Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Do you realize how much more a % of their income middle class taxpayers in NJ pay than wealthy taxpayers because of property taxes in NJ? The progressivity of our income tax barely puts a dent in the unfairness of our overall tax structure.
Again, high property taxes are a choice, as it should be. Income tax isn't, as it shouldn't be. There are towns with reasonable property taxes. There are houses within towns that have more reasonable property taxes. If you want to live a certain way, you pay accordingly. If not, then lower your expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:55 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,763 times
Why aren't all taxes a choice? Why only property taxes?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Why aren't all taxes a choice? Why only property taxes?
All usage taxes are a choice. You can choose to buy that new flat screen TV and pay sales tax on it, or you can choose to live very frugally, minimizing the taxes you pay. You can choose to live close to work, so you don't have to pay much in gas taxes or public transportation.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
would he send American soldier to fight isis? would he balance the federal budget? would he reduce taxes & simplify the tax system?

Old 10-12-2014, 12:26 PM

AMD- you can live in another State and commute and pay lower income tax, you can defer income, you can make financial moves to lower taxable income, you can work less overtime. You can decide to earn less.

Why are any of those choices not in the same category of buying in a different town or buying a smaller home?

Old 10-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
AMD- you can live in another State and commute and pay lower income tax, you can defer income, you can make financial moves to lower taxable income, you can work less overtime. You can decide to earn less.

Why are any of those choices not in the same category of buying in a different town or buying a smaller home?
Yes, you can choose to make less money. They can't tax you on money that you don't make. You can quit your job and sell necklaces on the beach. You can join a commune and not pay any income tax at all. I never really considered choosing to making less money to be the same type of choice as choosing not to buy an 80 inch flat screen, a Porsche, or a fancy house in an expensive top rated school system.

Diverting income to a business is the same as not making it, and deferring it is the same as not making it until later.

The only "choice" with any validity is the choice to move to a different state. But then if you are working in NJ, don't you still have to pay NJ taxes? I'll admit, I don't really know how this works. There are threads on it here all the time, but I never bother to read them.

But I think my point is getting lost. Income tax is really the only tax where you can justify the "fairness" of a progressive system, and I even have a hard time reconciling that, but I can at least see the argument. Luxuries should not be progressive. Why should I have to pay more so that someone else can live in a nice house rather than an apartment? Again, should a poor person get a tax break to buy an 80 inch flat screen? I can't see the argument there.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
would he send American soldier to fight isis? would he balance the federal budget? would he reduce taxes & simplify the tax system?
Yes, No, Maybe.

Hillary:

Yes, No, No.

I can understand you voting for someone else in the primary, but not in the general election.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:01 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Lets be realistic, Christie has the balls and I don't mean that in a physical sense. Hillary is way to shoot from the hip kind of person. If you think Obama was bad, "I have a pen". Hillary will make Obama look like a boy scout.

She's way to power hungry.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:23 PM

Move to Pennsy no NJ tax. Move to Florida and do not work in NJ- both are choices. No different than choices on purchases or size/location of a home.

You see taxes that impact others greater than you as being effected by choices but the tax you think is unfair you do not apply the same standard.

All taxes are impacted by our choices in some manner.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:25 PM

Putin, a foe and Netanyahu an ally would both run over Christie. He is a bully. Hell George Norcross owns him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey