Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...for something that will surely kill them.

Yes, I guess that it is a good idea to pay less for an addiction that inevitably leads to incredible damage to one's heart, lungs, and circulatory system.

Why anyone continues to smoke in this day and age is something that is beyond my comprehension.
My parents, and my brother, all quit--"cold turkey"--about 30 years ago, and they reported only mild discomfort for the first 24 hours. After the first 24 hours, it was not a very bad experience. And, they never slipped back into tobacco addiction.

As long as someone has determination to rid himself/herself of this addiction, it can be done, and it is not as difficult as is sometimes claimed.

It all comes down to...resolve...personal conviction...and the ability to defer gratification.
If nothing else, visualizing yourself hooked up to a respirator and being unable to speak--while your family looks on helplessly as you slip into unconsciousness--should give you some motivation to give up this expensive and pointless addiction.
that's exactly what happened to my mother. i hate cigs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 AM

91 posts, read 205,675 times
Cigs are bad. Fast food is bad. Alcohol is bad. Gambling is bad. Lysol is bad. Tobacco always gets the bad rap.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would like to know what they consider "smuggled into the state illegally". My mom is in the hospital in NE, while in Philly I bought 2 packs of cigs...did I "smuggle them into NJ" when I crossed the bridge?
Nope. You are allowed to bring 4 cartons into the state. The Philly stations have run pieces on this off & on for decades, because PA residents make runs to Delaware as well as South Jersey residents. I don't remember the limit for PA, because it didn't have an effect on me. There are no figures on smuggled cigarettes unless the state police make a big bust, so more than likely their figure includes cigarettes brought into the state legally.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 AM

when i was 14 we (me and parents) took a trip to NC for the sole purpose of stocking up on cigarettes. so effed up looking back. LOL

Old 09-08-2011, 08:18 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
40 percent of all N.J. cigarettes smuggled into state illegally | NJ.com

Tax is too high so people will just stock up elsewhere, purchase over the internet, or on the "black market"

Even a lot of retailers sell them from out of state.
doesn't something like less than 20% of new jersey residents smoke? who cares?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yup. Not only are cigarettes much cheaper in Delaware, but there's no sales tax, period. That's what they get for ignoring South Jersey. It's fast & easy to get to Delaware from most of South Jersey.
they toll you on your way out though.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyloca View Post
Cigs are bad. Fast food is bad. Alcohol is bad. Gambling is bad. Lysol is bad. Tobacco always gets the bad rap.
you can eat a burger from mcdonald's a couple times a week and still not be in horrible health. if you drink a certain quanity of alcohol, it's actually good for you. gambling does nothing to your personal health, just your checkbook.

you can't smoke cigarettes without a serious increased risk of health issues. it's not tobacco...it's cigarettes. tobacco itself isn't as toxic as what ends up in a ciagrette sold to us.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
they toll you on your way out though.
Trust me, you more than save the amount of the toll.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
doesn't something like less than 20% of new jersey residents smoke? who cares?
with a population of about 8.8 million people, if 20% of them smoke that makes 1.76 million people that care. it also seems like the government cares about its revenue. im sure there are other stakeholders that care as well, one way or another.

but thats an interesting concept. if something impacts less than 20% of people in a given area, should we then not care what happens since it only impacts 20% of the people?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:27 AM

seems to me more people would want sky high taxes on cigarettes, after all it you the taxpayer who ends up paying for these smoking related illnesses through higher health care costs. i didn't realize we had so many willing to part with their hard earned dollars so easily to help those who make bad choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey