Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you stay in NJ or leave
I love paying high taxes and supporting corrupt politicians. 9 28.13%
I am outta here on the next bus 12 37.50%
I cant afford to stay but i also cant afford to leave 5 15.63%
Undecided 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:54 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,276 times

Advertisements

Since it seems like everyone on the NJ forum either loves New Jersey or hates it, it would be interesting to see how many people really want to leave and how many would like to stay. Many people have families in the NY/NJ area and dont want to leave. The cost of living in NJ has gone up ten fold in the past 5 years. The salaries however have not gone up in proportion. As everyone knows, property taxes are sky high. It seems like the general consensus on this forum, the only thing NJ has going for it is close proximity to the shore and NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 01:58 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,668,815 times
Your poll doesn't exactly give *all* the options there, does it?

Old 08-16-2007, 02:58 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
Given my job allows us to live how we would like to, I'll stick around. Once I'm done career-wise, we're gone.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 PM

518 posts, read 1,792,100 times
Since NJ makes it hard for the middle class familly to stay, we will probably be out of here once I can save enough money to move. Its true, NJ is a great place with opportunities for the poor or the very rich, us middle of the road, working class are screwed.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:35 PM

531 posts, read 2,149,844 times
What I like about Jersey: my family, my friends, my job. Also, the fact that I've never had to look for more than 2-3 weeks for a job when I needed (or wanted) one.

What I dislike about Jersey: The taxes, the traffic, the winters.

Why moving from Jersey scares me: What if I get laid off and can't find a job? I know too many people with perfectly sound skillsets who live in places like NC and SC and GA who spend months looking for work. The only way that's going to happen to you in Jersey is if you're an idiot. The last thing I want is to sell my home in Jersey, move to the Carolinas, and have to move back. That would be financially draining not to mention personally embarrassing.

Conclusion and final vote: Undecided.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,686 times
I originally moved out of NJ and to Orlando, FL in 2004 because of the increasingly high cost of housing. The place I was renting in NJ was being sold at at the time and there was nothing I could afford in NJ. Three years later, I have yet to find a good job in FL and I find that the cost of living is almost as much on less than 1/2 of the pay I was getting in NJ. I am on my way back up there as soon I can. Just look at the Orlando board and you will see just how bad things are down here.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:19 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,276 times
I moved from Brooklyn to Central Jersey (Lakewood) in 2000. At first i considered Lakewood to be a hick town. In Brooklyn i took the bus or subway everywhere. If i wanted to go shopping, i walked a block or two and had everything i needed. After a while nj grew on me, especially when i went back to visit Brooklyn and saw how crowded it was. I couldnt wait to get back to NJ. I really like NJ. It has alot of good points. The weather where i live is not too bad. We dont get hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes or anything extreme. We are close to beaches and there are great parks. Shopping is plentiful. I have a good job and family is close by. I do want to own a home eventually and i know that wont happen in NJ. The only places in NJ i can afford are either fixer uppers (more like faller downers) and in cities like camden,trenton and way south west jersey which is also ghetto. I am sure alot of people are in the same boat as i am. If the high house prices doesnt get you, the taxes will. I am sorry to see you go NJ but your borders are only for the rich

Old 08-16-2007, 08:41 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,802 times
Okay I must say, even though the things listed on the poll (taxes, politicians) suck, it's kind of weird to say that one would 'love' NJ for those reasons. In fact, that's what most people hate the most about this state and of course not the reason people would stay.

Just a thought

Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
What I like about Jersey: my family, my friends, my job. Also, the fact that I've never had to look for more than 2-3 weeks for a job when I needed (or wanted) one.

What I dislike about Jersey: The taxes, the traffic, the winters.

Why moving from Jersey scares me: What if I get laid off and can't find a job? I know too many people with perfectly sound skillsets who live in places like NC and SC and GA who spend months looking for work. The only way that's going to happen to you in Jersey is if you're an idiot. The last thing I want is to sell my home in Jersey, move to the Carolinas, and have to move back. That would be financially draining not to mention personally embarrassing.

Conclusion and final vote: Undecided.
Agreed. I used to have thoughts about moving out, but there are many things I took for granted here in NJ

Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,596 times
There is just too much to love here in Jersey. I'm in it for keeps :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey