U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2011, 12:08 PM
 
9 posts, read 44,600 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm in desperate need help....my family and I are planning on moving from NYC to Linden NJ. We were looking at Maplewood first, but were not able to find a home suitable for our large family in our "lower" price range. So we moved 10 minutes over to the Linden area. I know NOTHING about Linden and I'm really concerned because my children are 17, 9 and 11 and will be in the public school system. They've always gong to school in Brooklyn, and it's one of the best public schools in the US and I really don't want to make any mistakes here.....I need the schools to be good; I don't want my babies to be tramatized

So here is my info and hopefully I'll get some feedback"

My husband and I will both commute back to NY for work
All three children will attend school in Linden: 11th grade, sixth grade and 5th grade.

We've looked at homes on Pallant Street, N. Wood Avenue and I'm considering one on Bower Street, but I'm not sure how that area of Linden is as far as safety and which schools they'd be zoned for.

So I guess my overall questions are: Is Linden a safe town for young families and is the school system up to par? Also, which areas in Linden are safest to live in?
I hope I'm not being to broad with the word "safe" because I know it's relative, but if you were in our position, what would you do?

Btw, our budget for our home is $355,000 and the taxes in NJ are INSANE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:55 PM
 
16,409 posts, read 19,812,989 times
Reputation: 21268
If I were you, I would look a little bit further south, in Woodbridge Township. While Woodbridge is nowhere near as good as it used to be, it is still safer than Linden, and their school system is better than Linden's.

Another town to consider is Roselle Park (NOT Roselle!) for the price range of houses that you are seeking.

And, by the way, Linden is MUCH further than "10 minutes over" from Maplewood! What may look close on a map is not really close, in reality.

If you really think that Linden is close to Maplewood, then perhaps the locations of Linden, Woodbridge, and Roselle Park are not what you really want.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:58 PM
 
1,248 posts, read 2,693,143 times
Reputation: 639
I do not know of anything decent within 10 minutes of Maplewood within the OP's budget that would be reasonable.

But yeah Linden of all places is pretty much an extension of Elizabeth of this point: old, industrial, smelly, urban etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,381 posts, read 24,486,023 times
Reputation: 4542
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I do not know of anything decent within 10 minutes of Maplewood within the OP's budget that would be reasonable.

But yeah Linden of all places is pretty much an extension of Elizabeth of this point: old, industrial, smelly, urban etc.
Thats not true , its residential , and alot of Urban Renewal has occurred in the past 15 years. It doesn't smell either , your thinking of Cartlet....Rahway and Linden are the same on every level although Rahway has nicer homes. The Chemical plants in both towns are separated from the town itself by the Northeast Corridor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 07:32 AM
 
16,409 posts, read 19,812,989 times
Reputation: 21268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats not true , its residential , and alot of Urban Renewal has occurred in the past 15 years. It doesn't smell either , your thinking of Cartlet....Rahway and Linden are the same on every level although Rahway has nicer homes. The Chemical plants in both towns are separated from the town itself by the Northeast Corridor.

So, I guess that you haven't read the numerous news articles over the past few years detailing the incredible increase in violent crime in Linden?
What used to be a quiet, lower-middle class town is rapidly devolving into a little urban-like cesspool, thanks to the inner-city types who have moved in over the past 8 years or so.

As to the chemical plants that are "separated" from the towns by The Northeast Corridor--if wind currents respected the presence of a RR line, then the presence of refineries and chemical plants might be a non-issue. However, those RR tracks do nothing to prevent chemical odors from invading areas to the west of the RR tracks when the breeze blows from the east. And, of course, both towns have a substantial portion of their housing stock located to the east of those RR tracks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 AM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,381 posts, read 24,486,023 times
Reputation: 4542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
So, I guess that you haven't read the numerous news articles over the past few years detailing the incredible increase in violent crime in Linden?
What used to be a quiet, lower-middle class town is rapidly devolving into a little urban-like cesspool, thanks to the inner-city types who have moved in over the past 8 years or so.

As to the chemical plants that are "separated" from the towns by The Northeast Corridor--if wind currents respected the presence of a RR line, then the presence of refineries and chemical plants might be a non-issue. However, those RR tracks do nothing to prevent chemical odors from invading areas to the west of the RR tracks when the breeze blows from the east. And, of course, both towns have a substantial portion of their housing stock located to the east of those RR tracks.
I haven't heard of any stories of crime increasing.....its level... It doesn't look like an Urban Cesspool , ive been all over this region and seen the worst of the worst and Linden and Rahway don't even come close to that yet there always lumped into the same category. As for the Chemicals and wind currents , it mostly blows east towards Staten Island and 90% of the housing is west of the tracks. The Railroad is elevated so it acts like a medium sized buffer between most of the wind....its also huge width...6-9 tracks.. If Linden was becoming a cesspool , I would be the first to notice , but it isn't. Rumors seem to ruining this region again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,595,717 times
Reputation: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats not true , its residential , and alot of Urban Renewal has occurred in the past 15 years. It doesn't smell either , your thinking of Cartlet....Rahway and Linden are the same on every level although Rahway has nicer homes. The Chemical plants in both towns are separated from the town itself by the Northeast Corridor.
I would not recommend moving to Linden. It's not pretty, and the schools are not good. It is pretty convenient to get in and out of Manhattan, but that is really all it has going for it. It's a blue collar, industrial town.

Also, as another poster mentioned, it is much more than 10 minutes from Maplewood.

What public school in Brooklyn is one of the top schools in the US? That does not sound right at all.

Check out the towns of Kenilworth and Clark. Also Garwood. In this economy, you might even find a small 3-bedroom in Cranford for around $375k if you stretch your budget a bit (Cranford has one of the best school systems around).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ
341 posts, read 618,230 times
Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbarino View Post
Hello,

I'm in desperate need help....my family and I are planning on moving from NYC to Linden NJ. We were looking at Maplewood first, but were not able to find a home suitable for our large family in our "lower" price range. So we moved 10 minutes over to the Linden area. I know NOTHING about Linden and I'm really concerned because my children are 17, 9 and 11 and will be in the public school system. They've always gong to school in Brooklyn, and it's one of the best public schools in the US and I really don't want to make any mistakes here.....I need the schools to be good; I don't want my babies to be tramatized

So here is my info and hopefully I'll get some feedback"

My husband and I will both commute back to NY for work
All three children will attend school in Linden: 11th grade, sixth grade and 5th grade.

We've looked at homes on Pallant Street, N. Wood Avenue and I'm considering one on Bower Street, but I'm not sure how that area of Linden is as far as safety and which schools they'd be zoned for.

So I guess my overall questions are: Is Linden a safe town for young families and is the school system up to par? Also, which areas in Linden are safest to live in?
I hope I'm not being to broad with the word "safe" because I know it's relative, but if you were in our position, what would you do?

Btw, our budget for our home is $355,000 and the taxes in NJ are INSANE
This is what you can expect for an answer about opinions on towns or neighborhoods at City Data:

-Do not think about moving to any area where the majority of inhabitants are minorities

-By all means move to area in question if the majority of residents are of European extraction

Furthermore, it seems that the posters usually choosing to opine either do not live in town in question and/or have never even been there; rather, they are getting their "info" from what they read from second hand sources. There are neighborhoods in this state that are mostly black and/or Hispanic and are safe but you would be searching for a miracle if you are expecting a non-minority to suggest that you move there.

There are some perfectly acceptable areas of Linden and if you have instilled the value of a good education and good study habits in your children they will do fine in Linden. You see, Linden schools are diverse and to most white people the phrase "racially diverse" means "head for the hills." One of my in-laws children go to school in Linden and they are doing fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 01:02 PM
 
1,248 posts, read 2,693,143 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats not true , its residential , and alot of Urban Renewal has occurred in the past 15 years. It doesn't smell either , your thinking of Cartlet....Rahway and Linden are the same on every level although Rahway has nicer homes. The Chemical plants in both towns are separated from the town itself by the Northeast Corridor.
Linden, Rahway and Carteret all smell. The oil plant is right off 1&9 which is the main road that runs through Rahway and Linden.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 03:29 PM
 
9 posts, read 44,600 times
Reputation: 14
LOL!! You all have informed me and entertained me a bit as well!

We've driven around Linden, the Sunnyside area and that section seemed pretty nice in fact. But I do know that NJ is different from NY in that you have to go to certain schools. Here in NY, you can pretty much choose the school you send your child to. You may have to "fight" a little, but it's usually a simple process.

Btw, Brooklyn has some of the BEST school in the nation.....research it~!!!!!

I'm just confused because from what I've read here, on the forums at least, it seems like if you cross the street and walk one block you have the potential to be in a war zone. But if you walk two blocks in the opposite direction, its nice and calm and quiet!!!! WTH????????

Linden seemed to me to be a very mixed area, which is what I'm looking for. I don't want my children growing up or going to school with one particular race because the world is so not like that.

Maplewood was a 10 minute drive!!!!! I don't care what your all say!!! 10 -15 minutes TOPS!!!!

So keep the responses coming.........I need info from Jersey residents!!! I'm cluesless about your state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top