Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 PM

244 posts, read 595,694 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving there. We are definitely going to visit and become more familiar with the area. I've heard there is a large Indian population there, specifically in The Monroe Manor community.- true? Also how are the schools? Commute to NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 AM

55 posts, read 355,261 times
I live in Monroe, and I wouldn't say there is a large Indian population in Monroe Manor or anywhere else in the Township.

I am not familiar with the school system itself, but we just opened a new high school and the old high school is now the middle school.

There is a lot of open space and farm land, certainly not overdeveloped. There is a park and ride facility on Applegarth Rd., I'm assuming for the bus ride to NYC. Turnpike exits 8 and 8A are right here, and it's a 30 minute ride to the Ocean Grove area of the shore.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,726,241 times
Not sure how accurate this is, but here's info from wikipedia and the link it came from:

"The racial makeup of the township was 93.31% White, 2.93% African American, 0.06% Native American, 2.34% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 0.68% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.38% of the population."

Monroe Township, Middlesex County, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-18-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Not sure how accurate this is, but here's info from wikipedia and the link it came from:

"The racial makeup of the township was 93.31% White, 2.93% African American, 0.06% Native American, 2.34% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 0.68% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.38% of the population."

Monroe Township, Middlesex County, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I looked at this too. This doesn't break out the Indian population though. Specifically when we went to look at Monroe Manor and Stratford, most all of the families we saw were Indian.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,011,913 times
Maybe the 2.34% of the population was all concentrated to the area you were looking in.

In all seriousness, that sounds a bit low for this area, since this is a mecca for new Indian-Americans. I know it makes up at least 15% of my town's population.

Besides that, if you like soulless McMansions and do not have a problem with senior citizens making up more than half your community's population, the school district is very good and the taxes are among the lowest in the area. I would say you really cannot go wrong with it.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,676,195 times
I agree, Monroe's a great town (and I would have bought there if I could have afforded it).

I'm not sure why an Indian community would be a problem, but comparatively speaking to South Brunswick, East Windsor, East Brunswick (all surrounding towns) the Indian community is relatively small.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
I agree, Monroe's a great town (and I would have bought there if I could have afforded it).

I'm not sure why an Indian community would be a problem, but comparatively speaking to South Brunswick, East Windsor, East Brunswick (all surrounding towns) the Indian community is relatively small.
Not a problem! It just happened that every family we say when looking at Stratford was Indian so I was curious if this was indicative of the whole town.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:15 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,676,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren810g View Post
Not a problem! It just happened that every family we say when looking at Stratford was Indian so I was curious if this was indicative of the whole town.
No. Monroe has a nice mix of demographics. I wouldn't be concerned. It's a nice town to start and have your family in.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:42 AM

9,005 posts, read 13,758,369 times
Hey,I thought Monroe township was in Gloucester County?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:54 PM

201 posts, read 616,992 times
No, that's a different monroe township. we're talking about monroe in middlesex county. but anyway monroe has always been a lot of farm land and the farmers never used to sell their part of their land to developers only until recently. Thats why the asian population never really moved in because the houses were old and not as spacious compared to other towns. The byrne family (pop's market) and the scotto family have recently sold substantial portion of their farm land to developers this decade. Thats why your seeing newer developments spring all over town and asians are slowly but surely growing in monroe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey