Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:38 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,055 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of homes in the tri state area NJ are flooded. Are they having any black mold issues in the basement? If so, what are they doing?

Professional help ($4,000 and up) or Do It Yourself solution? Does it need immediate attention?

Last edited by FreshFresh; 09-07-2011 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 03:46 PM

357 posts, read 1,026,598 times
Yes it needs IMMEDIATE attention. Why even wait for the mold to show up, if there is paper products (sheet rock) cut it out BEFORE mold grows.

Bleach and water kill mold as well if there area is not tooo big. I think they have this as 10x10.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:45 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
I had a company called Servpro come in to clean the basement and cut the sheetrock 1ft. We had sewer backup from the street, lost about everything in the basement.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
I am worried about this too.

I have a finished, carpeted basement. The HVAC and sump pump are walled off to the side in a separate room (with a door). This room has a concrete floor and I keep the door shut.

When the electricity went out for about 24 hours, the sump pump stopped, obviously. I got about a half inch of water in the HVAC/sump pump room, and this seeped out into the regular, finished/carpeted part of the basement, about a foot or two outside the door and the wall that contains that door. Water also seeped out into the perimeter of the finished part of the basement (a couple of inches or so out from the wall). Really, just 2 walls with this problem. I'm not really sure how this happened, but it happened.

I shoveled a lot of water out as it was happening. Afterwards, I had the dehumidifier going in the basement all day every day for a week. It's almost all dry now.

You can hardly tell that anything even happened down there. But sections of the carpet did get wet, and now there's a musty dirty sock odor down there. However, I don't think enough damage happened for me to justify ripping all the carpet out. Plus, like I said, it's nearly completely dry now.

My brother is telling me I should've already called my homeowner's insurance...supposedly they will send somebody out to survey for mold or something.

Anybody have any insights?

If I should just suck it up, tell me. I didn't suffer even a fraction of what other homeowners did. That's kinda why I didn't call my insurance. I felt like they probably had tens of thousands of bigger fish to fry than my damp-ish carpet.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I am worried about this too.

I have a finished, carpeted basement. The HVAC and sump pump are walled off to the side in a separate room (with a door). This room has a concrete floor and I keep the door shut.

When the electricity went out for about 24 hours, the sump pump stopped, obviously. I got about a half inch of water in the HVAC/sump pump room, and this seeped out into the regular, finished/carpeted part of the basement, about a foot or two outside the door and the wall that contains that door. Water also seeped out into the perimeter of the finished part of the basement (a couple of inches or so out from the wall). Really, just 2 walls with this problem. I'm not really sure how this happened, but it happened.

I shoveled a lot of water out as it was happening. Afterwards, I had the dehumidifier going in the basement all day every day for a week. It's almost all dry now.

You can hardly tell that anything even happened down there. But sections of the carpet did get wet, and now there's a musty dirty sock odor down there. However, I don't think enough damage happened for me to justify ripping all the carpet out. Plus, like I said, it's nearly completely dry now.

My brother is telling me I should've already called my homeowner's insurance...supposedly they will send somebody out to survey for mold or something.

Anybody have any insights?

If I should just suck it up, tell me. I didn't suffer even a fraction of what other homeowners did. That's kinda why I didn't call my insurance. I felt like they probably had tens of thousands of bigger fish to fry than my damp-ish carpet.
FEMA is saying no matter how small...put in a claim.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
just as an example not due to flooding. i had a humidifier on in our bedroom and it must have leaked cause the carpet was wet for a couple of days and i didnt notice. it started to get that weird moldy smell and i had my husband pull the carpet up. the mold had already started forming and actually almost ruined the sub-floor. we had to remove the carpeting and put in new flooring. so you can imagine what a little water can do. you WILL have mold under there--very dangerous.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:01 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I had a company called Servpro come in to clean the basement and cut the sheetrock 1ft. We had sewer backup from the street, lost about everything in the basement.
I much did that cost? and did they prevent your basement from ever having mold again?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:02 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
FEMA is saying no matter how small...put in a claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
just as an example not due to flooding. i had a humidifier on in our bedroom and it must have leaked cause the carpet was wet for a couple of days and i didnt notice. it started to get that weird moldy smell and i had my husband pull the carpet up. the mold had already started forming and actually almost ruined the sub-floor. we had to remove the carpeting and put in new flooring. so you can imagine what a little water can do. you WILL have mold under there--very dangerous.
Ugh.

Ok. Thank you guys. I guess I will be calling my insurance after all.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:27 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Buy that generator people, it's cheap insurance.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I much did that cost? and did they prevent your basement from ever having mold again?

It was included in my insurance. The guy showed me the Statement of Work, it was about $3K. Little good it did, went down in the basement this morning and wouldn't you know it, flood again. But thankfully its not from sewer backup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey