Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 05:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,357,874 times

Advertisements

Vinyl is the best when it comes to maintenance. There is none. It lasts longest and is cheap. The prob here are the row houses you see with different colors. Its not the siding, rather the neighborhood and types of homes that you are looking at. A stand alone house with vinyl siding looks fine. Give me vinyl anyday so I dont need to replace or maintain it. and ofcourse in a nice looking house to begin with,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 05:55 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,029,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Vinyl is the best when it comes to maintenance. There is none. It lasts longest and is cheap. The prob here are the row houses you see with different colors. Its not the siding, rather the neighborhood and types of homes that you are looking at. A stand alone house with vinyl siding looks fine. Give me vinyl anyday so I dont need to replace or maintain it. and ofcourse in a nice looking house to begin with,.
This is the reality.

Most of the row houses around North Jersey and in the cities have dated architectural styles that were not intended to have any type of siding affixed to them. The proper exterior covering for most of these would have been brick, brownstone, or even a cement veneer.

If anyone is interested in quality information about row houses, I would recommend a publication put out by the Planning Department of the city of Philadelphia. You can find it at http://www.philaplanning.org/pubinfo/rowhousemanual.pdf (broken link)

Unfortunately, however, most row houses are quite expensive to maintain on the outside and vinyl siding is the cheapest option for people.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:56 PM

7,049 posts, read 19,203,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I tend to prefer buildings made of natural materials such as wood or stone or brick. We've become a world made out of plastic.

But, alas, I live in a cheesily-built condo with mint-green vinyl siding. I do have brick on the front of my unit.
I agree. Vinyl on almost any house makes me say "ick." It looks "cheap" to me. I say that as a renter in a building covered in green vinyl siding on a block full of red brick and brown and gray stone rowhouses. I'm in the ugliest building on the block.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:33 PM

595 posts, read 1,548,942 times
you guys are right, it all depends on the architecture.

another perfect example of dated and ugly with siding. it just looks so ghetto! maybe because most of the ghettos have this look..lol

Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,091,117 times
you know what? I know exactly what you're (OP) are talking about. It's that certain kind of vinyl that's often not put on well and you can see a lot of seams between slats. There is a better kind that doesn't look so bad, wher the slats have sort of a flat front and a curving inward top that makes a cleaner look altogether. But the usual stuff can be quite ugly, and like someone else said, it creates a "ghetto" look for an area.
And I'm not even a picky guy, area-wise/look-wise. I'm an anti-NIMBY, pro-urbanism type of guy; I look forward to more industry opening up, hopefully half of it in cities, to bring in jobs. And even I find it ugly.

That and chain-link fences around house yards I don't like. Chain link fences sometimes aren't so bad, but it's always immediately obvious that a fence could look way better than that.

Window AC units though I don't find that ugly. Not as pretty as none and having central, of course. But somehow window AC's just don't stick out as ugly to me. They kind of look like beehives, so they blend in in a weird way.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:32 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,091,117 times
vinyl is least maintenance?

Isn't brick siding better (and yes I'm talking about the single-wythe (or layer) stuff that they do now around framing)? I mean I know it can crack along the grout from settling, and the crack will show, but technically that doesn't reduce functionality unless it's really bad, but that's unlikely to happen. Plus things can hit brick and not break it, which could be an issue with vandalism or just kids playing in the street (baseballs, hockey pucks, etc.)

Old 10-14-2011, 07:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,029,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hate the fake siding, but I think it's here to stay.

What is fake siding? Even though its made of vinyl it is still real.

If you posted that you hate vinyl siding I would understand your post but to say it's fake is not right.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
you guys are right, it all depends on the architecture.

another perfect example of dated and ugly with siding. it just looks so ghetto! maybe because most of the ghettos have this look..lol
The rats' nest of power lines and the cracked bare concrete slab on the ground don't help. If we bury the power lines and break up that concrete with some planting beds up to where the stairs meet the sidewalk, it would look 100 times better. And applying a natural-material facade would make it glorious.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:39 PM

83 posts, read 224,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
The rats' nest of power lines and the cracked bare concrete slab on the ground don't help. If we bury the power lines and break up that concrete with some planting beds up to where the stairs meet the sidewalk, it would look 100 times better. And applying a natural-material facade would make it glorious.
The streets of Europe look a million times better. For the simple reason that all of their power lines are buried. I never understood why we never changed. Think of all the less power failures there would be?
I think vinyl sidings are pretty hideous as well!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks29 View Post
The streets of Europe look a million times better. For the simple reason that all of their power lines are buried. I never understood why we never changed. Think of all the less power failures there would be?
I think vinyl sidings are pretty hideous as well!
I agree. In other states, when an area is newly developed or redeveloped, the power lines go underground. In New Jersey, they often tear up the streets, sidewalks, and earth to build but the pop in above-ground poles and wires again! I don't understand why most people here aren't bothered by this. I don't know if it's a city issue, a developer issue, or a PSE&G issue.

Case in point, this pic attempts to show off new apartments in Jersey City, but looking at the photo I'm distracted by all of those ugly wires!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey