Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:20 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times

Advertisements

AAA to feds: Stop NY-NJ bridge, tunnel toll hike - WSJ.com

Quote:
NEW YORK — The AAA (triple-A) motorists' group is asking the U.S. Department of Transportation to block this weekend's toll increase on bridges and tunnels owned by the Port Authority.
The AAA says the increase violates a federal law that requires that tolls be reasonable.

Cash tolls on the George Washington Bridge, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bride and Outerbridge Crossing are scheduled to rise from $8 to $12 at 3 a.m. on Sunday. By 2015 they could rise to $15.
The AAA says the increases are unreasonable because much of the money will go toward building the new World Trade Center. It says that project has nothing to do with the Port Authority's original transportation mission.
Not mentioned in the article is that it is going to cost $65 for a truck to get into the city, going up to over $100 by 2015.

I really hope AAA succeeds. $12 for a toll is crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 06:57 AM

11,339 posts, read 16,691,416 times
I have a better chance of being elected Pope, than the AAA does stopping the tolls increase.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:33 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
AAA to feds: Stop NY-NJ bridge, tunnel toll hike - WSJ.com

Not mentioned in the article is that it is going to cost $65 for a truck to get into the city, going up to over $100 by 2015.

I really hope AAA succeeds. $12 for a toll is crazy
just out of curiousity, does anyone have the history of toll prices, or is it available online? Something tells me that tolls have been quite low for a while, despite people complaining about them being expensive. not saying they should be $12....but what should they be?

also - EZPass toll will be $9.50, not $12. this will increase efficiency at the crossings if more people get EZPass, will decrease fuel usage because less sitting in line at toll plazas, etc., etc.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
just out of curiousity, does anyone have the history of toll prices, or is it available online? Something tells me that tolls have been quite low for a while, despite people complaining about them being expensive. not saying they should be $12....but what should they be?

also - EZPass toll will be $9.50, not $12. this will increase efficiency at the crossings if more people get EZPass, will decrease fuel usage because less sitting in line at toll plazas, etc., etc.
as far as I'm concerned, prices have always been high. When I crossed the bridges every day back in early 90's it was $4. It doubled in less than 20 years - is that out of line? I don't know, but to me the tolls have always been on the outrageous side.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
AAA was powerless to stop the toll hike on the Philadelphia bridges, so I doubt they will be able to do anything in New York,

Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
as far as I'm concerned, prices have always been high. When I crossed the bridges every day back in early 90's it was $4. It doubled in less than 20 years - is that out of line? I don't know, but to me the tolls have always been on the outrageous side.
alot of other prices have more than doubled. so i don't think i'd say that if it was $4 in 1990, and it went up to $8 sometime around 2004 i think, that it was a significant increase.

you have to realize that the tolls cover costs that have gone up substantially in that time period. repairing the helix at the lincoln will cost substantially more than it would have in 1995, because the price of materials has skyrocketed since then. forget even talking about the price of the labor. equipment and materials alone.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
alot of other prices have more than doubled. so i don't think i'd say that if it was $4 in 1990, and it went up to $8 sometime around 2004 i think, that it was a significant increase.

you have to realize that the tolls cover costs that have gone up substantially in that time period. repairing the helix at the lincoln will cost substantially more than it would have in 1995, because the price of materials has skyrocketed since then. forget even talking about the price of the labor. equipment and materials alone.
the fact that it doubled isn't unusual, but the fact that the tolls are high to begin with is.

would you feel the same if I said the toll was $10 in 1990, and increased to $20 in 2004, and was slated to go up to $30 on Sunday? Same principal - I think the *starting* toll was too high.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
it is very wrong that the port authority is building real estate. i think someone should take action against that.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 AM

54 posts, read 208,207 times
I seriously don't understand why people don't have EZPass. Can someone enlighten me?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristir View Post
I seriously don't understand why people don't have EZPass. Can someone enlighten me?
in my experience, you see the most ezpass users on friday when leaving brooklyn. so its weekend trip people. a lot of nyc residents almost never leave nyc. so they dont bother getting ezpass. it seems some people also have credit issues that make that difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey