Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,782,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Wait, maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I thought the 33rd St. line also stops at Christopher St., 14th or something, and a couple of other stops.
It does and its called the 33rd-Journal SQ line or the 33rd-Hoboken line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 AM

506 posts, read 1,953,058 times
Thanks for the tips and maps and clarifications; super helpful. I will go to the end of the platform and hopefully find the PATH today on my way home. I go to 60th and 5th. Not sure if there's a more efficient route from Downtown Hoboken than the one I'm taking?

The weather is great right now, so I'm exploring, but I want to have the underground part downpat before the winter hits full on!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:45 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,238,002 times
No, you're doing the best commute pattern I can think of. Unless you live in Uptown Hoboken (and therefore have a schlep just to get to Hoboken Terminal). In that case, it may be faster to take one of the buses to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and transfer to NYC subway there (either the E to 53rd St/5th Ave or walk underground to Times Square for the NQR to 59th/5th).

It may be worth trying one day just to see if it's any better for you.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,352,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikita. View Post
Hahah! I was wondering about that.

My trip back was a bit more eventful than my trip to work. I can't seem to figure out where the PATH station is when getting off the downtown NQR trains. I ended up walking outside about 2 streets and going back down. This must be wrong though, considering I was able to do it on the way in.

eventually you'll know exactly which subway car you want to get on each way. it comes with a few weeks practice.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
eventually you'll know exactly which subway car you want to get on each way. it comes with a few weeks practice.
Looking forward to that day. I look at the people who get off the car and up the stairs in the right direction in envy. Meanwhile I try to sneak peaks at signs without looking too hopelessly out of place.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,022,240 times
Quote:
Looking forward to that day. I look at the people who get off the car and up the stairs in the right direction in envy. Meanwhile I try to sneak peaks at signs without looking too hopelessly out of place.
Ha don't worry it comes quick enough. Maybe try making the trip not during rush hour when it's a little less hectic at that station? Nothing wrong with looking hopelessly out of place while you're getting the hang of it all, you're in a tourist central second only to Times Sq, so plenty of folks are standin around trying to figure it all out.

You'll get it though, lining up which car will provide the easiest transfers will pay off in precious minutes soon enough!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:13 PM

You guys were an awesome help for my trip home today. THANK YOU I found the entrance to the PATH at Herald Square which was definitely a huge checkmark. I need to make sure I can remember that, and also start exiting at 60th and 5th (Both mornings I exited at Central Park S, which is beautiful, but once the weather is not in my favor (ex: tomorrow's rain), I need to get this straightened out.)

So... I've decided my very short term goal is to start at least turning the right way out of the subway car towards the stairs and exit I want. Following that, I will focus on figuring out which car is most convenient for where I need to go.

Baby steps

Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Ha don't worry it comes quick enough. Maybe try making the trip not during rush hour when it's a little less hectic at that station? Nothing wrong with looking hopelessly out of place while you're getting the hang of it all, you're in a tourist central second only to Times Sq, so plenty of folks are standin around trying to figure it all out.

You'll get it though, lining up which car will provide the easiest transfers will pay off in precious minutes soon enough!
Yes, I definitely feel less all over the place when I see some of the tourists hopelessly wandering around too. One day, I will help them get around and answer questions on here for others getting lost!!!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:20 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Wait, maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I thought the 33rd St. line also stops at Christopher St., 14th or something, and a couple of other stops.
Yes, they do. 33rd and WTC are the terminal destinations. 33rd also stops at Christopher, 9th, 14th and 23rd. WTC stops at Pavonia/now called Newport and Exchange Place.

The OP wanted to know which train to take in Hoboken. Her choices are the one that says "33rd" or the one that says "WTC".

Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,022,240 times
Quote:
Yes, I definitely feel less all over the place when I see some of the tourists hopelessly wandering around too. One day, I will help them get around and answer questions on here for others getting lost!!!
Also if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, I STRONGLY recommend downloading the iTransNYC app. It's about $4, but it is very much worth it. It gives you great updated service disruptions, you can plug in a point A to point B subway routing, it's train schedules are pretty accurate (well, it's the actual schedule, the trains showing up on time is another story...) And one of it's coolest features is the neighborhood maps, which you see near the stairs to the street at stations. For each station, you can download the detailed neighborhood map that will show you were all the entrances/exits to the street there are for the stations. Will certainly help planning out which entrance is the one you want to use and where to wait on the platform to line it up.

iTrans: Transit Systems in Your Pocket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey