Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Video showing the famous people from New Jersey, high cost of living, high taxes, pollution, but Jersey still a great state to be part of, Jersey not only state with problems

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 04:28 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
I take corrupt's posts as him speaking out loud. Not to anyone person in particular. He is sharing his experience. If I felt as strongly about something as Corrupt does, I would not sit back quietly either. I would let it be known on a Public forum, news outlets, whatever. Let him blow off his steam and inform whoever want's to be informed about his particular situation. We have the option to read it or leave it. Obviously, this guy has been extremely wronged, or he wouldn't be so persistant. I have read post's of his on other topics that did not have anything to do with HIS "particular situation". Corrupt, I'm not going to beat up on you. Write whatever you want. If I dont care what you have to say anymore I'm just going to ignore your posts. LOL. But, so far I have read it all.

I agree with Patty, if not interested just don't read it. If what happened to him happened to anyone of us we would be all over the internet and anywhere else getting the word out. At least I would..... I was in a situation where I was ripped off by a company and I posted it all over the internet, thankfully it has been settled, sorry to say but corruptnj case may never be settled.

I know some of the people on here also go on the NC & SC forums as I do because I'm going to move to SC but not because I don't want to live here but because I can't afford to. People are bashing NJ & NY on this forum and many others and we all know it's corrupt but like Scranton said so is PA and every other state. No place is perfect, every state has problems but aside from corruptnj that has a specific word to get out.....life too short.... why can't more people start pointing out the good things. I have lived here most of my life and of course I have some complaints but I'm sure I will when I move also.

The thing that really bugs me is on all of these forums where their bashing NJ/NY they talk about the people. I'm not saying everyone is friendly here but in any metropolitan area across the country people are not going to be as friendly as in a rural area where people wave as they drive by. I have traveled all over the country and every suburb or city area I've been to I had almost the same experiences. When you are friendly to people they are friendly back. I don't wait for people to say hello, smile or have a nice day, I say it first and get the same back in return. People say NJ/NY is rude....I live in NJ and went to school in NY and have not had that experience. I was a restaurant mgr for years dealing with the public and aside from the occasional male that thought a woman shouldn't be a mgr I thought the people here were great! I also love the fact that it's a diverse area. People complain about that! Why is that bad? Should everyone be exactly the same? We only live once, don't people want to experience different things, different people, learn about different cultures instead people are complaining about everyone from different countrys (I'm not defending illegals) living in this area....I think it's great that we are diverse and not all white bread. I'll stop rambling but lets try to point out the good things about the people of NJ/NY....I've met a lot of great people here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 09:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Smile Bravo!!!

EXCELLENT insight, Rapture! So many of us, including Corrupt, are wasting our lives away looking solely at the negatives affecting our lives while our blessings are totally obscured by our pessimism. I was sitting in a traffic jam on my way home from work yesterday, and it took me over an hour to get just seven miles between Lowe's and my home. At the time, all I could do was blast some classical music on XM and try to maintain my sanity while I saw cars moving freely in the other direction on the 3-1-5. When I got within a half-mile of my home later on that afternoon, I immediately rescinded my traffic complaints---The cause of the tie-up was a major accident in which a Volvo got wedged in between two tractor-trailers. I immediately found myself concerned about the vehicles' occupants, none of whom were seriously injured, miraculously, as I learned on the 11 PM local news. I immediately found a reason to rejoice; It was worth sitting in traffic for an hour or so if it meant that ambulances were able to cruise to the scene unimpeded and save lives. It seems as if most of life's "incoveniences" hae a silver lining to them---More often that not our "rush-rush" suburban society is just too self-centered and/or impatient to notice them.

I, for one, am going to start looking at life, as a whole, more optimistically. My job lifting appliances, drywall, concrete, and various other massive objects for up to nine hours at a time is grueling and degrading, but I now view it as nothing more than a stepping stone to bigger and better things as I'm nearing the status of being a "twenty-something." I also gain satisfaction just picturing just where these building materials are headed---Perhaps to a Habitat for Humanity site to build a new home for a needy family or even to help restore a Victorian home in one of Scranton's revitalizing urban neighborhoods. Classes at King's can be quite demanding, but now I can do nothing but picture commuting to that dream Accounting job in NJ someday thanks to the degree I so painstakingly earned. Living with my overbearing, overprotective parents makes it impossible for me to date anyone, but I know that in a few years I'll have my own Victorian fixer-upper in Scranton, along with a wonderful soul mate who I can pamper to no end! My current gas-guzzling car is practically being held together by duct tape; However, I know that the money I'm saving from work will soon go to help me finance a new Toyota Prius. Everyday now I'm starting to wake up feeling rejuvenated about the great things that are occurring all around me. If nothing else, I'm in perfect physical health (ideal blood pressure, low cholesterol, lots of stamina, and my tummy is nearing that coveted six-pack!) No matter how bad we may feel we have it, just realize that somewhere in Somalia, or Ghana, or Chad, or North Korea somebody is waking up hungry, freezing, and mourning the loss of relatives, friends, and neighbors daily due to political unrest. Let's start being thankful for what we do have instead of always demanding more, shall we?

Old 09-09-2006, 06:13 AM

Thanks Scranton. I don't want to sound like things are unicorns and rainbows but can't people be a little more positive? People are so lucky and complain about really dumb things, believe me I'm no angel my boyfriend has to hear me complain everyday about my job but I often think about the people that have it so much worse then me.

Maybe people on here can give some stories of kind things that people in NJ/ NY have done for them?

Someone should start a news station or show that's only about GOOD NEWS and give us another option that's positive to watch. Sounds corny but I'd rather be corny then a *****.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:00 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
Default Something positive about NJ people

I was on a cruise to Bermuda about 5 years ago with my family (20+ of us). I was getting a pedicure in the ship's salon when the Australian pedicurist asked where I was from. I told her NJ and she said, "People from NJ are ALWAYS the nicest passsengers on these ships." I told her it was because we were just so happy to be away for a while. So there is something nice about NJ people.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I was on a cruise to Bermuda about 5 years ago with my family (20+ of us). I was getting a pedicure in the ship's salon when the Australian pedicurist asked where I was from. I told her NJ and she said, "People from NJ are ALWAYS the nicest passsengers on these ships." I told her it was because we were just so happy to be away for a while. So there is something nice about NJ people.
That's great! I was reading in the General US forum and someone started a thread Places with Nice People - check it out. Mostly positive about NY but I kinda lump NYC and where I live in NJ together. I live in NJ but went to school in NY and hung out there a lot (when I was younger) and always had positive experiences with people.

Today is an especially good day to mention that there a lot of great people in this area and they proved it by the way they handled themselves and worked together five years ago on a tragic day.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:53 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptnj View Post
I will post something positive if there is anything positive to post.

Unfortunately all I read is negative articles about your elected officials. There are so few if any articles that have anything good to say.

I can think of three options.

1. Elect those who actually serve the public and are really concerned about your health and welfare.

2. Click on my username and ad me to your ignore list.

3. Call the press and ask them to stop writing so many negative articles.

The only problem you will have with number 2 is that you will still have to read the off topic posts of people who want to critisize me and/or tell me what to do and not do. That is unless all of you who do not want to know the facts and truth select number 2.

Just curious. When you did live in NJ what office/offices did you run for to make this a better place to live.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:03 PM

86 posts, read 275,821 times
BobKovacs is more than likely related to a construction firm in NJ doing business with the State. If so it is probably why he trippled his income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Dang- you found me out...lol. Funny, because I actually do work for a construction company, but we don't do any state work, so you're wrong there. I've tripled my salary in the last 6 years

BobKovacs; I prepared estimates for dozens of the SCC schools,

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-jersey/15142-nj-has-highest-average-hhi-country.html#post92503

SCC is the State. The Same SCC that mishandled $8+ Billion Tax dollars and wants another $3+Billion.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:56 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Hey I got a great idea. Why don't we all move to Florida and ruin it just like we did New Jersey. Is there any place in Florida we can start ghettos in. I agree with you, I guess it's great to live in shangri-la. QUOTE]

No, please don't.

Try Miami, West Palm Beach, Jacksonville.

Yes it is

Old 09-16-2006, 08:20 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
This Pennsylvanian LOVES New Jersey and New Jersians! Salt of the earth, straightforward and hardworking - that's my type of person, regardless of social status or educational level. And dear Scranton: WHY, oh WHY are you going into accounting when you are such a good writer?:confused:

Old 09-16-2006, 01:52 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptnj View Post
BobKovacs is more than likely related to a construction firm in NJ doing business with the State. If so it is probably why he trippled his income.

BobKovacs; I prepared estimates for dozens of the SCC schools,

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...html#post92503

SCC is the State. The Same SCC that mishandled $8+ Billion Tax dollars and wants another $3+Billion.
Yes, I prepared estimates as a subconsultant to a firm that was designing schools- this is a far cry from the graft and pocket-lining you so nicely accused me of in your comments. Since you obviously don't know me, please don't make accusations that you can't back up, and have no place making in a public forum anyway. Your original comment borders on slander, btw....

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey