U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 PM
 
2 posts, read 12,695 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi everyone
I am currently a senior at rutgers new brunswick. I just managed to get my GPA at 2.755 after working my ass off last semester cause I did horrible the first two years. I couldn't apply for the five year master certification program because they want something close to a 3.0. The program coordinator told me I could apply fo the post bac program with certification(not 100 percet of getting accepted) but that's another 2 more years and my parents refuse to pay the money. So I am looking at all the programs and the threads here. Basically I know CE isn't as good as CEAS but do I have a shot at getting jobs as a High school Math teacher with a CE?

Oh and I forget to mention I am a math major, I am currently studying geometry and theory of probability which are 400 level math classes.

Or is there other career options avaiable to pure math major with relatively low gpa? I am going to study my ass off this and the coming semester and try to get above 3.0.

But judging my gpa and major, what can I do? I am really stressed thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 PM
 
3,309 posts, read 3,288,871 times
Reputation: 1959
In the current economy and with no experience you'll have trouble finding a "good" teaching position (public school in the suburbs), but, talk to a teacher or school admin about the second best cert or degree to get, do that, put your time in (2-3 years) in a less desirable school (inner-city or catholic) system and when you get out your GPA won't matter so much, the economy will (hopefully) be better, and you will be an experienced teacher with a degree in math, which there always has and in all likelihood always will be/en a serious shortage of.

While getting whatever degree or cert you need volunteer to tutor underprivileged kids (there are lots of organizations that do this) in your spare time. This shows both a commitment to education and will help you get that inner-city starter job if you decide to go that route.

As an aside, the job market is absolutely terrible for math majors these days because of the bloodbath in finance (which used to absorb a lot of the graduates) unless you can code well. If you start cranking out applications with nothing but that degree you will end up badly underemployed, if employed at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 12:45 AM
 
Location: Bergen County, NJ
153 posts, read 335,299 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zichen0625 View Post

Or is there other career options avaiable to pure math major with relatively low gpa? I am going to study my ass off this and the coming semester and try to get above 3.0.
.
Actuary stuff, perhaps?

Other than that, to be brutally honest, not much more than waiting tables, bagging groceries, and commission based sales jobs available these days from what I hear/see, unless you really know someone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 AM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,870,835 times
Reputation: 8068
You could try subbing at local schools to see if teaching is what you really want to do.

I'm just passing through, so here are some random thoughts without answering the certification question. In my opinion, teachers need good social skills more than math skills. The math in high school is easy. Dealing with hormone-challenged and rebellious students is hard. If you have a really good social IQ and enormous patience then I suppose teaching might work for you.

I think it's best to get a masters degree if you're going on in math, right? Or you could take an undergrad in math and use it to go into a variety of other graduate options.

Your parents wouldn't have to pay for graduate school, there's usually some way of paying it off by being an undergrad instructor or whatever. Some places that are crappy to live in like Alaskan villages, will pay your entire way through if you agree to stay and teach their kids for a few years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 04:05 AM
 
4,142 posts, read 9,600,840 times
Reputation: 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zichen0625 View Post
The program coordinator told me I could apply fo the post bac program with certification(not 100 percet of getting accepted) but that's another 2 more years and my parents refuse to pay the money.
If you want to do it, do it. Take out student loans and/or get a job while going to school. Most people have to do that for college, not rely on their parents to pay for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 PM
 
2 posts, read 12,695 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You could try subbing at local schools to see if teaching is what you really want to do.

I'm just passing through, so here are some random thoughts without answering the certification question. In my opinion, teachers need good social skills more than math skills. The math in high school is easy. Dealing with hormone-challenged and rebellious students is hard. If you have a really good social IQ and enormous patience then I suppose teaching might work for you.

I think it's best to get a masters degree if you're going on in math, right? Or you could take an undergrad in math and use it to go into a variety of other graduate options.

Your parents wouldn't have to pay for graduate school, there's usually some way of paying it off by being an undergrad instructor or whatever. Some places that are crappy to live in like Alaskan villages, will pay your entire way through if you agree to stay and teach their kids for a few years.
Thanks everyone for your post, I really appreciate it. I just talk to the dean of education today and she told me I could still apply for the five year program but I have to postpone my graduation date a year late. However, that seems to be the best option.

And I do like the ideas of subbing and volunteer tutoring. I cant sub yet since I still have school in the mornings. But I will start volunteer tutoring. Plus I still work at kumon and have some private tutoring aside. Would that be enough experience as an undergraduate or is there anything else I can do? Thanks everyone again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Toms River, NJ
1,106 posts, read 4,596,598 times
Reputation: 655
You have to keep your GPA above a 2.75 to qualify for any certification in NJ.

The fact that you are a math major gives you a little advantage. So this is what I would do if I were you.

Apply for Substitute teacher certification in Counties where you could substitute.

Apply for substitute positions in urban districts (pick what's close to you) and perhaps the district where you went to school: (some urban districts - Paterson, Plainfield, Elizabeth, Trenton, Newark...)

If you start subbing get to know the Math Supervisors and the Principals.

Hope that they like you. Hope that you can handle working in an Urban district. Hope that they would consider hiring you through Alternate Route.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top