Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

[quote=bradykp;20857989]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

yeah, sure "over 40% less"....meaning cedar grove's effective rate is 1.657% and west orange's is 2.954%....or a 1.297% difference. it's nothing to laugh at, but the it's much less dramatic than saying 40%. yes, we pay more in west orange. we have a larger population. we have more city services. i'd love to see my taxes lower, but there are a lot of factors, and commercial space is certainly a decent factor. look at parmus's taxes...
i guess you mean paramus? i didn't look them up, but I guess I'd ask the same question if they are in the same boat as WO.

what about livingston?

I'm not knocking WO but I don't know why it's so dramatically more than other towns in the same county and I don't think it's as easy as saying "we have more services".....

am i pissing you off yet? lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 AM

186 posts, read 734,581 times
[quote=bradykp;20859045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd005 View Post

as i said above, the general rate is based on the town's assessment. west orange just did an assessment, so the new general tax rate is around 3.4%. the effective tax rate is an estimation to normalize across towns for comparisons...based on market values. so the 13% WO rate was based on assessments from the 80s with houses assessed well below $100,000....
LOL wow, so they were still going by that tax rate of the 80's and only woke up in 2011 to do a reassessment??!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd005 View Post
LOL wow, so they were still going by that tax rate of the 80's and only woke up in 2011 to do a reassessment??!
i don't think you understand fully.

a town needs $100,000,000 to operate...they don't do assessments every year to ensure the tax rate is correct. they change the tax rate periodically, based on the assessment, to ensure the revenue is correct.

it's not really that important, except for when you start mixing in newer homes that are dispraportionate to the rest of town.

so, if a house was assessed at $75,000 in 1990...they just increased the tax rate to ensure they collected enough revenue. now that the house is assessed at $400,000, they pay a lower rate, but the same dollars, essentially.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:33 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
[quote=tahiti;20859060]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post

i guess you mean paramus? i didn't look them up, but I guess I'd ask the same question if they are in the same boat as WO.

what about livingston?

I'm not knocking WO but I don't know why it's so dramatically more than other towns in the same county and I don't think it's as easy as saying "we have more services".....

am i pissing you off yet? lol!
paramus has very low taxes because of the amount of commercial space there. but, you have to deal with route 17 and 4...pick your evils. i'll take higher taxes personally.

WO taxes? it appears as though the cities in the county range from around 1.548 to 3.3...i don't know that i would call that dramatic, given the different makeups of each city.

Population Size
City Services
School population
Commercial tax base

etc. there are a number of factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey