Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,186 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to Montclair, NJ in two weeks (we will be renting)- we are in our mid twenties, no kids, and work in the city. When I first did some research on Montclair I was very excited... but now I'm a bit nervous about safety in the area. We are going to be living on Valley Rd directly west of Walnut St Station. For comparison, right now I live in Linden, NJ. I think some of my nervousness comes from unfamiliarity with Montclair because I doubt Montclair could be less safe than Linden.

Also, was $1,575 a rip off for a two bedroom in that area? We are pretty much a block or two away from Whole Foods...

Any input would be appreciated =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 02:41 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_soon_montclair View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to Montclair, NJ in two weeks (we will be renting)- we are in our mid twenties, no kids, and work in the city. When I first did some research on Montclair I was very excited... but now I'm a bit nervous about safety in the area. We are going to be living on Valley Rd directly west of Walnut St Station. For comparison, right now I live in Linden, NJ. I think some of my nervousness comes from unfamiliarity with Montclair because I doubt Montclair could be less safe than Linden.

Also, was $1,575 a rip off for a two bedroom in that area? We are pretty much a block or two away from Whole Foods...

Any input would be appreciated =)
I use to live in Bergen county, NJ and as I recall Montclair was a very nice area.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:41 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
That's fine. Walnut is great. Restaurants and bars all close by. The only part of Montclair that is "bad" is by the Bay Street station on Mission. Price seems fine for a 2br...unless it's a dump.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:07 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
It's about as safe as anywhere can get. As someone else said, away from Mission St, almost nothing at all happens anywhere else in town. You're in a great location - walking distance to almost everything!

And that price is low for a two bedroom! Welcome and enjoy Montclair. I live here so any questions PM me.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:26 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Yes sounds like a good idea and no it's not a ripoff for that area.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:36 PM

513 posts, read 1,166,846 times
Great area, easy commute, things to do, very convenient to shopping/parks/restaurants, very fair price for a two bedroom. You will love Montclair.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,186 times
Great! I'm definitely wayyy more excited now- last question though. We noticed that on the weekends the train doesn't stop at the Walnut St station and you have to go to the Bay St station... how safe will it be on the weekend coming back from the city and walking back from the Bay St station at night?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
Random violent crime, muggings and that sort of thing, are incredibly rare in Montclair, and the immediate area around the Bay St station is mostly luxury condos. There's lots of activity with all the restaurants and such in town so there's always plenty of people out and about. No reason to feel unsafe, but it is a rather long walk!

DeCamp buses run all weekend, and a lot of people use those on weekends - check out their schedules. I believe they run right down Valley Road.

If you own car you can also park at the Bay St and Glen Ridge stations on the weekends (street parking is free in Glen Ridge by the station on weekends).

Old 10-03-2013, 08:47 PM

78 posts, read 128,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_soon_montclair View Post
We noticed that on the weekends the train doesn't stop at the Walnut St station and you have to go to the Bay St station...
They also only run every 2 hours and those are Hoboken trains, so you'll have to take the PATH or change trains in Newark.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:08 PM

107 posts, read 195,740 times
1,575 seems like a steel for Montclair, you'll love the town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey