Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:35 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,871,478 times

Advertisements

My roommate and I are considering moving here. How's the crime rate? We'd be commuting via PATH to Newark and will often arrive back late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:39 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,757,245 times
Its safe down there , although at night it can be creepy walking down some of the less busy streets. Just practice common sense and you won't have any issues....

Old 09-12-2011, 12:10 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,214,957 times
It's generally pretty safe down here. Crime happens, but random violent crime is lower here than in some other parts of JC. You have to be vigilant and aware of who and what is around you at all times. People get mugged for their phones, cars get broken into and vandalized, drunk people will urinate or vomit on your stoop. But fortunately most of the crime seems to be more of a huge nuisance and series of insurance claims than life-threatening. I don't want to discourage you from looking into the neighborhood, and I'm not trying to say it's like the setting of The Wire, but don't come here thinking it's Disney World either! Whether it's acceptable depends on where you've lived in the past and what you're accustomed to.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,243,519 times
For a city, it is safe. It's much less safe than a suburb, obviously. It's much safer than almost any part of Newark, for a reasonable comparison.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:47 AM

46 posts, read 101,708 times
I live down at The Beacon on Montgomery. We have shuttle that drives us to and from the Beacon to the Exch Pl and Grove st stations every half hour till about 12. Well, there have been many occasions when, I have partied hard and come back from NYC well after 12 am and have come back home in a taxi. I have also walked(in the cool balmy evenings) on numerous occasions from Grove street to my condo, lets also add, these walks have never ben past 7 pm alone, and on a few occasions past 8 or later, but that was always with some-one as company. In the 4 years that I have been here, safety hasn't been an issue for me. I will not say this is the safest of all places, but then crime is everywhere. Maybe I have figured out me city well?

Best way for you to access the situation might be, visit Grove Street stroll around and see how you like it. There are quiet a few stores and restaurants here. Spend a evening and decide?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM

12,099 posts, read 16,988,037 times
You are commuting to Newark and are asking how the crime rate is in Downtown Jersey City?

You've got it arse barckwards.

Grove, Newport, Exchange are among the safer areas of JC. Something might happen, yea. But something might also happen when you are walking back to your $1.5 million condo in Park Slope. The 2 bedrooms there are $2000 in downtown JC for a reason.

That area is getting more and more gentrified and hipster every year.

There's a Barcade there now for Chrissake!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:51 AM

39 posts, read 135,271 times
I ****in LOVE it here. I live right by Grove St. too. SO QUICK to get into the city. Seriously.. door to door I get to my job on Graham st in Brooklyn in 45 minutes.

The neighborhood is fine IMO. I go bike riding or skating around town when I get back from work at like 2 or 3 am. All the crazies are out from the bars..and I have never run into any trouble. I never feel uncomfortable or anything.. Crown friend chicken on Newark Ave. Cheese steak!! Get one! Day-time..there is absolutely no question, really nice neighborhood. I love downtown Jersey City. It's a great compromise if you can't afford NYC or Hoboken.

Chances are Newark will be worse than JC. Not much drug dealing or dope heads around that part of town..quite a ways from the Greenville area. Honestly..the worst thing around here is the bums.. theres like 3 bums that are ALWAYS around town, one at the mcdonalds by grove st, one at paradise deli on newark ave, and one by the pathmark on grand st. Career bums panhandling like they are making $100 an hour.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 AM

576 posts, read 1,592,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

That area is getting more and more gentrified and hipster every year.

There's a Barcade there now for Chrissake!
Please don't ever say this again.
I always wonder why people try and say this like its a good thing? Yea that's great these transplants didn't have enough with NYC they had to come to downtown JC and take the soul right out. Hey maybe one day it can be like Hoboken aka the most obnoxious place in NJ.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 AM

12,099 posts, read 16,988,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Please don't ever say this again.
I always wonder why people try and say this like its a good thing? Yea that's great these transplants didn't have enough with NYC they had to come to downtown JC and take the soul right out. Hey maybe one day it can be like Hoboken aka the most obnoxious place in NJ.
I didn't say it like it was a good thing.

Read the statement again.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:01 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,105,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Hey maybe one day it can be like Hoboken aka the most obnoxious place in NJ.
You would prefer pre-gentrification Hoboken, which made Newark look safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey