Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:40 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,831,630 times

Advertisements

i dont know where you work now. is that relevant to you?

what about moving out west out route 80, 78. Or somewhere outside of Morristown... chester.. .something like that. Home prices go down fast as you get out 80.

High Bridge is on the direct to NY train route I think. houses are cheapest. life is different though. It is more country-ish .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 12:42 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
You're right loan principal would be about $450K-460K at 5% with a $2450 payment.
i assumed prop taxes were rolled into it. i could be wrong though.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 8,997 times
Please accept my apologies. I do not make 'well' into the six figures. I was rushing. I make 125k.

All your suggestions are welcomed. I will look into paramus. Also Hunterdon county.

My wife keeps saying though if we are going to move she wants to move somewhere warm. I'm open to it. My current company is open to moving me to colorado. I'm thinking a 3-5 year move and take advantage of the savings over there then come back. then again I might not want to.

Long story short, I would be in a great position financially today had my wife not forced me to buy her mothers house (no discount). I had a 15 year mortgage that would have ended. My equity would have been about 375k. Now it's 210k. I would have had enough to buy a 600k house easily. Oh well. I'm over it. We are focusing on how we can live a better life and give our kids more.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 AM

342 posts, read 716,202 times
If commuting is not an issue, you could try Warren County. Housing prices are significantly lower than Bergen county, although taxes are still high. If you picked a town close to Rte. 80, that would lower commuting time a bit.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:23 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jranaudo View Post
My wife and I live in bergen county. We have become frustrated with the cost of living in this state and are considering moving out. What are some alternatives within state? I don't mind a long commute to be honest. I heard whitehouse station area is better.

Some additional background:

I make well into 6 figures.
My wife does not work
We are constantly over budget but are not big spenders
We have no cars payments
We have 3 kids. Ages 6,6 and 9.
I own a four bedroom house that is always needing repairs
I pay $11,200 in taxes per year!
I am willing to find a job where I can work from home some days a week which will make commute easier.
Only thing keeping me here is family and close friends.

I just can't take working hard, making what is good money and feeling like I am barely making ends meet. Plus just thinking of my kids future.

Opinions welcomed.
I moved from Bergen County, where I lived almost all of my life except for a few years in Passaic County towns, to Monmouth County two years ago precisely because Bergen had gotten too expensive. Don't get me wrong-- Monmouth isn't cheap compared to, say, North Carolina or some other state. It's still NJ. But, I was able to buy a condo down here, which was not possible for me to do in Bergen County. Obviously, I'm in a different situation--long-divorced with one kid, now in college. There are wealthy areas in Monmouth that you can't touch, but there are also affordable options not available in Bergen County, and the taxes are a little lower.

Plus, we have an ocean. Also a GREAT county park system, and a much shorter ride than Bergen to find yourself driving through horse country and farmland.

I also commute to NYC. It is longer from here than it was from Ridgewood by about 1/2 an hour, but to me, it was worth it.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:57 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,831,630 times
i wonder if you could mention where you live now, where you work.. or maybe what price range of home would better suit your income. maybe you could move not far away to a cheaper home?

how did you get duped into buying your MIL's house at full price! is your wife attached to the home?

if your wife wants to move warm, colorado isn't quite the place.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:20 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i wonder if you could mention where you live now, where you work.. or maybe what price range of home would better suit your income. maybe you could move not far away to a cheaper home?

how did you get duped into buying your MIL's house at full price! is your wife attached to the home?

if your wife wants to move warm, colorado isn't quite the place.
yeah, i was thinking the same thing! talk about schizophrenic weather!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:38 PM

4 posts, read 8,997 times
Wife had issues with her fathers death.

STILL you think that ***** would have given us a discount!! Anything! I had to fight her because she was asking 10k above similar houses!! I got her to drop 10k off the price. You know what, she damn moved to Florida and spent it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey