Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,975 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My employer is transferring me to NYC from VA, and a co-worker has recommended Hackensack. I've come across apartment complexes along Moonachie Road, near Maple Grove Cemetery, in online searches. Price ranges are fine, and it is in walking distance to a big supermarket (ShopRite), and some smaller stores. Could anybody share candid feedback about the area with me?

Thx in advance,
Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 03:41 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,019,732 times
There's nothing special in either way about that area. I don't think you'd have any issues with personal safety there. We do our grocery shopping at that Shop Rite and other assorted odds and ends in that plaza (and when the Taco Bell craving hits...). You could certainly do much worse in Hackensack.

Are you talking about those newer developments on River St? They look very nice, some friends of mine are actually looking into those. If you're not looking to walk to many places in town, you do have the Shop Rite and all the stores in the plaza across River which is convenient. Just not the same "walkable" experience most people talk about. Fairly decent bus access into the city right there as well.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 PM

Thanks so much for the info. The apartment complexes are on Moonachie Road...Google maps shows some sort of exotic fish store to be on the same street.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:54 PM

Ah ok, I know which apartments you're talking about. Right on Moonachie and Hudson. You'd also be close to the H-Mart in Little Ferry and Indian Lake is nice for a walk in good weather. All in all, it's a good location, some of Hackensack is not so great and as a whole the city isn't exceptionally pretty looking but there's nothing wrong with that area. You'll need a car for sure but being close to Hudson and River makes getting to every other part of Hackensack very easy. Since you're new to the area, let us know what kinda places you like (food, bars, entertainment, ect) and we'll be glad to offer up recommendations. It's a very convenient part of Bergen County to live in with plenty to offer right in Hackensack and the towns surrounding it.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:04 PM

3,610 posts, read 3,858,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theastra View Post
Hi,

My employer is transferring me to NYC from VA, and a co-worker has recommended Hackensack. I've come across apartment complexes along Moonachie Road, near Maple Grove Cemetery, in online searches. Price ranges are fine, and it is in walking distance to a big supermarket (ShopRite), and some smaller stores. Could anybody share candid feedback about the area with me?

Thx in advance,
Sean
The town is very well located from a transit perspective and has some really nice stores and restaurants both within it and within a short drive. It is also one of cheapest safe areas in the close in NYC suburbs.

The downside is that the schools are abysmal and the town is sort of ugly. There are microneighborhoods that are kind of sketch, so visit the specific apartment before signing a lease.

I think that the town is really nice for a childless couple on a budget, good but not great for a single person on a budget (it's a good choice if you have to be in the suburbs; but, I would suggest instead living in the city with roommates), and an irredeemably terrible choice for a family.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:19 PM

Thanks, appreciate all the info. I have heard/read about the school system there; fortunately, on that front, I dont have any kids to send there!

I love to drive, so I am glad I get to keep my car. I have seen the complex and a sample unit, and they looked fine. I didnt have much of a chance to look around the neighborhood, hence the post on this forum, but from what I did see it wasnt overly pretty or ugly...pretty much working class.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:14 PM

Well I hope ya like traffic as well, sometimes Bergen County can get a bit backed up, but once ya get used to it, it's not so bad

That's pretty par for the course on the appearance of the city and the towns that surround it. Working class, overall pretty quiet and peaceful. A few jerks here and there but that's anywhere. I love living around here, coming from Brooklyn and Queens it was a nice change of pace in life but also a bit familiar.

Yeah the schools aren't exactly great, but if you have no kids then of course it's not a concern. I think you'll be pretty good moving there, and if you do end up hating it, well then you can just move out when your lease is up! There's plenty of great, accessible, convenient and affordable towns in central/lower Bergen County that will get you to the city relatively easily but also offer plenty in the homefront as well.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 AM

54 posts, read 265,059 times
living in hackensack for 3 years now. take a look at prospect ave, probably the best area in hackensack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey