are on the subject now that you have me thinking. People on the East Coast are not as used to weather changes or disturbances as they are in other parts foe the country in regards to more snow storms blizzards, Ice , drought, Floods, Violent tornadoes, Hurricanes and earthquakes

I am not saying you do not get bad weather or have not had any bad storms but in the big picture you historically compare better than most of the country

You are kind of used to somewhat weather that is tame compared to other parts of the nation.

This is in the big picture so please do not take it as diminishing this storm
historically speaking your weather is less dangerous than most of the country

FYI no I do not want to see wide spread damage and please stop thinking that is the case because it is not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey