Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:21 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,650,524 times

Advertisements

Better start watching Katia. It's following the same path and is already a CAT 3.

Katia likely to become hurricane - Weather - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,342,398 times
Suppose the technology existed to predict earthquakes. And one is predicted for your area in the next week. Trouble is, the technology can't tell whether it will be a 2.9 or a 9.9 magnitude earthquake. Then suppose the media and your government told you all this but warned you to evacuate or prepare for the worst. What would you do?
My point is, there is no winning in this situation for the media and government. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They can't know what the worst case scenario will be but have to prepare for it anyway.
Personally if I were told there would be an earthquake here in the next week, I'd be in a car hightailing it to my mom's to wait it out. I'd be thrilled if it's only a 2.9 and I could return home and relieved beyond belief if it's a 9.9 and everything in my city is destroyed. I'd have all that was valuable to me and my life intact. And wouldn't have to try and survive for weeks with no food, water, shelter or electricity.

Last edited by sayulita; 08-31-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,682,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Better start watching Katia. It's following the same path and is already a CAT 3.

Katia likely to become hurricane - Weather - msnbc.com
Its always a good idea to keep an eye on these things but the NAO has already shifted west again and probably will not be blocking the jet stream. If that doesn't happen it makes it very hard for a hurricane to hit us.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:34 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
I guess the severity of the storm is all relative. In the three years I have been in this house, I have not lost power for more than 15 minutes. I am now over two days without power and driving around town shows me there is a lot to do. They could tell me power wouldn't be restored until next Tuesday and I wouldn't be surprised.

And I consider myself lucky as I see the flooding in the town next to me, or the neighbor's car crushed a block away from my place.

So yeah, for many (myself includes), they are still dealing with Irene. That to me makes it a bad storm.
Did you get your power back? I've lived in NJ for all of my 53 years, and I NEVER lost power for a day and a half before. Maybe half a day at the worst.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,956,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Did you get your power back? I've lived in NJ for all of my 53 years, and I NEVER lost power for a day and a half before. Maybe half a day at the worst.
I talked to plenty of folks who are still out today and have been told September 4th. More than a few of my wife's co-workers are still without power. Delaware, West Amwell, East Amwell, and Franklin Townships (Hunterdon County) all still have roads with trees on the ground. At this point they want to send their DPW crews out to cut and move them but they all have wires tangled in them-the power is off but without a JCP&L lineman there to verify (you never know if someone could be backfeeding via a generator, etc...) and test its not safe. The utilities are working hard to get crews out but there's only so many workers. Good luck to all who are still out-and buy a generator-ice storms and blizzards are around the corner!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:10 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Suppose the technology existed to predict earthquakes. And one is predicted for your area in the next week. Trouble is, the technology can't tell whether it will be a 2.9 or a 9.9 magnitude earthquake. Then suppose the media and your government told you all this but warned you to evacuate or prepare for the worst. What would you do?
My point is, there is no winning in this situation for the media and government. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They can't know what the worst case scenario will be but have to prepare for it anyway.
Personally if I were told there would be an earthquake here in the next week, I'd be in a car hightailing it to my mom's to wait it out. I'd be thrilled if it's only a 2.9 and I could return home and relieved beyond belief if it's a 9.9 and everything in my city is destroyed. I'd have all that was valuable to me and my life intact. And wouldn't have to try and survive for weeks with no food, water, shelter or electricity.
very well said!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times
morristown is still out.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,540,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
That's it, in a nutshell. The media must repeat the warnings continually, in hopes that those who need to know will get the information. That isn't hype. I was grateful to escape the impact. Everyone where I now live was grateful. I haven't heard a single person say "I wish that we'd been hit."

You're right. There's no winning with this.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:30 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,154,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post

rain in west orange started around 3pm, light at first, but then picked up and got steady. it stopped for 15 minutes a little later in the evening, and then poured hard all night until around 6:30am. unless it stopped sometime between 3am-6am (that's when i actually got to sleep) that i didn't know about, and restarted...it was much longer than 6 hours. also, the wind we experienced all day on sunday was hardly moderate. it could have been much worse, but it was pretty bad from 8am through about 3pm on sunday.
I suppose I'm being unfair by not counting the outer bands ahead of the main storm; if you count them it was more like 18 hours of rain. But I was out walking around West Orange (near Northfield&Prospect) at 11am, and there was nothing but a light breeze. The wind didn't pick up until later, and even then it wasn't severe.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 AM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Well, Irene has now been declared one of the top 10 costliest storms in US history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey