Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 06:53 PM

506 posts, read 1,951,316 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I feel incredibly dumb asking this question, but I'm struggling to find this through google.

I've just moved to Hoboken and start a new job tomorrow. As part of my commute I need to go from the Hoboken PATH station to 33rd Street, then transfer. This leads me to 2 questions:

1) The few times I went in the Hoboken PATH, I never seemed to find platform names/ signs. How do I find where the 33rd Street platform is?

2) Does 33rd street PATH and 34th Str/ Herald Square connect underground? Or do I need to walk above ground to get to the NQR lines?

Again... new to the area here, and feeling not so smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 07:14 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikita. View Post
Hi Guys,

I feel incredibly dumb asking this question, but I'm struggling to find this through google.

I've just moved to Hoboken and start a new job tomorrow. As part of my commute I need to go from the Hoboken PATH station to 33rd Street, then transfer. This leads me to 2 questions:

1) The few times I went in the Hoboken PATH, I never seemed to find platform names/ signs. How do I find where the 33rd Street platform is?

2) Does 33rd street PATH and 34th Str/ Herald Square connect underground? Or do I need to walk above ground to get to the NQR lines?

Again... new to the area here, and feeling not so smart.
The PATH trains from Hoboken only go to two destinations--the World Trade Center or 33rd Street. The PATH destination signs are not found on the platforms, because the platform may vary. Look on the TRAIN to see which one it is. However, generally speaking, Tracks 1 and 2 are going to 33rd and Track 3 is going to WTC. Sometimes they trick you and a WTC train comes in on the middle track (2), so just make sure you look at the sign on the trains themselves, usually over the door. Also the conductor should announce it before they leave, and you can always stick your head in a door and say, "Hey, is this the train to 33rd Street?" and someone will answer you.

As to the second question, I THINK they do, but I'm not 100% sure which trains connect there. I know when you get off of PATH, you do have some MTA subway choices, but I'm not sure which ones they are exactly.

Give yourself plenty of time so you can read signs and ask if need be. Don't worry about not feeling smart, after a few days you'll be a pro. One thing about NYC, you can always ask for directions. People are used to that because of all the tourists and out-of-towners, and even people who have lived in the area forever don't know everything and must ask from time to time. It's perfectly normal. Good luck with the new job!

Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Thank you thank you thank you! You just saved me from tossing and turning and worrying about this tonight. I'm definitely giving myself an obnoxious amount of time to get there, but feeling semi-prepared helps!

Old 10-09-2011, 07:19 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,018,414 times
33rd St bound trains are generally on the center track in Hoboken. And yes it connects to Herald Sq NYC Subway station. Just keep walking forward when you exit the train and the connection is to the left. Pretty much follow where the flow of most people are going.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Thank you thank you thank you! You just saved me from tossing and turning and worrying about this tonight. I'm definitely giving myself an obnoxious amount of time to get there, but feeling semi-prepared helps!
Sleep well. I've been commuting to the city for 32 years, but I still remember being 20 years old and taking a bus in the first day of working there and riding down the escalator into the PA Bus Terminal thinking "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HERE? I DON'T KNOW WHERE I'M GOING!!!!"

Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,931,342 times
Don't feel afraid to ask someone too...most are happy to help out

Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 PM

Thanks guy! Very very grateful. Can't wait till I'm pro.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,746,347 times
Quote:
Thanks guy! Very very grateful. Can't wait till I'm pro.
The PATH is easy to master , the Subway is a bit of a challenge , and forgetableit on the weekends. All your learning goes out the doors , as the system is turned on its head.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:18 PM

390 posts, read 1,361,881 times
Just make sure the train you're getting on says 33RD on it, not WTC. 33RD St will usually be on the left or center tracks (if you're coming down the "main" stairs past the fruit stand from the NJ Transit trains).

I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that you can connect to many subway lines at the 33rd street station by walking underground. You WILL need to pay again to enter the NYC Subway.

A few times and you'll get the hang of it.

Hint: If you have an iphone, download the "CityTransit" app from the iTunes store. It's basically a subway map on your phone, and you don't need internet connection to use it. It'll be a life saver when you're starting off.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 PM

Come back tomorrow and let us know how it went!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey