Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 PM

15 posts, read 45,865 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NJ later this month (from out of state) and still trying to decide where to rent my apartment. My company is in Bernards and I want to live close to Edison since I have friends & family there.

Want to keep my daily commute within 30 mins one-way (driving myself) and I have no idea how bad the traffic on I287 will be for my direction & section during the rush hours. Piscataway is about 25 mins from my company on Google maps, can I make it in 30 minutes during rush hours? (I don't mind driving, but really hate stop & go traffic on the freeway)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 AM

153 posts, read 248,897 times
Default 287

287 is seriously backed up in and around Edison during the morning rush hour. It's been a few years since I've driven north at that hour, but these days on the short drive I take on the road going South, I notice the northbound lanes are an absolute parking lot and I'm thankful every day that I'm not going in that direction. I recall it eases up a little north of bound brook, but I've spent many mornings sitting motionless going north. I wouldn't want to enter 287 anywhere from Woodbridge to Bound Brook going north on a daily basis.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:34 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
You might try plainfield ave/531? thru edison, metuchen, edison, plainfield cross rt 22 and then back roads to Bernardsville. Look for a link with rt 512 to 206N. I lived in Fords and had to go up 287 to rt 23 and this was one of the routes I would take on occassion. 531 will go through Myersville, Great Swamp to Harter rd wich comes out on 287 just before Morristown.

Yep 287 is horrible going north in the am. Heavy traffic makes for creative routes.

Too bad you couldn't get a flex schedule so you could miss the traffic. Go early and go to a gym for a workout.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 AM

8 posts, read 42,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Yep 287 is horrible going north in the am. Heavy traffic makes for creative routes.

Too bad you couldn't get a flex schedule so you could miss the traffic. Go early and go to a gym for a workout.
This ^^. I drive the Parkway from Exit 109 to Rt. 287 North to Exit 7 and back every day, Rt. 287 is AWFUL, from the beginning (Rt. 440) to Exit 4, it just crawls in both directions during rush hour (7AM - 9:30 AM Northbound and 4 PM - 6 PM Southbound).

I wish I could go another way to my job, but I feel like this is the easiest route. Not too mention the way people drive in this area, mixed with the horrible pavement that isn't kept up, makes for a fun commute every day

Definitely find a way around Rt 287 at all costs, or change your schedule so it's different than the normal 9-5.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:02 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,271 times
I agree with everything the previous posters stated about traffic on Rt. 287 North during rush hours. I used to drive it from Flemington and it took me at least 45 minutes to get to work and that doesn't include traffic jams or accidents. I used to have nightmares about that commute.

Even taking the back roads which Kracer mentioned (I took the same route when I lived in South Plainfield) will take at least 45 minutes to 1 hour one way depending on traffic. You might consider leasing an apartment closer to your job.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:25 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
yeah, 287 N is pretty brutal during the normal rush hour. i do the reverse commute and am quite glad.

can you do a test run or two and see how much it annoys you? even my reverse commute doesn't take what it *should* take given the mileage. there is always some traffic you battle with.

is carpooling to your job an option?

Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
I'd live near Bernards. The ride to Edison is easy off hours (when you'd be seeing your friends), but hell during rush hour.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 AM

97 posts, read 310,935 times
Why don't you move to The Hills in Bedminster? That woudl be about a 25 min drive to Edison and 10 min drive to Bernards. Since you would be commuting to work 5 days a week, it would make more sense to find a place to live based on your job, but close enough to family where you can see them on the weekends.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:41 AM

15 posts, read 45,865 times
The rental price seems to be a lot higher at the 'The Hills' (I don't think there any any apartment complex there, just owners trying rent out their condos on their own) It is much easier to find a decent 1 bedroom apartment under $1500 (include heating cost during the winter months) in Piscataway compare to The Hills or Bedminster.

I guess Somerville will be my best choice now. A few posters above have suggested the traffic will be a lot better after Bound Brook and there are many rental choices I can pick from.

Also, what about the I78 traffic going Westbound during the morning hours? I have thought about North PlainField/ PlainField area before but my friend told me that's not a very good neighborhood to live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrz77 View Post
Why don't you move to The Hills in Bedminster? That woudl be about a 25 min drive to Edison and 10 min drive to Bernards. Since you would be commuting to work 5 days a week, it would make more sense to find a place to live based on your job, but close enough to family where you can see them on the weekends.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:58 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkwu View Post
The rental price seems to be a lot higher at the 'The Hills' (I don't think there any any apartment complex there, just owners trying rent out their condos on their own) It is much easier to find a decent 1 bedroom apartment under $1500 (include heating cost during the winter months) in Piscataway compare to The Hills or Bedminster.

I guess Somerville will be my best choice now. A few posters above have suggested the traffic will be a lot better after Bound Brook and there are many rental choices I can pick from.

Also, what about the I78 traffic going Westbound during the morning hours? I have thought about North PlainField/ PlainField area before but my friend told me that's not a very good neighborhood to live in.
Somerville or Bridgewater would be good options for you. Great restaurants, shopping and close to just about everything including your job and their rents are cheaper (though Bridgewater would be in just about the same price range for townhouses or condos as the Hills-maybe a little lower depending on the area and complex. There are apartment complexes and privately owned apartments in both these towns. Your friend was right, you want to stay away from Plainfield and North Plainfield. I'd stay away from Bound Brook too. That town has problems with crime and major flooding unless you are on the northside of Rt. 22.

The traffic on 78W in the mornings is not quite as bad as eastbound but there still is alot of traffic during rush hours. This is New Jersey afterall lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey