Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 PM

12 posts, read 52,544 times

Advertisements

I am looking for myself. Preferably someone that deals with postpartum depression.

Thanks ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,677,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPJFan View Post
I am looking for myself. Preferably someone that deals with postpartum depression.

Thanks ahead of time!

For something this important, I would be wary, only because psychology isn't a one size fits all solution. I would advise talking to your OB/GYN for a recommendation first, and ask for several recommendations. See which one you feel most comfortable with.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 52,544 times
I asked them for help and they told me that they don't handle it and to find a psychologist. Not even sure where to look really.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:18 PM

88,044 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPJFan View Post
I asked them for help and they told me that they don't handle it and to find a psychologist. Not even sure where to look really.
Do you have health insurance that covers those types of services? Normally your health insurance company has a list of doctors in its network and/or has a searchable database on their website.

There are other databases to search for physicians on the Internet. I am going to see if I can find one. I'll be back.

I found this--it looks like a place to start. http://www.postpartumstress.com/index.html (broken link)

NJ practitioners should have some awareness and resources for PPD, since former Gov. Codey's wife, Mary Codey, experienced it herself and speaks publicly about it.

Good luck. I hope you find some help very soon.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-01-2011 at 08:30 PM..

Old 10-01-2011, 08:22 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,146,006 times
Postpartum depression is an extremely serious illness, women have murdered their new babies because of it ... If you think you have a concern, I wouldn't post on a blog or website, I'd call your doctor, and immediately !!

I'm not sure where you live, but in the State of NJ, OBGYN's are required to conduct mandatory testing for this illness now ... perhaps all do not follow that law, but it is a law. I know it's posted on the wall in my doctor's office- clear as day ... "The State of NJ now requires all new mothers to be tested for PostPartum Depression" ...

Remember that woman a few years ago with a few kids, and she drowned them all in the bathtub ?? Heart-wrenching ...

Brooke Shields wrote a book about it, "

Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression"

http://www.amazon.com/Down-Came-Rain.../dp/1401301894

Last edited by ImCurlybelle; 10-01-2011 at 08:32 PM..

Old 10-01-2011, 08:31 PM

88,044 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Postpartum Depression | New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services

This is a link with support groups by county, and that might be a start to finding a recommendation.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 AM

328 posts, read 1,045,609 times
I cannot vouch for these suggestions personally. However, when I asked some doula friends for recommendations about a year ago, these were the names I got (I know they aren't really central NJ though):

Susan Esserman is in Bergen County, NJ...201-385-2377
Ilana Rosenberg in Ridgewood
Susan Morota (Mt Laurel?)
There is a woman in this group: Morris Psych

There is also www.solaceformothers.org and PSI New Jersey

And several hospitals run support groups for mothers with PPD. Off the top of my head, I'm fairly certain that Hunterdon Medical and St Clare's run support groups. Check their websites for info but I'm sure whoever runs those groups would have suggestions as well.

Best of luck!!!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 PM

26 posts, read 93,679 times
Another site that may help with referrals is the Depression and Bipolar Support group page: Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance: Find a Mental Health Professional

Old 10-03-2011, 11:53 AM

85 posts, read 214,911 times
David N. Lipton is in Red Bank, NJ. He is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey