Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 69,569 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what suburbs of New York City have the largest Jewish population. I have gotten mixed reviews. One person said it was Scarsdale, another suggested Jericho, but my gut told me it was Great Neck. A few people said that none of these responses were correct and it's actually a more middle-class town in Rockland County. Perhaps if were to list a few towns, you could rank them from highest to lowest Jewish population. I will give my estimate, with 1 representing the most Jewish.

1. Great Neck, LI
2. Scarsdale, Westchester
3. Jericho, LI
4. Roslyn, LI
5. Chappaqua, Westchester
6. Livingston, NJ
7. Rockland County? (New City, West Nyack, Suffern?)
8. Five Towns, LI (Specifically Hewlett)
9. Port Washington, LI
10. Syosset, LI

To be clear, I am differentiating between secular and orthodox. I am asking for suburbs that have the most secular Jews so places like Williamsburg in Brooklyn need not apply. I am posting this on all the forums related to New York and its suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 PM

153 posts, read 377,218 times
...Fair Lawn? Woodcliffe Lake?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
Monsey NY

Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 PM

153 posts, read 377,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Monsey NY
What I've seen up there(having lived on the border), is more orthodox, if anything.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirhc Yam View Post
I would like to know what suburbs of New York City have the largest Jewish population. I have gotten mixed reviews. One person said it was Scarsdale, another suggested Jericho, but my gut told me it was Great Neck. A few people said that none of these responses were correct and it's actually a more middle-class town in Rockland County. Perhaps if were to list a few towns, you could rank them from highest to lowest Jewish population. I will give my estimate, with 1 representing the most Jewish.

1. Great Neck, LI
2. Scarsdale, Westchester
3. Jericho, LI
4. Roslyn, LI
5. Chappaqua, Westchester
6. Livingston, NJ
7. Rockland County? (New City, West Nyack, Suffern?)
8. Five Towns, LI (Specifically Hewlett)
9. Port Washington, LI
10. Syosset, LI

To be clear, I am differentiating between secular and orthodox. I am asking for suburbs that have the most secular Jews so places like Williamsburg in Brooklyn need not apply. I am posting this on all the forums related to New York and its suburbs.
What for?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 PM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Fair Lawn is the first one that comes to mind.

There's even a joke that it's called Fair Lawn because there's a Rosenbloom on every corner.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,175 times
The more secular jews don't cluster like they used to, you can find some in most towns in the area but there isn't anywhere off the top of my head which is ultra-jewish anymore except for the orthodox areas.

Probably the closest thing you'll find is New City up in Rockland county. Maybe Scarsdale and parts of LI (don't know those suburbs well).

Old 09-02-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZM91 View Post
What I've seen up there(having lived on the border), is more orthodox, if anything.
They are still Jewish, orthodox or not.

But I don't know this for a fact. Not something I have researched or care about since I am not Jewish.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 09-02-2011 at 10:04 PM..

Old 09-02-2011, 09:57 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
They are still Jewish, orthodox or not.
Yeah, but a secular jew and a gentile are going to have more in common culturally than a secular jew and an orthodox jew, or even more so, a hasid.

Someone looking for somewhere to live is going to be utterly unhelped by knowing where the orthodox do. Tbh a secular "jewish suburb" doesn't really exist anymore.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Yeah, but a secular jew and a gentile are going to have more in common culturally than a secular jew and an orthodox jew, or even more so, a hasid.

Someone looking for somewhere to live is going to be utterly unhelped by knowing where the orthodox do. Tbh a secular "jewish suburb" doesn't really exist anymore.
My mistake. Just re-read the OP and saw they are asking about secular exclusively.

I would agree with you in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey