Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 03:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
100 Years: Baltimore Seals Its Borders | Baltimore magazine

yes irvingtons crime would add to the bad but i was suggesting

irvington maplewood ( south ward )
You'd not only grab Irvington and Maplewood, but put them in the same ward, thus leaving tiny Maplewood completely dominated by it's poorer and larger neighbors?

Quote:
the oranges ( its own ward)
Dominated, of course, by East Orange, which is bigger than South Orange and West Orange put together. Also incidentally splitting the Maplewood/South Orange school district.

Do you really think we can't count heads out here in the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:08 PM

136 posts, read 224,685 times
Quote:
100 Years: Baltimore Seals Its Borders | Baltimore magazine

yes irvingtons crime would add to the bad but i was suggesting

irvington maplewood ( south ward )

the oranges ( its own ward)

bloomfield/belleville

nutley ( newarks little italian neighborhood) all north ward

harrison east newark kearny east ward
What would happen to the current wards in the city?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 AM

271 posts, read 417,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsx1187 View Post
What would happen to the current wards in the city?

they would just expand districts ... a bigger ward ...

it would increase the usage of district name to represent neighborhood ... im not sure how they seperate in jc

Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You'd not only grab Irvington and Maplewood, but put them in the same ward, thus leaving tiny Maplewood completely dominated by it's poorer and larger neighbors?

Dominated, of course, by East Orange, which is bigger than South Orange and West Orange put together. Also incidentally splitting the Maplewood/South Orange school district.

Do you really think we can't count heads out here in the suburbs?

dominated how ? your a fear monger bruh ...

theres as close are they are ever gonna be but how would they be dominated when the massive voting force that is irvington underminds the good vote ???

and while your still throwing out silly sentences southo and maple are losing money as a school district but the school zoning wouldnt change ....

honestly ive gone back and forward with this with you since last year i think i did a pretty good job of rebuttaling since its always a new topic rather than clarifying or rehashing

Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Quote:
dominated how ? your a fear monger bruh ...

theres as close are they are ever gonna be but how would they be dominated when the massive voting force that is irvington underminds the good vote ???
That's kind of the point. Irvington has about 54,000 people; the existing South Ward is about the same. Maplewood has maybe 24,000. Maplewood's interests would not be effectively represented in a combined South Ward.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM

225 posts, read 352,275 times
Quote:
That's kind of the point. Irvington has about 54,000 people; the existing South Ward is about the same. Maplewood has maybe 24,000. Maplewood's interests would not be effectively represented in a combined South Ward.
Exactly. If the idea is to dilute crime in Newark and diversify political interests in the city, then consolidating with Irvington and Maplewood is not the way to go about it. Since Irvington has a larger population than Maplewood, it will have a much greater effect on politics in Newark than Maplewood will. As it stands right now, political interests in Newark are changing on their own and for the better. People in Newark's good neighborhoods have more political pull now than they have had for decades. If Irvington is thrown into the mix, that will effectively cancel out the changes that have been happening recently. Even if you included Maplewood as well, that would not be enough to overcome Irvington's influence.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
how about keep maplewood with south orange

Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
Exactly. If the idea is to dilute crime in Newark and diversify political interests in the city, then consolidating with Irvington and Maplewood is not the way to go about it. Since Irvington has a larger population than Maplewood, it will have a much greater effect on politics in Newark than Maplewood will. As it stands right now, political interests in Newark are changing on their own and for the better. People in Newark's good neighborhoods have more political pull now than they have had for decades. If Irvington is thrown into the mix, that will effectively cancel out the changes that have been happening recently. Even if you included Maplewood as well, that would not be enough to overcome Irvington's influence.
maplewood would have about just as many voters ... lets call a spade a spade here number you have to be able to vote which mean no current feleony... if irvington was such a political force it wouldnt have fallen that far even east orange has rebounded irvington is the last one left to even begin the process.. honestly it needs people like those in maplewood and bloomfield and nutley that would balance out the overall city election while still allowing them to have a district leader in the city itself ...

you cant convince me that maplewood, harrison, bloomfield, belleville, nutley, west orange, south orange, east orange, city of orange and kearny are going to succumb to the mighty political force that is the township of irvington ... nope cant see ...

not to mention that most of those towns vote democrat anyways ... if you tried to argue that irvington might lose its voice you might have better arguement but i feel like if it was a neighborhood newark could use to house young families in cleaner housing and centralize resources around there

Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:

in a south ward made up of lincoln park weequahic lower clinton hill upper clinton hill hillside irvington and maplewood i feel thats pretty diverse

also being that maplewood is where the money is mayors are gonna have to be up there but for campaign donations so the power will be felt...

Old 03-28-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Newark and Irvington probably should merge, and maybe the oranges should merge. But J.C. and Newark definitely should NOT merge. They have different identities and are not exactly close or well linked (IMO) I could see the logic in turning Hudson County into one city, but not Jersey City and Newark

the only way i can see them being together is like the boro system with union county being the last one ... that being said my question is if hudson county merged into one city should they then be the city and county of jersey city ? ...

i notice that most of the contention comes in the form of newark annexing and nothing gets said about jersey city ? i kinda think the reason is that jersey city doesnt have the stigma newark does ... if you guys remember correctly jersey city was just as bad at one point but not only has that city rebounded the other cities around it have as well ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey