Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,463 times

Advertisements

I got two offers, one is at Oradell,NJ (Bergen County), the other is at downtown Chicago.

Oradell pay me 12% higher than Chicago(considering the living cost, the living standard is almost the same then). But Oradell is not so impressive when I visited my company, I guess I could go to NYC for nightlife, but I doubt it will be convenient for me. Chicago seems to have better and convenient nightlife, sightseeing, and lifestyle which will be my taste, the only thing I don't like is the weather.

Is Oradell or Bengen county a fun city or place to live? I am in my late 20's, would like to hear some experience from the local guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,875,433 times
If what you're looking for is a night life, you should pick Chicago over Oradell. Oradell is adorable, quaint and close to lots of shops and lots of parks. Most of those BC towns are really cute. (I used to live a few miles from Oradell.) I LOVED it. But for night life...no. I think if you want a really active night life you'd dry up in Oradell. And getting into Manhattan from there is a chore, maybe not for commuting, but for getting there after work or whatever--you'd be too tired to party at that piont. Pick Chicago!

Good luck on your move and your new job!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,463 times
Thank you for your reply. Since it is my first job offer, really need to keep balance about job opportunity, salary, and life style.

I always heard people talked about high tax about NJ, is it really that bad?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 AM

32 posts, read 126,555 times
I agree with JerZ. Chicago is a better choice if you are looking for a nightlife.

If you pick Oradell, Hoboken is also a great little town for night life in your age range. It is about a 30 min drive from Oradell though.

Good luck.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:18 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,922,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiam View Post
I got two offers, one is at Oradell,NJ (Bergen County), the other is at downtown Chicago.

Oradell pay me 12% higher than Chicago(considering the living cost, the living standard is almost the same then). But Oradell is not so impressive when I visited my company, I guess I could go to NYC for nightlife, but I doubt it will be convenient for me. Chicago seems to have better and convenient nightlife, sightseeing, and lifestyle which will be my taste, the only thing I don't like is the weather.

Is Oradell or Bengen county a fun city or place to live? I am in my late 20's, would like to hear some experience from the local guys.
Oradell is definitely NOT a party town. Hoboken would be your best bet for night life, meeting other young people, etc. ANd, of course, there is always NYC.

My advice would be to pick the job not the location. Sounds like you're just starting your career so pick a job that you would enjoy and would give you opportunities to grow and advance in your career.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:18 PM

857 posts, read 1,997,275 times
Yeah, I think you should change your thinking. Oradell would be painfully boring to live in for a young single person. But you could live in hoboken, which has a great scene, and a 15 min subway ride into midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: