Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 08:15 AM

39 posts, read 72,488 times

Advertisements

We moved into a very expensive house rental a month ago. Husband told landlord he would cut grass it is not a big yard.
had a landscaper turn up last week and said our landlord told him we would sign a contract for 300 a month for the next year to do our litle lawn we said hell no we pay xxxx a month to live here and we never agreed to it , plus cannot afford it!the landlord sent an email saying
he has ppl watching the house and ppl have told him his lawn needs a cut...and that (his words)

it is very important that it gets done every week and that it gets cut with a lawnmower w/ a bag. is very important that the yard gets done to our satisfaction. We want the yard to be taken care of weekly & it needs to be cut, edged,and weeded also before it gets cold it needs to be fertilized and weed kill needs to be done. he also needs it to be kept how he kept it.
Can he ask this off us?? I have a house in another state i rent out and would never expect my tenant to do this
Hubby and i are livid and worry now abut the next year .... also worried he will not give our deposit back claiming he has a weed in his yard! when we leave.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 AM

572 posts, read 2,015,021 times
Where is your home located? Many towns have regulations about the upkeep of properties but that sounds a little bit much to me.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:24 AM

19,038 posts, read 25,123,345 times
Did you sign a lease?
If so, does the lease state something to the effect of...tenant will pay for lawn maintenance, as per landlord's specifications...or...tenant will provide maintenance for lawn, as per landlord's specifications...or, even something as simple as...tenant will cut lawn?

A lease is essentially a contract regarding rental and all terms of that rental. Just like any other contract, the only things that you agreed to are contained within the four corners of that piece of paper.

What can you tell us about this issue?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM

39 posts, read 72,488 times
Default hi

yes we signed a lease, no mention of lawn care, hubby just told him we would make sure the grass is cut that was it.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 AM

50,133 posts, read 35,782,086 times
I think it's his obligation to pay if he think's it's not being done enough, but I don't know. If he thinks it's worth $300/month, he should take that off your rent! I would be more upset about "I have people watching the house".

Old 10-07-2011, 09:00 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,672,946 times
If there is nothing in your lease stating you must pay an extra fee or tend to the outside property then it is your landlord's responsibility, not yours. When it comes to leases anything said verbally is not admissible in court, everything MUST be in writing. You are not responsible for anything here, not even mowing the lawn.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,440 times
my landlord stands in my front yard and scream and cusses at me and in front of my children. now the upstairs neighbor has joined in. they call me white trash and tell me to go back to virginia where i belong. this is mainly because my dogs back at the mailman and am a smoker. i do not have a lease and have been here for 3 years. i am in southern new jersey...what can i do?! this started in sept 2011 and now i am afraid to answer my door for fear it is a confrontation on the other side

Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM

11,290 posts, read 16,570,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijapa View Post
my landlord stands in my front yard and scream and cusses at me and in front of my children. now the upstairs neighbor has joined in. they call me white trash and tell me to go back to virginia where i belong. this is mainly because my dogs back at the mailman and am a smoker. i do not have a lease and have been here for 3 years. i am in southern new jersey...what can i do?! this started in sept 2011 and now i am afraid to answer my door for fear it is a confrontation on the other side
Call the police and file harrasment charges.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijapa View Post
Something doesn't add up. If you have no lease you are month to month. The LL could just give you 30 days notice.

Or you could just give 30 days notice. Why on earth would you stay there?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,672,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Something doesn't add up. If you have no lease you are month to month. The LL could just give you 30 days notice.

Or you could just give 30 days notice. Why on earth would you stay there?
That was my first thought. The answer to your question is MOVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey