Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times

Advertisements

I could say Perth Amboy is very safe and very Dominican. However the schools are pretty bad. Clifton is safe albeit not as Dominican but the schools aren't the best either from what I hear.

I don't know of any Hispanic areas in this state with good schools and I myself am Hispanic.

My best bet in terms of school systems is Woodbridge which I hear the pretty decent (not the best) but decent and is close to Perth Amboy. The areas of Hopelawn and Fords in Woodbridge near the border of Perth Amboy have a decent number of Hispanics there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
I'm Colombian (wife is Canadian), live in Glen Rock and while I am very aware of my culture I truly don't feel I'm missing out by living in Northern NJ. If you feel out of place I would assume you're speaking of your own insecurity. First and foremost, everything is still relatively close if I really miss the latino folklore - Elizabeth, Hackensack and Roosevelt (Queens) come to mind for a bit of that exchange.
Raising a familiy with small children I feel you get what you want to get out of your neighborhood. I've lived in latino heavy neighborhoods and it's not all that rosy. So far I've met plenty of different nationalities in my neighborhood. I tend to be pretty open to trying new things and meeting new people so I don't feel out of place or as if I'm missing out on anything. Quality of life is extremely important and so I prioritize good schools, safety and proximity to various activities for the family. If I want to teach my kids strong values and to be happy...as that's the best example this Colombian can provide
It sounded like he was trying to say "I promise you that you wlll never feel out of place, or be too far away from Hispanic culture anywhere in Northern NJ". The sentence structure made it appear as if that's what he was trying to say.

As far as the OP goes, Morristown and Dover might work, as well as Lodi and Garfield (Dover is predominantly Hispanic, Morristown is fairly mixed with Whites, Blacks, and Hispanics, and Lodi and Garfield are around 60% White, 30% Hispanic, and 10% Black and Asian)

Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post

As a Latin American who was actually born in Latin America I can assure you that I do not feel out of place in Northern New Jersey at all. Nor have I lost any sense of my culture since my culture is not defined by who lives next door to me.

I would say most people in northern new jersey do not care what color you are or what country you come from they care more about what class of person you are. I think your feeling out of place here has to do with your own insecurities more so than anything else.

no no no sorry! I mean you will NOT, NOT feel out of place anywhere. I mistyped! I agree with you 100%!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Union City & North Bergen have a lot of recent immigrants. They have some decent sections but overall they are some of the most crowded neighborhoods anywhere. If you like living on top of someone, like the noise, not many trees/parks and stinky schools - then it could be for you. Otherwise I'd look elsewhere

Old 10-06-2011, 06:59 AM

112 posts, read 134,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It sounded like he was trying to say "I promise you that you wlll never feel out of place, or be too far away from Hispanic culture anywhere in Northern NJ". The sentence structure made it appear as if that's what he was trying to say.

As far as the OP goes, Morristown and Dover might work, as well as Lodi and Garfield (Dover is predominantly Hispanic, Morristown is fairly mixed with Whites, Blacks, and Hispanics, and Lodi and Garfield are around 60% White, 30% Hispanic, and 10% Black and Asian)
Dover actually has some really nice areas, and contrary to what a lot of people say, it's pretty safe, I'm from there and I'm white and I never felt threatened at all. When I was young it was mostly Puerto Rican, then it went Dominican, now it's Colombian, lots of good shopping nearby, and a nice amount of ethic dining all over town, great homemade food and an overall nice feel to the town. Traffic can be a nightmare so it's best to live outside of the downtown area.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJerseyGrl View Post
Dover actually has some really nice areas, and contrary to what a lot of people say, it's pretty safe, I'm from there and I'm white and I never felt threatened at all. When I was young it was mostly Puerto Rican, then it went Dominican, now it's Colombian, lots of good shopping nearby, and a nice amount of ethic dining all over town, great homemade food and an overall nice feel to the town. Traffic can be a nightmare so it's best to live outside of the downtown area.

I've never been there, is there a lot of Colombian restaurants?! I'm always looking for more I used to live in Jackson Heights and I really miss the easier access to my comfort foods.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:02 PM

112 posts, read 134,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I've never been there, is there a lot of Colombian restaurants?! I'm always looking for more I used to live in Jackson Heights and I really miss the easier access to my comfort foods.
Most of the restaurants in Dover are Colombian now. There's a restaurant where the old Fred's Fish Market used to be on Blackwell St. it's behind the Pet Store and I heard the food is very good, we haven't been there yet but we want to go, sorry that I don't know the name of it though. Also there's a place on Blackwell St. called El Pollo Loco, awesome rotisserie chicken and some Spanish food. You really need to park your car in the lot near the train station and just walk around downtime, there's too many restaurants to name them all. BTW Colombian Empanada's are the best.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
I don't know why you would want to move CLOSER to a latino community. I am an American born latino and trying to get away as much as possible.

MOst of those towns mentioned: WNY, NB, UC... horrible. If you're loud, love to hang out on the stoops, and only want to speak Spanish, then move there.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:14 PM

74 posts, read 304,576 times
No such thing

Old 10-11-2011, 03:31 AM

390 posts, read 1,367,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I don't know why you would want to move CLOSER to a latino community. I am an American born latino and trying to get away as much as possible.

MOst of those towns mentioned: WNY, NB, UC... horrible. If you're loud, love to hang out on the stoops, and only want to speak Spanish, then move there.

Loud and crowded (which those towns certainly are) does not equal unsafe. While not crime free, I'd hardly any of those towns dangerous at all. It's mostly families, and if you want Latino culture, that's the place to be.

Though there are sizable hispanic minorities it's lots of safe towns in New Jersey. You're never really far.

(To be fair, my dad lived in Union City when he came to this country from Brazil, and yeah, he got the hell out of there also).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey