Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 AM

50,489 posts, read 36,145,160 times

Advertisements

"In some ways, I envy today's seniors. They get nice healthcare and a COLA on the SS checks."

Not all seniors get great health care. My mother and many others can't afford a supplemental policy which is necessary with Medicare so has a Medicare Advantage Plan (HMO). It is very restrictive, and after her recent hospitalization and rehab ended up with about $6000 in co-pays. She can't live alone anymore but is too (relatively) young and healthy for a nursing home. She worked hard all her life and saved as much as she could raising 2 kids alone, to end up with a $1000 a month SS check and $400 a month pension. Too little for the $4000 a month or so for assisted living, but too much for subsidized aides. Not complaining, it is the way it is, just wanted to correct any misconceptions that seniors are all on some kind of gravy train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 08:31 AM

11,318 posts, read 16,638,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
"In some ways, I envy today's seniors. They get nice healthcare and a COLA on the SS checks."

Not all seniors get great health care. My mother and many others can't afford a supplemental policy which is necessary with Medicare so has a Medicare Advantage Plan (HMO). It is very restrictive, and after her recent hospitalization and rehab ended up with about $6000 in co-pays. She can't live alone anymore but is too (relatively) young and healthy for a nursing home. She worked hard all her life and saved as much as she could raising 2 kids alone, to end up with a $1000 a month SS check and $400 a month pension. Too little for the $4000 a month or so for assisted living, but too much for subsidized aides. Not complaining, it is the way it is, just wanted to correct any misconceptions that seniors are all on some kind of gravy train.
Yeah right, I don't think SS had a COLA in a few years and when they do get it...maybe 2%.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,943,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
That story is horrible. There are obviously exceptions to every rule and they should have let them stay until they could find another place. My God, they lost their child. Give these poor people time to grieve and adjust.

I can't speak for the others but what I am talking about is an adult community for those 30 and older with NO children allowed. I don't necessarily want to live among the elderly, but I want a community somewhere that has peace and quiet with no little kids screaming and running around and no teenagers causing trouble. I'm not even talking about the reduced pricing (which would be nice but I completely understand why it's necessary for the elderly). I just like my environment very quiet.
sorry that doesn't exist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey