Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,850 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My small family is relocating to NJ from NY but unfortunately we do not know much about NJ. As we begin our search, we are basically looking for a home in an area that is:

Within a 30 minute drive/30 mile radius of Edison NJ
Family-friendly
Good/Excellent school district
Decent property tax (under $10,000)
Extremely Safe
Non-flood zone area
Close to NYC transportation
No more than say 45min drive or train ride to NYC
Not far from NJ highways (no more than say a 10-15 min drive to the NJ highway for instance)

Any ideas on where we can begin our search? Is this list completely unrealistic? Thanks so much for any info it is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,172,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode1 View Post
Hello all,

My small family is relocating to NJ from NY but unfortunately we do not know much about NJ. As we begin our search, we are basically looking for a home in an area that is:

Within a 30 minute drive/30 mile radius of Edison NJ
Family-friendly
Good/Excellent school district
Decent property tax (under $10,000)
Extremely Safe
Non-flood zone area
Close to NYC transportation
No more than say 45min drive or train ride to NYC
Not far from NJ highways (no more than say a 10-15 min drive to the NJ highway for instance)

Any ideas on where we can begin our search? Is this list completely unrealistic? Thanks so much for any info it is greatly appreciated!!!
You didn't mention your budget which makes it difficult to provide any answer. But excluding budget consideration, you can start with Edison, Clark, Westfield and Scotch Plains.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,850 times
Hi, thanks for the quick response!

Budget-wise we're looking at 375k-400k.

Thanks again!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:03 AM

87 posts, read 236,364 times
I'd start in the northern part of Edison (north of Metuchen, near Metropark train station) if you want to be that close to NYC ... but I need to put in a plug for Highland Park, which is SW of Edison and probably an hour and 15 to NYC by train, but meets the rest of your requirements and is convenient to both Edison and New Brunswick. The north side of town is both cheaper and less likely to flood.

I should add that parts of northern Edison/Iselin are called Little India for a reason. I'd totally live there myself, but be aware that the majority of shops, restaurants, etc. in those neighborhoods cater to the Indian population (e.g. Indian food, Indian groceries, clothing stores that sell saris, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey