Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 06:47 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Spoken like a true Christie apologist.

I'm sure that he is "tired" of hearing something with which he disagrees, but somebody with respect for other people's right to express their own opinions wouldn't shoot his mouth off the way that he did, and would have had the...polish...to be able to express himself in a more diplomatic way that was not dismissive of other people's opinions.

In short, this was just...not a smart thing for him to do...but--as usual--I'm sure that his fan-boys will declare that they admire his way of speaking his mind.

IMHO--he is going to "speak his mind" into political oblivion on the national scene.

I don't know. Just strategically speaking, he's got to get the republican nomination before he can do anything else. It seems to me like that is exactly the kind of thing they want to hear, no?

He may be offending some people now but not the people who are inclined to vote for him anyway. And by the general election, the statement won't even be remembered. So much controversial stuff (on both sides) will be said between now and then that this will just fade away.

Americans have short memories. A good politician is only as good or bad as his last good or bad deed. If he/she can weather the storm, everything will be OK. Bill Clinton was a great politician, and look at all the storms he weathered. People said Bridgegate was the end of Christie's career, but I knew as long as they didn't find a smoking gun, it would blow over. Not that it was helpful, it wasn't. It was harmful, but he is still in the game. His strategy now is to get the republican nomination, and then move toward the center for the general election.

I think Hillary has an advantage. Unless someone really charismatic comes out of the woodwork to run against her in the primary, she is a lock for the democratic nomination. She won't be in a position where she has to pander to the democratic base. She can play to the center right from the beginning, and not have to backtrack later. Unfortunately for them, the republican candidates aren't so lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 07:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
id sooner vote for Hillary than Christie. I am not of the belief that you win by going to the center. that's how you excite absolutely nobody and lose. that's why republicans were handed losses in 2008 & 2012. if the republicans want to win, they need someone with actual principles and ideas; not just another person dancing around every question so as not to offend anyone.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:37 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
id sooner vote for Hillary than Christie. I am not of the belief that you win by going to the center. that's how you excite absolutely nobody and lose. that's why republicans were handed losses in 2008 & 2012. if the republicans want to win, they need someone with actual principles and ideas; not just another person dancing around every question so as not to offend anyone.
..and you think Hillary is that person...

Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Clinton and Bush won as centrists. Obama wasn't necessarily a centrist, but lets face it, after Bush, ANY democrat would have won the general election. Romney tried to move to the center, but he was so bad at it that nobody believed what he was trying to sell. He was painted (very successfully) as an out of touch elitist, with a car elevator in his garage for all his wife's Cadillacs. And that incredibly damning tape showing his disdain for over 50% of the country certainly didn't help. I think the most charismatic person in the center wins.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
..and you think Hillary is that person...
no. but im either going to vote for that person or vote against whoever is nominated. im done voting for more crappy candidiates like McCain and Romney. for my money, ill take divided government where nothing gets done over another crap politician. im relatively happy with Obama years 2011-present.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Clinton and Bush won as centrists. Obama wasn't necessarily a centrist, but lets face it, after Bush, ANY democrat would have won the general election. Romney tried to move to the center, but he was so bad at it that nobody believed what he was trying to sell. He was painted (very successfully) as an out of touch elitist, with a car elevator in his garage for all his wife's Cadillacs. And that incredibly damning tape showing his disdain for over 50% of the country certainly didn't help. I think the most charismatic person in the center wins.
gwb won a second term with most of the country thinking he was as rightwing as imaginable (even though that wasn't true). Obama won as a communist. a lot of conservatives sat out on Romney and will sit out again if Christie is the nominee. I wont sit out, I will be voting Hillary.

one of the misconceptions is that there are so many centrist voters there that get turned off by both sides. that middle isn't centrist, they are just not politically involved. you want to get them to vote for you, don't moderate; say something that inspires them. hopefully rand can do that. or ideally ron paul.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:04 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
no. but im either going to vote for that person or vote against whoever is nominated. im done voting for more crappy candidiates like McCain and Romney. for my money, ill take divided government where nothing gets done over another crap politician. im relatively happy with Obama years 2011-present.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
gwb won a second term with most of the country thinking he was as rightwing as imaginable (even though that wasn't true). Obama won as a communist. a lot of conservatives sat out on Romney and will sit out again if Christie is the nominee. I wont sit out, I will be voting Hillary.

one of the misconceptions is that there are so many centrist voters there that get turned off by both sides. that middle isn't centrist, they are just not politically involved. you want to get them to vote for you, don't moderate; say something that inspires them. hopefully rand can do that. or ideally ron paul.
Ahh, GWB's second term. We were in the middle of a war, the economy had rebounded from the tech crash, everybody had the illusion of extra money from their home value appreciation, and his approval ratings were still high. At the time, it seemed like he knew what he was doing.

But he won his first term as the "compassionate conservative."

Old 10-23-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
2009 & 2010 were when most of the damage was done. then the republicans took the house and not much got done in government anymore. a lot of people think that's bad, I think that's better than many other scenarios including republicans like McCain and graham in control. the only reason why I even prefer senate control to republicans is I believe guys like ted cruz and rand paul will be more in control than the corrupticrats like McCain. but im not especially excited about it.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:47 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
People said Bridgegate was the end of Christie's career, but I knew as long as they didn't find a smoking gun, it would blow over. Not that it was helpful, it wasn't. It was harmful, but he is still in the game.
Well, he is in the game, but not exactly in a good position. In the most recent poll of Iowa voters, he came in near the bottom among probable Republican candidates, with--IIRC--only 6% saying that they would vote for him. And, even in his home state (you know...the one that he visits occasionally...), his poll numbers are slipping:

Chris Christie's N.J. approval rating continues to slip, poll finds | NJ.com

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey