U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM

9 posts, read 18,478 times

Advertisements

I commute from Manchester Twp to East Rutherford NJ every day. It's about 135 miles round trip at it takes me (if I'm lucky) 3 hours. This long commute is really getting to me and I was wondering if, due to the current economy: Is this a reasonable commute? Am I just a complainer?... the job pays well (70K), and is stable.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 PM

1,319 posts, read 3,989,287 times
Depends on how you feel about job security, growth, potential, and if you like your job or not. My commute was about 70 miles round trip but due to GW Bridge traffic (I lived in Edgewater doing reverse commute), my commute hours ranged from 1 hour to 3 hour roundtrip.

Job paid decently, liked the company, but eventually potential was gone and I risked job security for another place with more potential and left.

Also the commute was getting to me after 3 years, while I enjoyed living in Edgewater and the surrounding area. The extra time I'd save on commute would have been spent better on other things I enjoy so it just made sense for me to get out of old job. But each to their own. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:37 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,828,614 times
Nah, that's a long as hell commute! I used to reverse commute from Brooklyn and later Queens to Edgewater. It always took me a total of 3+ hours to and from, and it really wasn't even going that far, just how long the subways and bus to NJ took. After 4 years of doing it I had lost all patience with it. The job was worth moving to NJ for, as was the now 15 minute commute! Would you consider moving closer at all?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,807,346 times
mine is 16 miles one way so 32 miles per day. It takes 20 minutes without traffic and 40 with traffic. Job paid OK (slightly more than OP plus bonus). We are double income family with 5-year-old in preschool so one of us will need to work closer to home. My company was in midtown when I first joint. The commute was ok as we were living in Jersey City at that time. Thanks God that my company decided to move to NJ before we decided to buy the house in Berkeley Heights due to concern of school in Jersey City. All I can say is that I am very lucky.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM

1,519 posts, read 3,963,862 times
Default A Change is Brewing...

To some degree, 'reasonable' is a matter of opinion. I could not tolerate that daily commute. But is your commute reasonable to you? The very fact that you're asking the question gives us your answer: No!

Yet in my opinion, you're asking the wrong question(s). Since the commute has really gotten to you, answer these questions first:

1) What is the attraction for me to stay in Manchester Township? (Family, friends, social life, cost of living, etc?)

2) How much value and stability is there in the future of this job?

3) Should I consider moving closer to work or should I change my attitude toward the commute?

You're due for a change in one of three things: your job, your residence, or your complaining (your word, not mine).

Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM

babo111 / brokenaperture, thank you for your replies.

Moving closer is not an option. I really like the area where I live and I bought a house less than a year ago. The job has potential, it's a good company...and the job, I enjoy half of the times. I've been aplying to jobs closer to home...no luck yet I don't want to leave without having another job, but I'm really getting sick of this commute!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
To some degree, 'reasonable' is a matter of opinion. I could not tolerate that daily commute. But is your commute reasonable to you? The very fact that you're asking the question gives us your answer: No!

Yet in my opinion, you're asking the wrong question(s). Since the commute has really gotten to you, answer these questions first:

1) What is the attraction for me to stay in Manchester Township? (Family, friends, social life, cost of living, etc?)

2) How much value and stability is there in the future of this job?

3) Should I consider moving closer to work or should I change my attitude toward the commute?

You're due for a change in one of three things: your job, your residence, or your complaining (your word, not mine).
yes, all the right questions. Thank you. I think I've had the answer for a while, but just kept pushing it. I just hope finding a new job doesn't take too long.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:39 PM

819 posts, read 3,062,687 times
3 hours daily? oh heck no! My total is 40 miles a day. And I'm annoyed at that. But I love my job & been here for 8 years.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:42 PM

71,601 posts, read 67,621,340 times
Mine is about two hours each way. Drive to station, NJ Transit, PATH and walk.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:20 PM

31,774 posts, read 36,489,321 times
i think there are a variety of factors involved with tolerating a long commute. so its a very personal decision. but if you think its too long and what a change, then make sure you have a secure job lined up before you quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey