Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:15 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
What about Morris County?

Depending what part you pick, you can get some qualities of Bergen and Sussex.
yes, I think of Morris County as a "transitional" place - the eastern parts are strongly reminiscent of Bergen, while you get more "Sussex-like" the further west you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 12:07 PM

20 posts, read 52,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Sheralyn, yes it is a shocker, I was a little disappointed too. Now it is not all of Sussex County, but it is in some parts, I think it may be the younger generation but they learn it from the older generation so who is to blame? The problem is worse is PA, they have a big skin head population. I have openly seen newspapers and fliers. These kids are just plain angry. I was shocked also. She needs to do her homework if she picks a town in Sussex County, just like Bergen, some are great and some you may regret. Maybe a good town for a compromise between husband who wants woods, and her who wants action would be Mahwah, RIngwood????

Skinheads -- despicable! Didn't know there are a lot of them in PA. Years ago, my son worked in Newton ShopRite and actually quit because they hired a couple of skinheads. They are very hateful people, so VICIOUS. Speaking of Mahwah, that reminded me of the Victoria Zielinski murder circa '58; do you remember that? Killer was Edgar H. Smith; I believe he finally died in prison not so long ago. That was such a sad case. Sorry, I got off topic there...

Old 09-28-2007, 08:17 PM

22 posts, read 61,318 times
Have to add my thoughts here. I grew up in Ocean County, and moved to Bergen County in 1999 to be with my now husband. Bergen County was nice but the traffic was horrible and people were snobby.
Moved to Sussex in 2003 and love it. The people are more down to Earth and getting errands done on a Saturday is a snap. We love it. We're close to PA and still not too far from NYC. I've never come across a Skinhead or KKK member. Love the lake, the fact that there is so much to do out here and we have been partaking in local town activities and everyone makes us always feel welcomed. I've never felt more involved in a community till I moved here.
If traffic is a problem to you though then yeah you you will be sitting in it. I hate to end my post on a down note but Route 80= time sucker

Old 09-28-2007, 08:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
I just have to second Jen above. Rte. 80 really is a time-sucker. For an interstate, that sucker sure is backed up a lot.

I can't give you a Bergen v. Sussex recommendation because frankly, I loved them both. It's true that they are very different, and I have to admit there is more of a "Manhattan Light" attitude in Bergen. I guess it's all in what you're looking for. Good luck in your decision--I really think you'll be happy either way.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:03 AM

223 posts, read 795,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc0715 View Post
Hi all,
My husband and I are in the process of looking for a home to raise our family. We are looking for a 3+ bedroom home with a decent amount of property in a family oriented town with good schools and low crime rate.

My husband grew up in Sussex County and would prefer to move out there. I know we can find what we want in Sussex. However, I prefer Bergen County. The commute to work for us is under 30 minutes and the towns are more diverse. Being a multi-racial couple, I would like our family to feel safe.

We would like to hear all comments (good and bad) on the towns in these two counties. Let me know any specific cities you suggest we look into. Also, we welcome comments of other counties as well.

Thanks.
let's not make bergen county out to be so inviting to inter-racial couples. my brother (white) is married to a jamaican woman and received several anonymous letters on his car from neighbors to scram...which he eventually did.

neighborhoods most likely to frown upon inter-racial couples moving into their neighborhood:

Ridgewood
Mahwah
Paramus
Wycoff
Saddle River/Upper
Rutherford
Wood-Ridge

you are mostly likely to see inter-racial couples in MONTCLAIR, BLOOMFIELD, and SOUTH ORANGE, but not Upper Montclair and probably not West Orange.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:25 PM

32 posts, read 126,739 times
Thanks all for the feedback. We decided not to look at any homes in Sussex mainly due to the long commute. We are also looking in Morris county (i.e. Madison, Florham Park) and actually saw a house in West Orange that we liked.

I will continue to do some research, thanks.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:44 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,739 times
Default Too much generalizing

on here. Mixed people should avoid West Orange? That is overboard. Also, youth with shaved heads are not all skinheads.
Another lame stencil.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
OMG...I lived all over northeastern, central, norwestern and western NJ for nearly four decades and I NEVER once saw a skinhead.

I mean not even just a person with a shaved head, much less somebody I could identify as "a" skinhead in principle and practice.

Where on earth are you guys seeing all these "dangerous" folk milling about?????????????

There was something similar on the L.A. board not long ago, crying out for people to beware of aaaaaaaaaall the skinheads and I was like, "WHERE?" I honestly asked "where" just so I'd know where not to go--and the one and only answer I got was a copied and pasted picture...of a prison.

Um, big help, thanks, guys.

I'm not downplaying the existence of skinheads in general, they must be somewhere, but to warn people against them and claim that neighbors are sending letters to interracial couples telling them to get out???? For the love of ham. If that ever happened...it surely was the exception and not the rule. Again...I state this not as an innocent who wants to believe the best of people (you all here know THAT couldn't possibly be true) but just as somebody who never, in 38 years, actually saw ANYone fitting the descriptions people are claiming here, and never ever knew or even knew of anyone who was told to get out because of color.

It must exist...to an extent...but a "beware" against Bergen County for this as if it's epidemic or something is practically laughable.

Shame on you peeps, scaring the newcomers again.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:49 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
OMG...I lived all over northeastern, central, norwestern and western NJ for nearly four decades and I NEVER once saw a skinhead.

I mean not even just a person with a shaved head, much less somebody I could identify as "a" skinhead in principle and practice.

Where on earth are you guys seeing all these "dangerous" folk milling about?????????????

There was something similar on the L.A. board not long ago, crying out for people to beware of aaaaaaaaaall the skinheads and I was like, "WHERE?" I honestly asked "where" just so I'd know where not to go--and the one and only answer I got was a copied and pasted picture...of a prison.

Um, big help, thanks, guys.

I'm not downplaying the existence of skinheads in general, they must be somewhere, but to warn people against them and claim that neighbors are sending letters to interracial couples telling them to get out???? For the love of ham. If that ever happened...it surely was the exception and not the rule. Again...I state this not as an innocent who wants to believe the best of people (you all here know THAT couldn't possibly be true) but just as somebody who never, in 38 years, actually saw ANYone fitting the descriptions people are claiming here, and never ever knew or even knew of anyone who was told to get out because of color.

It must exist...to an extent...but a "beware" against Bergen County for this as if it's epidemic or something is practically laughable.

Shame on you peeps, scaring the newcomers again.
Wow! I had the same reaction. I've lived in both Bergen and Sussex counties. NEVER saw a skinhead! Totally baffled by that remark!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:55 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Wow! I had the same reaction. I've lived in both Bergen and Sussex counties. NEVER saw a skinhead! Totally baffled by that remark!
Ditto! Been here all my life, all over the flippin' place, I've been mugged and chased, but have never seen a skinhead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey