Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
 
5 posts, read 37,539 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

We are thinking of buying a home in Franklin Lakes. What is the commute time to NYC by bus? I would be leaving at 7AM and returning at 6PM.

The travel time on the bus schedule is about 50 minutes each way. Is this realistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 PM
 
2,535 posts, read 6,628,563 times
Reputation: 1602
The big drawback of Franklin Lakes, no rail and no bus stop...but it does help to keep out the riff raff I mean there is a bus but you'd have to walk to it and in the end you are better off driving to Midland Park. So, your best bet is either taking the 164 from Midland Park that takes about 1:15 or the 148 express from Midland Park which takes about :55. You can also drive to Hawthorne and take the train in which is about :50. (I suggest Hawthorne because there is more parking available on the streets than in other towns close by). I also know a few people that do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 04:36 PM
 
5 posts, read 37,539 times
Reputation: 16
What is wrong with taking the Coach bus stop at Pulia and Franklin Ave (VFW)?

The website says it is a park and ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
87,771 posts, read 83,479,359 times
Reputation: 113786
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
The big drawback of Franklin Lakes, no rail and no bus stop...but it does help to keep out the riff raff I mean there is a bus but you'd have to walk to it and in the end you are better off driving to Midland Park. So, your best bet is either taking the 164 from Midland Park that takes about 1:15 or the 148 express from Midland Park which takes about :55. You can also drive to Hawthorne and take the train in which is about :50. (I suggest Hawthorne because there is more parking available on the streets than in other towns close by). I also know a few people that do this.
Just a warning on the Hawthorne train parking--there are certain streets you can park on for the train, but you need a permit. When I lived in Hawthorne briefly in 2009, the resident parking permit was $2 per year. The non-resident parking permit was $600.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 AM
 
2,535 posts, read 6,628,563 times
Reputation: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just a warning on the Hawthorne train parking--there are certain streets you can park on for the train, but you need a permit. When I lived in Hawthorne briefly in 2009, the resident parking permit was $2 per year. The non-resident parking permit was $600.
That is true, but there is a lot of parking designated for non residents all along Grand Ave( basically the entire side of the street all the way up to Diamond Bridge). You are right about the fee it is $600 annually... I just figured if you are living in Franklin Lakes you could afford it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 11:13 AM
 
2,535 posts, read 6,628,563 times
Reputation: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
That is true, but there is a lot of parking designated for non residents all along Grand Ave( basically the entire side of the street all the way up to Diamond Bridge). You are right about the fee it is $600 annually... I just figured if you are living in Franklin Lakes you could afford it
Also regarding the Coach USA bus, the guy I rid the train with says that lot fills up really fast (there are only about 100 spots.) So I'd scope that out before committing to that option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
87,771 posts, read 83,479,359 times
Reputation: 113786
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
That is true, but there is a lot of parking designated for non residents all along Grand Ave( basically the entire side of the street all the way up to Diamond Bridge). You are right about the fee it is $600 annually... I just figured if you are living in Franklin Lakes you could afford it
Hahaha, good point! Yes, there was plenty of parking. I didn't realize that until I moved there--I'd come from Midland Park and always took the 164 bus to the Ridgewood train (free with a monthly rail pass).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 PM
 
1,173 posts, read 4,728,129 times
Reputation: 1338
Something else which is a little less conventional is you can drive to the North Bergen park and ride, it's the closest park and ride to the lincoln tunnel and the parking lot is never full during those times.

The upside is you will never be a slave to the schedule as this bus runs every 10 minutes or so during the rush hours (and still very frequent during off hours) it also runs later than most buses back to NJ so if you have a random happy hour or business dinner you don't need to worry.

The downside is it's a 2 step commute so it takes slightly longer. I personally like this because I rather sit in my car by myself with a definite chance of a seat and control of the radio but it's not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top