Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 12:02 PM

107 posts, read 201,367 times

Advertisements

I was looking around at apartments in Central NJ, which included Rentals, Condos and Townhouses. I came across one that said it had a swimming pool, common area, basketball courts. It sounded interesting so I went to the area to look around and when I got there, all I saw was the complex. There was nothing else there! How can you advertise something when it isn't true? I really was looking forward to looking at all of this and it was a big let down when I did not see anything. It is in East Brunswick, NJ. Not a nice thing to do people. It's bad enough that we can't trust people now we can't trust words that are put on the internet. They try to lure you whichever way they can-NOT COOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,645,452 times
This is actually a huge business in the NY Metro area. Fake apartments that are really just fishing scams to get bank information and wire transfers to secure imaginary places. These listings can have pictures and seem very real. Always proceed with caution when using C-list.

While your's just sounds like a little bit of creative marketing(there is probably a community park close by with those amenities or something like that) it sucks nonetheless.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:33 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,734,675 times
When I was looking recently I received a TON of response emails asking for information to do credit checks and background checks before even meeting or looking at the property. None of them liked the fact that I called them on their scheme and turned them down flat. Even had one lady send me a TON of photos spoke on the phone, but refused to give me the address unless I gave her my info. One that did provide an address turned out to be bogus as well. Google Maps brought up the street but no house. A quick drive by and that house number didint exist at all.

Be carefull out there.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:59 PM

124 posts, read 174,154 times
My question exactly. My new place was such a disappointment that I became depressed after a couple of months. Over the internet is how I found this place with the application, screening and signing of the lease all done over the internet. Well, when I did visit the complex, I thought well it is older than I expected and the apartment was on the third floor which I thought I had selected the first but all of this, I thought I could deal with. After the ice storm and cold weather was over, I ventured out into my new neighborhood. It took less than one month to realize it was not a luxury apartment complex as advertised, (mind you the rent is high, I actually thought some of the units were section 8 and there is some overcrowding of people and cars in some units). It was nothing like advertised, absolutely everything was a lie with the sparkling pool (constantly occupied by the same people until it was too dirty to use) and exercise room, grills forget about it. Unsupervised kids everywhere looking like gangs. Damage to your car. The only thing missing is graffitti. Some of the young people (early twenties) downright nasty. You can't venture onto the street after a certain hour, people getting robbed and beaten up. This is suppose to be a really nice location go figure. There should be some clause legally for renters. What I did realize is that I have to raise my credit score and income to afford the "luxury" apartment I'm looking for.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:01 PM

861 posts, read 1,120,798 times
false advertising should be a crime...

Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 PM

95 posts, read 527,019 times
"Be carefull out there" Solid advice RobRiguez!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:05 PM

831 posts, read 2,819,159 times
Wow that's awful.
Don't know how you didn't see that prior though. I feel really bad when someone gets stuck in a section 8 place.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:07 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,986,953 times
C'mon guys, you have to do your due diligence. I would never move into an apartment complex without completely inspecting every nook and cranny, and then interviewing at least 5 residents in my building. This is just basic. You are going to live there. You don't just look at Internet pictures. You have to go there and touch and feel and talk and inspect and investigate. There's no way the average type of resident or the existence of amenities or the condition of the laundry room or pool should be a surprise once you move in. You should have checked all that out before even looking at the lease.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 PM

124 posts, read 174,154 times
My apartment is very nice, the office of course is very nice and certain areas close by are nice probably once was quite beautiful. I did half diligence. It was in January that I moved so the pool/grill issue could not be inspected for summer use. Hoards of Kids were not out in January. I did use apartmentratings in which the last SIX recent ratings were decent and the rating for the apartment was good. I did not access the crime report information that I know I should have done. After move in, some of the prior residents wrote in giving details of their experience (which were negative) because in January there was a shooting between two tenants. BUT this was after the fact. For the next couple of months it only got worse. I do have to say, there have been some improvements with the privacy gates now operating and they did some cosmetic work on the property as well as some of the people moved or were evicted. And police presence has definitely increased. I AGREE you do have to work at finding the ideal place. I relied only on the fact that I was unfamiliar with the area and used only internet sources to assess this place as it was quite a distance.

Last edited by lotsoflov1232; 10-11-2011 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 03:13 PM

831 posts, read 2,819,159 times
Wow I feel really bad for you, I guess you were just unlucky and got a crappy deal. Moving in Jan. is the worse, it's always best to try for summer, that's when peoples true colors show.

Looks like you've been there for a few months, so hopefully you can stick it out and get a new place once your lease runs out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey