Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 AM

728 posts, read 1,964,598 times

Advertisements

I have taken this new position in Manhattan and am trying to piece together my commuting options. I will generally take the train from Radburn/Broadway in Fair Lawn to Penn Station New York.

If I get a monthly train pass can I also use that for the NJ transit bus from Fair Lawn to the Port Authority?

Also, at times I may take the train from Essex county. The easiest station for me to park is at Highland Station in Orange, this would be very early around 6 am on a sunday morning, I keep hearing how dangerous it is to leave my car there, realistically is it a safe option parking there?

Another option is parking at journal square and taking the path, how bad is the traffic getting there at around 6:15/6:20 in the morning.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Driving into Journal SQ and then using the PATH would be a waste of gas and your time. Your better off taking the train from Fair Lawn to Penn Station via Secaucus JCT. But only use the train if your working around 34th street , if your working around 42nd street or North take the Bus.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:07 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I have taken this new position in Manhattan and am trying to piece together my commuting options. I will generally take the train from Radburn/Broadway in Fair Lawn to Penn Station New York.

If I get a monthly train pass can I also use that for the NJ transit bus from Fair Lawn to the Port Authority?

Also, at times I may take the train from Essex county. The easiest station for me to park is at Highland Station in Orange, this would be very early around 6 am on a sunday morning, I keep hearing how dangerous it is to leave my car there, realistically is it a safe option parking there?

Another option is parking at journal square and taking the path, how bad is the traffic getting there at around 6:15/6:20 in the morning.

If you buy a train pass they will always cross-honor on the bus for the same zone.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Orange Station itself would be better, as it has more trains. It's just around the corner anyway. Not sure about safety; I wouldn't leave any valuables visible in my car in any station, though.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Orange Station itself would be better, as it has more trains. It's just around the corner anyway. Not sure about safety; I wouldn't leave any valuables visible in my car in any station, though.
Why would you drive all the way from Bergen county to Orange just to take the train. Thats insanity , Orange from Fair Lawn is at least 45mins by car. Then your further away by train from NYP then you are with Fair Lawn. Factoring in the costs of tolls and gas , it makes no sense to go to Orange or even outside the Northern Railway network. Transferring at Secaucus is so easy and the amount of trains is enough that if you miss one your only waiting 3 mins.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Why would you drive all the way from Bergen county to Orange just to take the train.
I was assuming on the days he was taking the train from Essex County it was because he was _starting_ from there those days.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 AM

728 posts, read 1,964,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Why would you drive all the way from Bergen county to Orange just to take the train. Thats insanity , Orange from Fair Lawn is at least 45mins by car. Then your further away by train from NYP then you are with Fair Lawn. Factoring in the costs of tolls and gas , it makes no sense to go to Orange or even outside the Northern Railway network. Transferring at Secaucus is so easy and the amount of trains is enough that if you miss one your only waiting 3 mins.
Thank you for all your guys help. Theres time where I will be going from West Orange, I obviously wouldn't drive from Fair Lawn to Orange to go to nyc lol. The bus zones confuse me, if I have a monthly pass for a train from Radburn to NYC how will that work with zones on the buses?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Thank you for all your guys help. Theres time where I will be going from West Orange, I obviously wouldn't drive from Fair Lawn to Orange to go to nyc lol. The bus zones confuse me, if I have a monthly pass for a train from Radburn to NYC how will that work with zones on the buses?
The number of comparable zones appears on the train ticket. For example, I have a monthly train ticket from Little Silver to Hoboken. On that ticket is a small square and inside it says "11 Bus Zones". Obviously, it will be fewer zones from Radburn since it's a shorter trip, but I'm not sure exactly how many it is. It might be on the NJTransit.com website, or a ticket agent could answer that question.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:27 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:

where would you park for Highland? They only have a dropoff area near there. I live 1 mile away from highland, and though it is not "nice" down there, I've never really seen any issues during the day. You could probably park up the hill a little bit on the street (follow posted signs though), and walk down

Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
You could park for free in South Orange behind the SOPAC, but if a station has a lot your car is at risk regardless of where you park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey