Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 AM

133 posts, read 502,665 times

Advertisements

The way to not become an angry New Jerseyan is to really take advantage of all this state has to offer,so you aren't resentful of the high taxes and expensive housing,like one of the posters said. Take advantage of your beaches, mountains and county parks. Go to the local theatres around you.(There is PaperMill Playhouse in Millburn, McCarter theatre in Princeton etc with amazing talent there..) Go to NYC and Philadelphia at least once a month. Go to Great Adventure in the summers. Go pumpkin, apple or peach picking at our amazing farms! Go shopping at the best malls and all the great town centers like in Westfield, Summit and Princeton(You don't have to live in those towns to enjoy them!). Get your tax dollars worth!!!!!...One magazine that really is worth buying is NJ Monthly. It tells you about the best restaurants, farms, festivals, museums and events and things to do in NJ. I get it in the mail every month and read it to plan my weekends!!! Even though their school ranking is to be debated (even an average school district is a great one compared to other states!!)....it is a great resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 06:34 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliana View Post
The way to not become an angry New Jerseyan is to really take advantage of all this state has to offer,so you aren't resentful of the high taxes and expensive housing,like one of the posters said. Take advantage of your beaches, mountains and county parks. Go to the local theatres around you.(There is PaperMill Playhouse in Millburn, McCarter theatre in Princeton etc with amazing talent there..) Go to NYC and Philadelphia at least once a month. Go to Great Adventure in the summers. Go pumpkin, apple or peach picking at our amazing farms! Go shopping at the best malls and all the great town centers like in Westfield, Summit and Princeton(You don't have to live in those towns to enjoy them!). Get your tax dollars worth!!!!!...One magazine that really is worth buying is NJ Monthly. It tells you about the best restaurants, farms, festivals, museums and events and things to do in NJ. I get it in the mail every month and read it to plan my weekends!!! Even though their school ranking is to be debated (even an average school district is a great one compared to other states!!)....it is a great resource.
This post makes a lot of sense and more should pay attention.We did all of your suggestions when we lived in NJ, 65+years
We still get NJ monthly mailed to us down here in NC, great mag.
Most NJ public schools are great, I would not want to be sending my kids to school down here, the top rated schools in NC would be on the avoid list back in NJ.

We didn't leave because we hated NJ, we left because we got tired of shoveling snow and raking leaves.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:53 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Where in the world did you come up with this Evaporotive recovery system damage? Have you been reading mechanix illustrated?

I'll bet you like being a gas pump wrangler.

Pumping your own gas is highly overrated especially when it is 20 degrees and raining/snowing.
Remember at one time all stations pumped gas for you until they figured out they could get the customers to do it and still charge more than the full service stations.

I wonder how many guys now get a welfare check instead of the minimum wage they can get for pumping gas.?

I don't mind pumping my own gas but I also don't mind paying somebody to pump for me especially when it's cheaper than pump your own like it is in NJ.
the self serve stations in PA have been around as long as me and my dad can remember. and they've always been less expensive than full serve by a couple pennies at least.

and since there is no "pump your own" in NJ, you have no idea if it's cheaper or not.

and weather doesn't matter. if it's 20 degrees out, go out, insert pump, click it onto one of the the holds or stick your gas cap in to hold it if it doesn't have the holder built into the knozzle. get back in car. click...get out of car, remove pump. leave.

do you long for the days when 8-track workers had jobs too? how about phone-switch operators?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
This is hardly an obscure phenomenon!
If you are not aware of this cause of expensive damage to the Evaporative Emissions System, then you may want to go to a site oriented toward auto repair in order to read about it. The Car Talk website currently lists 210 threads in which someone has posted a question about this type of problem, and its cause. One of the clearer threads on the topic can be found at
Intermittant problem - Car Talk

Do I like being a "gas pump wrangler"? No, I don't enjoy it, but I do take satisfaction in being able to avoid unnecessary repair costs.

One of my friends never used to get out of the driver's seat of his Toyota Highlander during fueling, and the result was a bill of over $300 to replace the carbon canister that is the heart of the car's evaporative emissions system. Hyundais seem to be very prone to this type of damage also.
After this one expensive episode, my friend began following my advice to monitor and control the fueling process, and the problem has not recurred.

The inclement weather can make exiting from the driver's seat less than pleasant on some days, but if a little bit or rain on my clothing or a few minutes of exposure to cold weather can save me several hundred dollars, I consider that to be a pretty good bargain. When I was a gas station attendant, back in my college days, all-day exposure to the elements did not prove to be fatal, so I doubt if 4 or 5 minutes of this exposure is going to harm me in the era of stations that have protection from the elements.

Also--I usually wind up spending less time in gas stations as a result of not waiting for the attendant to return. All-in-all, I think that saving money and saving time is a pretty good trade-off for simply getting off of one's butt for a few minutes!
also....

Don't Top Off Your Gas Tank! | Mid-Atlantic Air Protection

Topping off the gas tank can result in your paying for gasoline that is fed back into the station's tanks because your gas tank is full. The gas nozzle automatically clicks off when your gas tank is full. In areas of ozone nonattainment, gas station pumps are equipped with vapor recovery systems that feed back gas vapors into their tanks to prevent vapors from escaping into the air and contributing to air pollution. Any additional gas you try to pump into your tank may be drawn into the vapor line and fed back into the station’s storage tanks.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
well said Taliana!!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:17 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
do you long for the days when 8-track workers had jobs too? how about phone-switch operators?
Let's not forget about all of those Buggy Whip assemblers who lost their jobs due to the advent of the automobile.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 AM

396 posts, read 708,262 times
Quote:
This is a fantastic post! When we first moved here, I really was gobsmacked, wondering what we had done to ourselves. Everything cost more, people were rude, traffic, etc. Years later, we have come to love it. I think part of it is everything becomes home, after a while. The other is that I truly believe the quality of things here is higher than other places....

The theaters--we see every PaperMill show imaginable and we go into Broadaway all the time and it's awe inspiring to see Tony winners belting out songs. Last year, we saw Memphis and I got the chills knowing I was watching the best of the best.

The beachers are charming beyond belief--well some anyway! Parks, festivals etc....all high caliber.

I also believe our children are getting a much better free education here than they would have elsewhere.

Yes--other places have these things--festivals, etc---but the northeast is, in many ways, the cultural center of our country. Maybe, more than anything else, that is what I enjoy here!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 AM
PDD

Quote:
the self serve stations in PA have been around as long as me and my dad can remember. and they've always been less expensive than full serve by a couple pennies at least.

and since there is no "pump your own" in NJ, you have no idea if it's cheaper or not.
I was in PA and NJ last week, the gas was cheaper in NJ,

Old 09-29-2011, 08:12 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Let's not forget about all of those Buggy Whip assemblers who lost their jobs due to the advent of the automobile.
Can you think up any more stupid things to say? Perhaps when they do away with your job you will have more brilliant comments.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 AM

234 posts, read 939,825 times
Quote:
... the self serve stations in PA have been around as long as me and my dad can remember. and they've always been less expensive than full serve by a couple pennies at least.
After a lifetime spent living in New Jersey, I now live in Pennsylvania. There may be a few full-serve stations in PA, but I have never seen one myself.

What I can tell you is that every self-serve station in PA charges more for gas than any full-serve station in NJ. That has nothing to do with the service, it's just that PA's gasoline tax is higher than NJ's gasoline tax. I believe that the difference is about fifteen cents per gallon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey