Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,747 times

Advertisements

As someone who has a family member who is a lieutenant for the Port Authority Police I can tell you that it is not an easy gig and he is definitely not overpaid.

He has had a few really close calls and it was actually harder to get into that police academy then the NJ State Policy academy. He happened to get accepted into both academies and chose Port Authority based both on prestige as well as opportunity within the force.

Unless you have direct knowledge of something, try not to make grand assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Port Authority security is one of the easiest, most overpaid jobs in the entire country. It's not prestigious, but who cares when you're taking home nearly six figures to mostly stand around all day?

It's an amazingly good gig if you can get it. You probably can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 06:27 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
As someone who has a family member who is a lieutenant for the Port Authority Police I can tell you that it is not an easy gig and he is definitely not overpaid.

He has had a few really close calls and it was actually harder to get into that police academy then the NJ State Policy academy. He happened to get accepted into both academies and chose Port Authority based both on prestige as well as opportunity within the force.

Unless you have direct knowledge of something, try not to make grand assumptions.
Also, bear in mind that the facilities PAPD is working are all potential terrorist targets. Nobody's likely to blow up your local library or coffee shop, but bridges, tunnels, and airports do have to be watched more closely.

Nexis just doesn't like the NJ Transit police or PAPD because they question him when he's standing there with a video camera filming their stations and trains, lol.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 PM

76 posts, read 242,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post

An investigative article in the Newark Star Ledger 4/27/08 reported that a lot of PA police were manipulating the system to make up to $260,000 a year. The benefits are great, and how many people have that kind of tenure.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_lepore View Post
An investigative article in the Newark Star Ledger 4/27/08 reported that a lot of PA police were manipulating the system to make up to $260,000 a year. The benefits are great, and how many people have that kind of tenure.
There are about 1500 cops in PAPD. A small minority of them--I think about 25 were listed--have worked enormous amounts of overtime in their last years on the job to jack up their final average salary before retirement. That practice should be stopped, IMO, but it's always interesting to see how people paint an entire group with a broad brush based on what a few people do.

The claim was that there is more work to do post-9/11 and less manpower, but if that's the case, they should hire more cops and cut the overtime gigs.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:17 AM

147 posts, read 389,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are about 1500 cops in PAPD. A small minority of them--I think about 25 were listed--have worked enormous amounts of overtime in their last years on the job to jack up their final average salary before retirement....
They listed 25 or so of the worst cases, but that's probably just the tip of the iceberg. Obviously in investigative journalism they can't investigate and list every single member.

Maybe I'm cynical, but considering the corruption that's been found in NJ government, especially the police, I'm inclined to think the worst.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:21 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_lepore View Post

Sounds like I should look into this job lol

Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post
They listed 25 or so of the worst cases, but that's probably just the tip of the iceberg. Obviously in investigative journalism they can't investigate and list every single member.

Maybe I'm cynical, but considering the corruption that's been found in NJ government, especially the police, I'm inclined to think the worst.
No, that's not really being cynical, it's just making a judgment call based on what we know historically, as you pointed out. But since all the salaries are public information, it's also easy enough to look at them and see what seems out of whack. What you are calling "investigative journalism" is often little more than a reporter looking for a story that he or she knows will play well on the emotions of the public and sell newspapers. I don't see a whole lot of positive stories of the accomplishments of people working alongside the ones people love to hate.

As someone who worked in the public sector for more than 30 years, it gets a little tiresome constantly hearing assumptions by people who have no clue what you actually do that everyone in public employment must be getting an easy ride, or stealing from the public, or engaging in corruption. When someone does do something wrong or misuses their position, no one hates them worse than their coworkers who are honest and hard-working who get caught in the tide of public opinion against them for what someone else has done.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:23 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
No , i was saying how the NJTPD and PAPD always seem to think there above the JCPD / NYPD when there not. There wannabe cops and there bad at it....most Employees and Rail / Transit fanners have a general opinion on that...
We had a PAPD and NJT officer in our task force and we also interacted with dozens more from those jobs along with many other agencies over the years and nothing can be further from the truth. The were nothing short of professionals. Tell the families of the 37 P.A. cops that were murdered on 9-11 along with the others that have died in the line of duty that they are wannabe cops. You are either talking out of prejudice or from a lack of knowledge!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Also, bear in mind that the facilities PAPD is working are all potential terrorist targets. Nobody's likely to blow up your local library or coffee shop, but bridges, tunnels, and airports do have to be watched more closely.

Nexis just doesn't like the NJ Transit police or PAPD because they question him when he's standing there with a video camera filming their stations and trains, lol.
I knew there had to be a reason.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post

The Star Ledger is a rag and has been anti Port Authority for years. The investigative journalist could have and should have posted all the salaries. It is public knowledge that you can get through the Asbury Park Press (so the "INVESTIGATIVE" part could have been done by a child. The reason why the lower salaries are not posted is because they don't sell papers. By the way. The officers that made the huge salaries worked huge hours. If anything, blame the Port Authority for not hiring more officers in order to lower the overtime. It's very simple. Most police agencies would rather have a smaller force and pay overtime to cover their tours. The problem is that the salaries get posted and the public that pays those salaries go wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey