U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:35 PM

31 posts, read 93,699 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been shopping for a home in the Morris-Sussex area since April. I am currently living in CT and I will be working in Parsippany, so as close I can get to there is best. I'd like to be within 30 mins of Parsippany.

Everything I have seen needs a TON of work (I mean new floors, carpet, knock em down and start over) The on-line pics look good, but when I get there the places are AWFUL AND they want top dollar. I am so frustrated and ready to throw in the towel, but that wont help.

I dont want a condo/townhouse (done that). All I am asking for is a clean, move-in ready 2br or 3 br home in a nice neighborhood with a garage (need that) basement (or something for storage--negotible) for under 260k. Is there a hole in my screen door or what?

Sorry for the rant--I just dont know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 06:43 PM

531 posts, read 1,999,620 times
If you can't find what you want for the price you're willing to pay, change something.

Increase your budget or change your requirements.

Of course, that assumes you've established that the product you seek isn't available for the price you're willing to pay.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,539,245 times
UNDER 260k...IN Northern NJ? ....I havent anything in the condition you want for that price in the past 10 years. Our friends purchased in Wykoff (bergen) in 99...its 3 bedrooms 2 baths..2 car detached garage..schools are awesome..BACK then they paid almost 400..Now they want to sell it or are thinking of it for 950.

And you want something under 260k....I think that is a tough onel. We are following the market in Bergen and rockland and I dont see the "huge" fall that everyone is talking about.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:45 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurie12 View Post
Hi all,

I have been shopping for a home in the Morris-Sussex area since April. I am currently living in CT and I will be working in Parsippany, so as close I can get to there is best. I'd like to be within 30 mins of Parsippany.

Everything I have seen needs a TON of work (I mean new floors, carpet, knock em down and start over) The on-line pics look good, but when I get there the places are AWFUL AND they want top dollar. I am so frustrated and ready to throw in the towel, but that wont help.

I dont want a condo/townhouse (done that). All I am asking for is a clean, move-in ready 2br or 3 br home in a nice neighborhood with a garage (need that) basement (or something for storage--negotible) for under 260k. Is there a hole in my screen door or what?

Sorry for the rant--I just dont know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!
no promises, but look at zip 07853. you *MAY* (BIG MAY) be able to get something.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:23 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice so far, let me add there I have seen some places for the price I am looking for, they just were too far from Parsippany or in a bad locale. Vernon and Montague are beautiful, but the commute is too much for us at least.

And I agree with Mom2gurls--I dont see this huge drop everyone is chatting about. I could see if I was looking in Bergen or anyplace close to NY, but west of Parsippany should yield some results.

Tahiti, I'll see what works out in that zip--thanks. And if anyone hears anything, please let me know!

Old 08-17-2007, 06:25 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,625,205 times
Maurie12...Sent you a PM

Old 08-17-2007, 06:55 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,798,777 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the advice so far, let me add there I have seen some places for the price I am looking for, they just were too far from Parsippany or in a bad locale. Vernon and Montague are beautiful, but the commute is too much for us at least.

And I agree with Mom2gurls--I dont see this huge drop everyone is chatting about. I could see if I was looking in Bergen or anyplace close to NY, but west of Parsippany should yield some results.

Tahiti, I'll see what works out in that zip--thanks. And if anyone hears anything, please let me know!
yes, the prices aren't tumbling, but they are coming down slowly. properties are sitting forever though, and sellers seem to refuse to drop to levels to move them. there's a house in my town i pass all the time - started on the market at $650K a YEAR ago, now at $549K, hasn't budged. the owners paid $270K, now i'm seeing signs in addition to the realtor sign (MUST SELL!). drop the price! either that or ppl think the property's stale.

anyway, i'm on a tangent. i think if you settled for a townhouse you'd be ok, single family is a little tough at the price point. you could always give a lowball offer, couldn't hurt!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 AM

13,320 posts, read 20,785,207 times
Maurie12 Sent you a PM as well

Old 08-17-2007, 04:59 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,539,245 times
Quote:

I feel your pain...we live in dutchess an hour north of the city in NY..and dh is in bergen..so we have been "following the market" of bergen, rockland and orange counties...we have three girls so we really need at least 4 bedrooms and for sanities sake 2-3 baths (LOL). Anyway..even up here..there are many many new subdivisions and the homes are just SITTING. I have one to the east of us..the homes were purchased when the developments first opened up (can tell because of where they are on the site map and they purchased at 300k) about 7 years ago..they are both listed for over 700k (I think one is 659k) taxes are 15k....Same with a development to the west of us..except those homes started in the 400's.

Anyway listed at about 700k..taxes 16k. I looked it up the realtors website.

All four homes have been on the market since January. The sellers are NOT dropping there prices..the homes were built 2000-2002..waay before the "boom", so you would think the sellers mortgage amounts are low because they purchased in the opening phases.

I could see if they bought in the last phase when divisions were closing out and they had really no choice but to sell high because of there mortgage balance and not enough equity built up...But the ones i am talking of up here are a dime a dozen..and they are just sitting.

And quite frankly...it kind of makes me as potential buyer a bit mad!! LOLOL.

I mean you already bought low and now you want to sell high....I think there are some sellers out there that really arent "selling"..they are just wasting the real estate agents time..and just holding out for an offer that may not come along!'

LOL

Old 08-17-2007, 06:20 PM

Default As the Knob Turns....Looking for a house in Northern NJ

Hi again!

Summering and Joe, I got your msgs, I responded a little bit ago. Thanks SO much!

Mom2gurls, I will be praying you get the home you need! There are two girls in my fam, and we need both bathrooms-- so I feel your pain! LOL!

Tahiti my friend, (long time, no chat)I am SO trying not to go with a townhouse if possible. I live in one now with an AWESOME neighbor that has two small kids you hardly know are there. What are the chances of that happening again? And I also want to be able to entertain my family in a yard. My life story is another thread, but in short, if I can, I'd like to own a home--besides fulfilling a dream for me, if something should happen to my parents (God forbid) if they need to come with us, they can.

I spoke with my realtor today and they are telling me the market stinks and to be patient--something will come up. So, maybe I will give up my search for a few days, pack some of my stuff in faith and start fresh next week.

Just venting about this makes me feel so much better--thanks for the support and tune in next time for another episode of "As the Knob Turns"

(Dramatic organ music playing)

...Will Maurie find a home w/garage
...will it be clean and move in ready?
...will she be able to have her new house in time for the holidays?

Thanks and please keep the suggestions coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or