Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:30 AM

175 posts, read 607,017 times

Advertisements

It's funny that you say "very mean and heartless people"...I try and try to be pleasant to people when I shop or go to restaurants. I even thank them for being there for me. They look at me like I'm from another universe; most people look like they could shoot you just to get rid of you..Is everyone in NJ hostile ? Nope-I try to be kind and nice to others, and 80% of the people I encounter in Nj respond kind in return..maybe it's the water..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh270 View Post
One word - moderators. As far as I can tell, this forum is just a free-for-all. It's possible there are moderators around, but I haven't ever seen one in any of these threads that spiral into vitriol.

I've run a few online forums starting in 2000, and I believe the key to a great forum is moderator presence. A forum this size needs at least a couple dozen volunteer moderators checking in periodically to guide keep things from spiraling out of control and banning troll posters or otherwise unhelpful off the forums.

I am not a babysitter. I try to keep it loose around here because I think people on the new jersey section are generally helpful and nice to each other.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonothimagain View Post
It's funny that you say "very mean and heartless people"...I try and try to be pleasant to people when I shop or go to restaurants. I even thank them for being there for me. They look at me like I'm from another universe; most people look like they could shoot you just to get rid of you..Is everyone in NJ hostile ? Nope-I try to be kind and nice to others, and 80% of the people I encounter in Nj respond kind in return..maybe it's the water..lol
The only people I'm hostile towards are the ones who show others (or myself) hostility for no reason. The other day my wife ordered a pizza from our favorite local spot-we've been going there for years. When I got there to pick it up they had no recollection of the order and of course there was no pizza. The owner looked at the caller ID and saw that we had indeed called 25 minutes before-he was extremely apologetic and kept saying he was sorry over and over. I told him it was nothing to worry about-mistakes happen and that I'd be back in another 25 minutes. Instead he had it delivered to me no charge/no tip. I guess I could have gone off on him for 20 minutes about how my time is valuable and that's no way to run a business and I'm never coming here again, blah blah blah, and I'm sure that's what he was expecting, but life is too damn short for such nonsense.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I figured as much-like I said, life is hard when you're constantly ducking punches and running from potential physical harm. So instead you use the internet as the outlet for your tough guy persona. I'm guessing you bottle up a lot of anger and since you're afraid to let it out in person (with good reason) you save it for here. You might try just not sweating the small stuff-life is easier that way and you'll likely live longer.
its funny how you attribute characteristics to me that are totally off base because you want me to have those characteristics. 1. this isnt a tough guy persona, its just a little less sensitivity 2. nobody would be punching me if i said it to them in person, thats a felony 3. i dont bottle up anger, because i dont have anger.

i dont sweat the small stuff (like people saying mean things on the internet), you seem to do that.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 08-29-2011 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its funny how you attribute characteristics to me that are totally off base because you want me to have those characteristics. 1. this isnt a tough guy persona, its just a little less sensitivity 2. nobody would be punching me if i said it to them in person, thats a felony 3. i dont bottle up anger, because i dont have anger.

i dont sweat the small stuff (like people saying mean things on the internet), you seem to do that.
It's really just that people like you fascinate me. Like I said, there's always someone on an internet forum hell bent to rain on everybody else's parade. I just wonder what makes you all tick. With regard to your second point, just read your local police blotter-making something a felony doesn't stop people from doing it. Aggravated assaults for reasons as mundane as taking another person's parking spot are quite common. Lots of people in this world have very poor judgement and impulse control, that's usually another reason that most of us refrain from insulting people publicly. You never know what someone else is capable of. That's of course beside the point that in general most of us wouldn't do such things anyway.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
It's really just that people like you fascinate me. Like I said, there's always someone on an internet forum hell bent to rain on everybody else's parade. I just wonder what makes you all tick. With regard to your second point, just read your local police blotter-making something a felony doesn't stop people from doing it. Aggravated assaults for reasons as mundane as taking another person's parking spot are quite common. Lots of people in this world have very poor judgement and impulse control, that's usually another reason that most of us refrain from insulting people publicly. You never know what someone else is capable of. That's of course beside the point that in general most of us wouldn't do such things anyway.
i dont insult people in person. i also dont do it online unless they insult me. even then i usually dont stoop to that level. but i disagree with people on things and that seems to get them all riled up.

i doubt many people would physically assault me if i said anything i do on here to them in person. but if they do, its their bad behavior not mine. anyone can say anything they want to me online or in person, wont bother me a bit (short of threatening to physically assault me or my family, that will quickly get a warning that i will call the police).

Old 08-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
i dont insult people in person. i also dont do it online unless they insult me. even then i usually dont stoop to that level. but i disagree with people on things and that seems to get them all riled up.
Well sure, I mean if you saw a post about someone's 90 year old mother getting hit by a car while crossing the street, surely you'd make some kind of remark like "what was she doing crossing the street at 90 years old?", or "maybe she should move faster!" It has no substantive value, you just enjoy getting a reaction out of folks. My wife is a high school teacher so I hear funny stories about people like you frequently.

Quote:
i doubt many people would physically assault me if i said anything i do on here to them in person. but if they do, its their bad behavior not mine.
That was my point. I am of the mindset that you don't know what kind of nuts there are in this world, so if there's no really good reason to rattle someone's cage, you ought not to. My brother used to be fond of giving people the finger when someone would cut him off, tailgate him, etc...until he did it once and the guy tried to get him to get out of his car and fight at the next stop light. Never give a lunatic a reason to single you out.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Well sure, I mean if you saw a post about someone's 90 year old mother getting hit by a car while crossing the street, surely you'd make some kind of remark like "what was she doing crossing the street at 90 years old?", or "maybe she should move faster!" It has no substantive value, you just enjoy getting a reaction out of folks. My wife is a high school teacher so I hear funny stories about people like you frequently.
its interesting how you make up some scenario and suggest this is what i would do. try using actual examples because i disagree with your scenario.

i bet you are the type of person that would see someone dead on the floor after just getting hit by a truck, then take his wallet figuring he is dead so he doesnt need it. you probably dont agree with that scenario just like i dont agree with yours.

tell me some of those funny stories your wife tells about "people like me."

Old 08-29-2011, 12:39 PM

91 posts, read 205,611 times
this topic has become an "attack" topic. lets move on. yay!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
tell me some of those funny stories your wife tells about "people like me."
She once had a sophomore threaten to whip it out and pee on the floor because she wouldn't let him go to the bathroom (he asks everyday at the same time and comes back reeking of cigarettes)-that's the only one that comes to mind immediately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey