Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 PM

225 posts, read 352,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
as previously mentioned in the forum people are against merging with jc because of how jc treats its outside neighborhoods ... jersey city has hot spots ....

honestly i want to know for myself so i know real challanges i would face if i tried to pursue this further ...

no, "oh newarks a ****hole hahahah " i want to know real objections...

independce was one i got but i still feel like united we would hold a better voice and also we could probably petition the state for transitonal aid to help change address and do bus and commuter studies ...

i feel like the amount of jobs and the about of people who live and work and these towns are great enough to support it as a city in its own right... it should be our chance to invest in ourselves rather the be at the whim of with the toll to nyc will be we can re establish ourselves as once force with our own downtowns malls transit hubs hospitals school shopping centers diversity parks blah blah blah ...
Honestly, from someone who likes Newark and is in favor of consolidation, you are making a complicated issue way too simple. Consolidation is not a one fix solution for everything in New Jersey. I realize many of the towns you want to merge were once part of Newark but it is not as simple as putting the pieces back together again. These towns have been apart for many decades and have many different needs. Combining them into one right away will create many political problems. Consolidation needs to be a gradual process. It took a year for the two Princetons to get ready for consolidation and those two towns were indistinguishable from each other. Newark is improving on its own right now. Let that trend continue and let Newark continue to stabilize, then we can address issues like consolidation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
honestly i want to know for myself so i know real challanges i would face if i tried to pursue this further ...
To put it as simply as possible, and to use Hudson County as an example, if Guttenberg can't even manage to merge with North Bergen it's pretty much pointless to argue for broader consolidation where the tax, service, and population differences are larger and the savings are less.

It's the public policy equivalent of wondering what challenges a kid will face with third semester calculus when they're failing algebra. Where do you even begin?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Newark , Baltimore and Philly are moving in the right direction in terms of balanced Developments , Jersey City is not...its turning into Hoboken aka mini Manhattan. Bayonne is is similar to Newark....the developments are balanced and that's the way it should stay. Rent will probably stay low in Bayonne and Newark over the next decade vs the rest of Urban Jersey.
How many times are you gonna make that lame comparison between JC and Hoboken? You're wrong , first of all most of JC is just getting worse so the attention can be focused on the square mile downtown for ex- nyers. Also people actually go to Hoboken for its attractions, the same cannot be said for downtown JC, its a bedroom community, with a bustling business district. Maybe next time you can compare Union City to Hoboken

Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM

136 posts, read 224,641 times
@ Nexis4NJ:
I saw this on the CT thread and I figure I would call BS

Do you have any sources to back up what you are claiming is happening in Newark. I understand that Newark is improving and attracting some business (with excessive subsidies) but I feel like you are spewing information that can not be backed up by fact.

Quote:
The Riverfront Light Rail line will run along its banks
What light rail didn't find anything that even mentions anything but a simple station by the riverfront

In terms of Commercial development you have Panasonic building its new HQ , Cablevision is set breakground on a new HQ , Prudential is expanding with 3 new high rises , Cisco , Siemens , Verizon are all looking into moving their Suburban HQ's in Downtown Newark.
Cablevision is building a call center not its headquarters in Newark. Their headquarters is remaining in Bethpage NY. Prudential Is planning one new tower with the possibility of a second many years down the road if the business climate is right and im guessing they get enough of a subsidy. I have not found any plans for a third. After researching found nothing saying Cisco, Siemens, or Verizon were looking to move their suburban HQ's to Newark. Verizon moved its national HQ to Basking Ridge a few years ago and has a lease that runs through 2018 in its current building. After that who knows. Siemens is HQ'ed in Washington DC not suburban NJ and Cisco is HQ'ed in San Jose California, not suburban NJ

Theres also the planned Light Rail / Subway Network that would connect Newark to Elizabeth via 2 Routes ,Irvington via Subway , The Oranges and Paterson via North links.
I only know of one Light rail to Elizabeth (via Newark airport) what the other? What is the Irvington subway?

Theres also proposed lids of I-280 and the Railway tracks that would create Parkspace and same with 78. Theres also a few Streetcar.
Did anyone of any authority propose this or is this on some blogger's fantasy list?
Balls in your court can you prove anything here?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
The Prudential HQ is under Construction...

Prudential Site - Downtown Newark,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

The Cablevision Call Center HQ has been raised in recent weeks , its not final...however they are looking at the sites in Downtown Newark. Cisco , Siemens , have NY area HQ in Edison,NJ they have been looking at Newark in recent years. Panasonic started this trend , now it looks like just all suburban HQ are looking to move to Newark which has land available. The Riverfront LRT is really the Newark-Paterson LRT , which will run close to the Passaic River , just like with the rest of the LRT NJT has placed the projects on hold. The Lids where raised in planning meetings , the meetings were to create long term visions for Newark and surrounding towns and cities. Some of the things like bike lanes and pedestrians upgrades have already been built , so I don't doubt that the park lids won't.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 AM

271 posts, read 417,040 times
Quote:

The Cablevision Call Center HQ has been raised in recent weeks , its not final...however they are looking at the sites in Downtown Newark. Cisco , Siemens , have NY area HQ in Edison,NJ they have been looking at Newark in recent years. Panasonic started this trend , now it looks like just all suburban HQ are looking to move to Newark which has land available. The Riverfront LRT is really the Newark-Paterson LRT , which will run close to the Passaic River , just like with the rest of the LRT NJT has placed the projects on hold. The Lids where raised in planning meetings , the meetings were to create long term visions for Newark and surrounding towns and cities. Some of the things like bike lanes and pedestrians upgrades have already been built , so I don't doubt that the park lids won't.

what is the riverfront line going to do for the riverbank park ? i know that in the master plan of newark one of the complaints was that the bloomfield line cut off roseville from the park which is why theres the baseball field on 5th and 1st street park to allow people in roseville to still have local park access ...

also newark and paterson are 15 miles apart ... we can serve so many people by just going in essex, union , hudson and we can make more extensive public transit projects in general before stretching out to paterson ... there should be a nutley transfer but 15 miles on light rail lines are a lot of poles ...

im telling you if we just took the river line cars and ran them at frequent intervals from south orange station to hoboken, bloomfield station to hoboken and union to hoboken we would be in pretty decent shape

you save money on building track people are familliar with the stations , it would be must less of a genenral investment to retro fit the tracks to make more of an el train service ( riverline dmu's ) to run threw the city than to build 15 miles of new track in just one direction ...

if you go to central ave and hudson street you can see where the light rail used to exit out to service the rest of the city with the main tunnel ... im telling you from there you can run lines across norfolk/ irvine turner to clinton/irvington and seton hall and boom city connected completely but most of those lines would only service long disance travelers

Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
Honestly, from someone who likes Newark and is in favor of consolidation, you are making a complicated issue way too simple. Consolidation is not a one fix solution for everything in New Jersey. I realize many of the towns you want to merge were once part of Newark but it is not as simple as putting the pieces back together again. These towns have been apart for many decades and have many different needs. Combining them into one right away will create many political problems. Consolidation needs to be a gradual process. It took a year for the two Princetons to get ready for consolidation and those two towns were indistinguishable from each other. Newark is improving on its own right now. Let that trend continue and let Newark continue to stabilize, then we can address issues like consolidation.
the reason im mentioning it now is so that the towns involved can start planning around the process with the general idea to move to one unified city ... they have different needs but what two neighborhoods in a major city have the same exact needs ( bedstuy vs brighton beach)

Old 04-03-2013, 11:41 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
what is the riverfront line going to do for the riverbank park ? i know that in the master plan of newark one of the complaints was that the bloomfield line cut off roseville from the park which is why theres the baseball field on 5th and 1st street park to allow people in roseville to still have local park access ...

also newark and paterson are 15 miles apart ... we can serve so many people by just going in essex, union , hudson and we can make more extensive public transit projects in general before stretching out to paterson ... there should be a nutley transfer but 15 miles on light rail lines are a lot of poles ...

im telling you if we just took the river line cars and ran them at frequent intervals from south orange station to hoboken, bloomfield station to hoboken and union to hoboken we would be in pretty decent shape

you save money on building track people are familliar with the stations , it would be must less of a genenral investment to retro fit the tracks to make more of an el train service ( riverline dmu's ) to run threw the city than to build 15 miles of new track in just one direction ...

if you go to central ave and hudson street you can see where the light rail used to exit out to service the rest of the city with the main tunnel ... im telling you from there you can run lines across norfolk/ irvine turner to clinton/irvington and seton hall and boom city connected completely but most of those lines would only service long disance travelers
The Riverline aka the Paterson LRT , will spur redevelopment along the often neglected Passaic Riverfront. While Paterson is 15 miles from Newark , the corridor in question is dense and neglected....its also congested which makes the LRT the perfect choice. Connecting Urban Jersey is great thing , the more connections you have to various parts of Urban Jersey the more livable you make Urban Jersey. The amount of poles is not a problem , 15 miles is nothing compared to the 200-500 mile long electrified lines being proposed across parts of the Northeast. They do plan on expanding into Essex , Union and Hudson Counties , each expansion has a propose behind it. Hoboken is abit far , and lacks the density to construct a line unless your talking about the proposed Newark Penn to Bayfront LRT line....that service would terminate at Hoboken Terminal but use the existing HBLR. There will be transfers on the Paterson LRT , one in Downtown Paterson to the Main line , another at US 46 for Bus , another at Route 3 for Bus , and one in Forest Hills for the Proposed cross Essex line. You can't run DMU's in tunnels its banned by the feds for safety reasons , you can only run Electric trains , also running DMUs were there are mutiple close stops is a waste of fuel and adds up on time , vs the faster Electric trains. A side from the Springfield Ave LRT subway , there really isn't much demand for LRT west of the Downtown , I can see a BRT running along South Orange and Central Ave but LRT would be a waste in terms of ridership vs benefits.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
The Riverline aka the Paterson LRT , will spur redevelopment along the often neglected Passaic Riverfront. While Paterson is 15 miles from Newark , the corridor in question is dense and neglected....its also congested which makes the LRT the perfect choice. Connecting Urban Jersey is great thing , the more connections you have to various parts of Urban Jersey the more livable you make Urban Jersey. The amount of poles is not a problem , 15 miles is nothing compared to the 200-500 mile long electrified lines being proposed across parts of the Northeast. They do plan on expanding into Essex , Union and Hudson Counties , each expansion has a propose behind it. Hoboken is abit far , and lacks the density to construct a line unless your talking about the proposed Newark Penn to Bayfront LRT line....that service would terminate at Hoboken Terminal but use the existing HBLR. There will be transfers on the Paterson LRT , one in Downtown Paterson to the Main line , another at US 46 for Bus , another at Route 3 for Bus , and one in Forest Hills for the Proposed cross Essex line. You can't run DMU's in tunnels its banned by the feds for safety reasons , you can only run Electric trains , also running DMUs were there are mutiple close stops is a waste of fuel and adds up on time , vs the faster Electric trains. A side from the Springfield Ave LRT subway , there really isn't much demand for LRT west of the Downtown , I can see a BRT running along South Orange and Central Ave but LRT would be a waste in terms of ridership vs benefits.

being that those places have the highest amount of vacant properties it would allow developers the cahnce to cash in on the location of a neighborhood with quick easy access downtown ... most of the city of newark is west of downtown ... springfield yeah i kinda get but the what happens to the go25 bus ? im pretty sure that seton hall would love to be serviced by the newark subway system and get quick and easy service downtown ... and irvington terminal would benefit from having a light rail access that bring in more shoppers and makes the terminal used heavier during peak hours though the springfield line i imagine would do the same but springfield is set up like low density place ... big box stores parking lots theres not a lot of street level retial that would do any better than if the light rail went up clinton ...

im not saying that it doesnt need to do that and if they did both newark would be the next boom city ( easy acces to other local cities and to local neighborhoods) but the light rail reaches orange street so much quicker than the go bus reaches bergen street and theres parts of the city that take more than an hour to reach the central bus district by bus ... its subject to traffic which should end up becoming heavier with all these new jobs ... even if not using the existing heavy rail lines at broad street station theres still a tunnel entrance for the subway on central and hudson that isnt being used

if you look on the map everyone from 16th ave to 7th ave from 1st street to sanford doesnt have a train stop at all ...

it would connect downtown with a major employment center and a knowledge hub which is important if you want to start thinking about retaining college students .. you cant expect a bloomfield college kid to want to move to newark after graduation because it take forever to get there ... im not against the river line at all ( as long as it doesnt interfere with the park) but most of the central all of the east west and south wards dont have train service ... we want the city to be car free then we need to plan for tomorrow thats where the biggest place for future growth would lie after downtown gets buzzing lower clinton hill and the old third ward and reserved for lower income already and teh north ward is probably already as nice as its gonna be and its the most dense ward so its not a lot of empty space ... that leave the west and central where whole corners lie dormant ...

Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM

136 posts, read 224,641 times
Quote:

Pictures prove nothing. Prudential is considering a second tower (not 3) (Prudential considers second tower for new Broad Street location | NJ.com)

I don't know how you can call every building a headquarters. Cable vision is building a high tech call center and moving employes into the city. There is nothing that that alludes to Cisco or Siemens looking to move but saying they are looking at Newark does not constitute any seriousness in looking to move. (also this sound like the guy on the corner told you this not any official source.

Thanks for clearing up the Riverfront LRT

Finally, an issue being raised in a meeting is not a proposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey