Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 PM

40 posts, read 105,184 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My husband and I are planning to make a move within the next year to south Jersey. I grew up spending my summers in Ocean City, and we both love Atlantic City as well as other shore towns. We would love to live in a shore town, but it would more than likely be too costly for us and as we are from NYC, we are sick of traffic & tourists. We did some research on house/condo costs, and found Mays Landing & Little Egg Harbor to be very inexpensive and well within our price range. However, we have found little information on the area itself. Is it a good area, specifically Mays Landing? We have been to the mall there and driven through but never really investigated the area. Is there nightlife at all (other than the shore)? What is there to do for fun? Good restaurants? We are looking for a nice place to raise a family as well, is this a good, safe place with good schools? Work wise, my husband is a phys ed teacher and a football coach - is high school football a big deal in this area (or surrounding areas)? Are there lots of opportunities for teachers? I have my own portrait photography business, so available job opportunities are not important to me as long as there are people living in the area I can market my service to.

Ideally, we will be looking for a small starter home/condo, 2-3 bedrooms. Our price range is $150k. I have seen many single family homes and condos listed in Mays Landing for well under that price, even many that were around $50k - is there a reason for this? Are there "bad"/dangerous areas we should watch out for? Are there any other towns you can recommend? We were considering Somers Point, but thought Mays Landing seemed like the better option financially.

Any insight would be great. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 PM

88,041 posts, read 83,864,110 times
You might get better info in the south Jersey sub-forum.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,677,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sMe! View Post
We were considering Somers Point, but thought Mays Landing seemed like the better option financially.

Any insight would be great. Thank you!
I just did a cursory look at Somers Point inventory and there's a lot of stuff either in starter homes or condos that would fit what you're looking for.

Personally, if you like Ocean City that much, I'd go with Somers Point. Mays Landing feels like a world away.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:36 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,296,795 times
Default One, Two, Three...

You may be putting the cart before the horse. Prioritize...

#1) If your husband doesn't have a JOB lined up, don't even think about relocating!

#2) Research the SCHOOLS in each community. South Jersey schools tend to be mediocre, but it depends on what you deem important. Examples:
* Researching Somers Point schools on greatschools.org, you'll discover that students' test scores are terrible, yet parents love the schools!
* Neighboring Linwood has the best performing schools in the area, but parent ratings indicate no more satisfaction than in Somers Point!
* Mays Landing test scores are slightly below average, yet parents tend to be happy with the schools overall.

#3) List the towns/neighborhoods with acceptable schools. Which ones can you afford HOUSING in?
* Mays Landing certainly has some low-cost housing opportunities yet realistically speaking, it's a half-hour drive to the ocean.
* Consider a home in Upper Township (just south of the Great Egg Harbor Bay and west of Ocean City.) The K-8 schools are good. High school students attend OCHS. As I've mentioned previously in another thread, "Think about it... how many high schools are there in America where gym class involves jogging the boardwalk? Go Big Red!"

After your husband gets the job, consider renting for a year in a 'winter rental.' Spend the time getting to know the area before you make the decision on where to settle down to raise your family.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,871,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
You may be putting the cart before the horse. Prioritize...

#1) If your husband doesn't have a JOB lined up, don't even think about relocating!

#2) Research the SCHOOLS in each community. South Jersey schools tend to be mediocre, but it depends on what you deem important. Examples:
* Researching Somers Point schools on greatschools.org, you'll discover that students' test scores are terrible, yet parents love the schools!
* Neighboring Linwood has the best performing schools in the area, but parent ratings indicate no more satisfaction than in Somers Point!
* Mays Landing test scores are slightly below average, yet parents tend to be happy with the schools overall.

#3) List the towns/neighborhoods with acceptable schools. Which ones can you afford HOUSING in?
* Mays Landing certainly has some low-cost housing opportunities yet realistically speaking, it's a half-hour drive to the ocean.
* Consider a home in Upper Township (just south of the Great Egg Harbor Bay and west of Ocean City.) The K-8 schools are good. High school students attend OCHS. As I've mentioned previously in another thread, "Think about it... how many high schools are there in America where gym class involves jogging the boardwalk? Go Big Red!"

After your husband gets the job, consider renting for a year in a 'winter rental.' Spend the time getting to know the area before you make the decision on where to settle down to raise your family.

I agree.

Anyway, Mays Landing is a nice little town, there's things to do, a few restaurants, but for night life, you're going to have to head into Atlantic City or Philadelphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You might get better info in the south Jersey sub-forum.
This county, as well as mine, isn't included in the suburbs of Philadelphia forum.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:56 AM

88,041 posts, read 83,864,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I agree.

Anyway, Mays Landing is a nice little town, there's things to do, a few restaurants, but for night life, you're going to have to head into Atlantic City or Philadelphia.

This county, as well as mine, isn't included in the suburbs of Philadelphia forum.
Aha, I didn't realize that. I've never actually looked to closely at that sub-forum since they started it. I sort of assumed it was for all of south Jersey, sorry.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:54 AM

50,135 posts, read 35,792,448 times
Mays Landing has good parts and bad parts. The sections closer to the mall where the majority of apartments and condos are has more crime than Mays Landing proper (which is lovely). Little Egg Harbor is very rural even though on the water, there's nothing to do there, generally lower income, and very buggy. I agree look closer such as Somer's Point or Upper Twp. From Mays Landing and Little Egg you'll have to contend with the traffic and tourists much more when you drive to AC or the beach than you will from those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey