Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 PM

69 posts, read 222,226 times

Advertisements

I am exploring various places to move in NJ with good schools and good commute to New York. Can you please make some suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 PM

90 posts, read 184,416 times
Millburn, Livingston, Summit, Ridgewood, Northern Highlands Regional (Bergen Co), West Essex, Glen Ridge, Westfield, New Providence...

This is just a partial list.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM

41 posts, read 128,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownorbust View Post
Millburn, Livingston, Summit, Ridgewood, Northern Highlands Regional (Bergen Co), West Essex, Glen Ridge, Westfield, New Providence...

This is just a partial list.
Agreed... this list is nearly endless.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 PM

390 posts, read 1,361,960 times
Montclair's satellite school system has always fascinated me. Kids choosing what their focus is with their parents starting in middle school (ie: math/science, liberal arts, performing arts, etc).

But yeah, it's probably much easier, and much much shorter to make a list of school districts you should avoid in Northern NJ, rather than the other way around.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,733,643 times
Let's throw budget in the mix as well, yes everybody agrees Millburn, Ridgewood, Westfield etc. all have the best school districts in the state (a state full of excellent school systems!) but you have to be able to afford living there, and not everybody can do that.

OP what's your housing budget?

ETA: Also I wanted to point you in the direction of two websites that rank school districts and also give you lots of specifc information about the student body and the teachers. I know you are looking for special services and I don't think the website goes too indepth on that specifically but it will give you a feel for the overall school district. Schooldigger.com and greatschools.com

And for what it's worth I think you are making the right choice moving out of JC! Even without special needs that is not the best school system.

Last edited by icibiu; 10-11-2011 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: added information

Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,637,945 times
Greatschools and Schooldigger are great resources for Elementary schools especially since most towns have at least 2 Elementary schools. Finding the right area of town to move into is key. This is less important in areas like Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Millburn, Livingston,Summit,etc where all schools are going to rate very well. However in areas like Bloomfield or even my town, Hawthorne, the right area can mean the difference between an average or below average school and a top tier school.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:20 PM

205 posts, read 690,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownorbust View Post
Just to clarify what Northern Highlands Regional means in terms of elementary schools, this covers the elementary schools in Allendale, Saddle River, Upper Saddle River and Ho-Ho-Kus.

In Bergen County, I would also include Wyckoff schools.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:09 PM

69 posts, read 222,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Let's throw budget in the mix as well, yes everybody agrees Millburn, Ridgewood, Westfield etc. all have the best school districts in the state (a state full of excellent school systems!) but you have to be able to afford living there, and not everybody can do that.

OP what's your housing budget?

ETA: Also I wanted to point you in the direction of two websites that rank school districts and also give you lots of specifc information about the student body and the teachers. I know you are looking for special services and I don't think the website goes too indepth on that specifically but it will give you a feel for the overall school district. Schooldigger.com and greatschools.com

And for what it's worth I think you are making the right choice moving out of JC! Even without special needs that is not the best school system.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Old 10-16-2011, 07:45 AM

807 posts, read 1,026,226 times
Any place that it's expensive to live.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,294,212 times
If you are coming from out of state you will find that most all the schools in NJ are good.

If your child is an C student they will not become an A student when you move to the "best school system"

Every year there are kids from the inner city going to the best universities in the country. Not because of the schools they attended but because they had parents that knew the value of an education.

The best education starts at home, not in the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey