Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 PM

21 posts, read 56,814 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be commuting from NJ (jersey city) to CT(norwalk) regularly from the next week. Can someone suggest me which EZ pass I need to buy (EZ pass NY or EZ pass NJ)? When is a best time (before 8am?) to commute in Holland tunnel so that I do not have to face traffic? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
I can't imagine any route involving the Holland Tunnel being a good one. I'd probably take the roundabout route all the way up to the Tappan Zee. Then I'd move.

Google Maps suggests the George Washington Bridge, but that's been a disaster every time I've taken it.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 AM

Thanks nybbler for your opinion. I have heard that there is massive traffic in Tappan Zee. Google map shows holland tunnel as shortest. Can you tell me how would the following route be if I leave before 7am?
Holland tunnel-New York 9A N- I 95 N - norwalk

Old 09-05-2011, 11:01 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelsheyal View Post
Thanks nybbler for your opinion. I have heard that there is massive traffic in Tappan Zee. Google map shows holland tunnel as shortest. Can you tell me how would the following route be if I leave before 7am?
Holland tunnel-New York 9A N- I 95 N - norwalk
This route is really fast if you leave Jersey City by 6AM. Any later and it will take an eternity. I occasionally use this route to get to New Haven or Hartford, and if I'm on the road by 6AM it's a breeze. No traffic at the Holland, Cross Bronx, NE Thruway, or in CT.

Unfortunately, the afternoon rush hour is so spread out that it's hard to find a time when it'll be "easy" to drive back. 95 stinks all afternoon/evening, the Cross Bronx is bad until 10 PM, the Holland Tunnel leaving the city is bad until 8 PM. You might be better off going to the Tappan Zee Bridge in the afternoon (there is massive traffic there, but it's better than the alternative), though it's frustrating that there's no direct route back to Jersey City from there.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Thanks lammius. Your info is really helpful. How about the traffic in highway 15 parallel to 95? Specially during returning from CT to NJ?
BTW which road do you take going to CT from NJ in the weekdays?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Hi,

I will be commuting from NJ (jersey city) to CT(norwalk) regularly from the next week. Can someone suggest me which EZ pass I need to buy (EZ pass NY or EZ pass NJ)? When is a best time (before 8am?) to commute in Holland tunnel so that I do not have to face traffic? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neel
UTTER MADNESS The tunnel traffic and traffic through NYC is a parking lot ur guaranteed to go nowhere. However There is a way around it though. USE PATH to WTC then walk to fulton transit center station 2 blocks by broadway then use uptown 4 or 5 trains to grand central then use metro-north to norwalk. HINT: ALL TRAINS TO NORWALK ARE EXPRESS. The train commute as expensive as it may be its probably the only practical way to do it!!!!!!!! The holland tunnel is a parking lot. Ur better off with the train plus since ur a daily traveller you will NOT pay peak fare. Actually the fastest way is by transit. Where in norwalk are you heading to?? This way I can help you better.

OHH and the transit commute is even faster in the afternoon as trains have no intermidiate stops after stamford most go non stop to manhattan. Since you are heading in reverse the subway part will be the easiest as ur avoiding the crowds.

OHH one more thing all the trains you will use are EXPRESS trains!!!!!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 AM

Thanks qjbusmaster. I will be going to Glover Avenue at Norwalk. How long does it take from grand central to merrit 7 station in the peak hours? Do you have any better route? There will lot of break journey in this route.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Guys! What about if I take GW bridge-87N- 15N to reach norwalk? Which time would be good to take this route in either direction? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks qjbusmaster. I will be going to Glover Avenue at Norwalk. How long does it take from grand central to merrit 7 station in the peak hours? Do you have any better route? There will lot of break journey in this route.
an hour and 30 mins but you end up bypassing traffic completely!!!!! With the drive your trip is very likely to take over 2 hours or even more. At AM there is one 7:34 AM departure from grand central then you get off at south norwalk and transfer to a connecting train going to merrit 7 you will be there exactly at 9:01 AM you should be able to walk from the train to your work site you are rediciulsly lucky you don't need a connecting bus at all. However at the return you will use these evening trains at 5:54 or 9:40PM the problem is that your destination is served by a branch train which is very infrequent inspite of it stopping in front of your work site. However at PM rush you can use the #3 bus to the main trains at south norwalk STAY on the bus the bus becomes #10 after the hub en rte to the train and it is timed with many trains throughout the day. The bus kinda makes up for infrequent trains to merrit 7 on the danbury branch.

But you are doing those 9-5 jobs so the schedule should work for you anyway.

You have to rely on a branch train OHH the danbury branch has more departured throughout the day but the ones I just mentioned are the ones most convenient for you.

NO there is no breaks in this journey except the transfer at south norwalk to your train heading out to merrit 7. The 10/3 bus makes up for the train's infrequency between merrit 7 and south norwalk.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Guys! What about if I take GW bridge-87N- 15N to reach norwalk? Which time would be good to take this route in either direction? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
NOPE GW goes to the cross-bronx which is literally a parking lot and the merrit parkway is HELL. There is NO good way to drive it period!!!!!!!! All your driving options involve traffic and hellish parking lots that are supposed to be highways. The only way to do it in a reasonable amount of time is to use the trains. What time do you have to be there?? If arriving at 9 am is good then use the 7:34 AM train if not use an earlier train and transfer to the #10 bus which will go all the way to ur destination as #3.

There is no good driving route for this period I know my friend tried it's futile. Use path then walk to the broadway nassau station and use 4 or 5 trains uptown to grand central. There is no fast way through manhattan period unless it's by train.

The fastest way to norwalk is the train plain and simple.

The 2 subway lines you will use are PATH and 4/5 train then rail train to norwalk this is by far the best route I can give you and the fastest as well. The drive will take forever no matter what you try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey