Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 PM

132 posts, read 310,714 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for an apartment for quite some time now, and have come up short on all counts. I work in the northern part of Jersey City, and due to the affects of Hurricane Irene on the MNR Port Jervis line, spend about four hours combined everyday commuting to and from work to Orange County, NY. The apartment search so far has been an absolute nightmare- the northern NJ Craigslist section is filled with scams, spam, and blatant false advertising (been there, done that). Trulia is mostly a repeat of Craigslist. RE agents want nothing to do with cheaper apartment rentals because they don't net a large enough profit for them to care about, and even if you do manage to get in touch with them, they just give you the runaround...for days...(been there done that too) I'm to the point where I've put some thought into quitting my job and relocating to a better, cheaper place- somewhere well outside of this tri-state area.

I've mostly looked around Jersey City and points north, but am admittedly not very familiar with the area, and could use some pointers. I really liked the Fort Lee area, but finding something there has been tricky. Some info is provided below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Where are you coming from? southern Orange County, NY
Why are you moving? northern NJ (Hudson, Bergen, or Essex County...I presume)
Where will you be working ? Jersey City (Washington Blvd.)
Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? 1250 and below
What kind of place are you looking for ? Something with four walls and ceiling that is pest free. A window would be nice too and preferably something that isn't clearly an illegal apartment.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? No
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
Safety is of primary concern. A young community would be a better match, but is not really a necessity.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

In my dreams...easy parking, short commute, and safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 04:54 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,782,631 times
Have you looked in Weehawken or Jersey City Heights? Or Historic Downtown Jersey City? The only areas that you stay away from are , South & West Wards of Newark , Irvington , Elizapartport , Greenville / Bergen - Layette in Jersey City and Union City unless you speak Spanish.....

Old 10-05-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Have you looked in Weehawken or Jersey City Heights? Or Historic Downtown Jersey City? The only areas that you stay away from are , South & West Wards of Newark , Irvington , Elizapartport , Greenville / Bergen - Layette in Jersey City and Union City unless you speak Spanish.....
Thanks for your response. I've looked in Weehawken, as it looks like a fairly nice area, but haven't been able to find anything that fits my budget. Real estate rentals seem to be in short supply there though too. I've walked around Hamilton Park in Jersey City, and it seems to be a nice place, but never found anything available for rent there either. It looked like parking would have been a real hassle too, and I don't want to sell my car at the moment because I fully own it.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,035,953 times
look at north bergen and cliffside park

Old 10-05-2011, 05:27 PM

88,222 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Try Rutherford or Lyndhurst.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:43 PM

595 posts, read 1,552,298 times
craigslist has a lot of choices. just a quick search for weehawken brings a lot of results with good prices you are looking for. i found my apartment from there. most of the listings on craigslist are legit! never had a problem. here is a quick result http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/2629848384.html (broken link)

Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM

831 posts, read 2,819,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
craigslist has a lot of choices. just a quick search for weehawken brings a lot of results with good prices you are looking for. i found my apartment from there. most of the listings on craigslist are legit! never had a problem. here is a quick result Large 3 bedroom $1,250 (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/2629848384.html - broken link)
He said he tried craigslist and it's full of scams.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:56 PM

So last week I ended up responding to an ad on Craigslist. Set up an appointment for the 10th. Talked to the guy over the phone. Everything sounded great. What happens today? Guy doesn't even show up to the appointment. Won't even answer phone calls. Total waste of time. This marks the second time that this has happened. But woohoo...I LOVE NJ!!! Such an amazing place to live and work.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:01 PM

831 posts, read 2,819,895 times
Craigslist is a waste of time 99% of the time, it's been taken over by spam & scam artists. When it looks too good to be true, it is!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:24 PM

390 posts, read 1,363,876 times
Will you be driving to work or relying on Public Transportation? If you're driving, you have a lot of options at that price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey