Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:24 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,565,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
true but even though the commute is longer that is due to distance. And transit is still rampant there
Yes exactly. There are tons of buses running trough Bayonne pretty much all day long, but like you said it is geographically further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 09:20 AM

391 posts, read 1,245,729 times
UPDATE:

Hey guys, I might be taking a job down by WTC. So how long is the commute from Bayonne then? My only concern is hanging out in the city on weekends and having to go home to Bayonne late at night since the light rail doesn't run 24/7. Anyone know approx cab fares from hoboken path station? Is it a hassle?

And I have been told to avoid the journal square area, people say its not the safest place to be coming home late at night.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,782,631 times
You don't go to the Hoboken PATH , you go to Exchange Place which is 25-30mins , they do have Bayonne Flyers which skipped all the minor Jersey City stops. The PATH ride from Exchange Place to the WTC is about 3-6mins and the walk to the Wall Street or South Ferry area is 15-20mins.... So overall from Bayonne its not a bad commute. The Light Rail runs from 5am-2am , which is plenty of time for most people. I think the bus runs 24/7 although i'm not sure...

Old 10-22-2011, 02:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,101,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You don't go to the Hoboken PATH , you go to Exchange Place which is 25-30mins , they do have Bayonne Flyers which skipped all the minor Jersey City stops. The PATH ride from Exchange Place to the WTC is about 3-6mins and the walk to the Wall Street or South Ferry area is 15-20mins.... So overall from Bayonne its not a bad commute. The Light Rail runs from 5am-2am , which is plenty of time for most people. I think the bus runs 24/7 although i'm not sure...
The bus runs 24/7, but it's all the way up at the Port Authority Bus Terminal (and it runs every 2 hours overnight): http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...1099Ssched.pdf

I believe there are jitneys along JFK Blvd from the PABT that run all night, but I don't know much about those.

As far as Exchange Place vs. Hoboken, I'm not sure how easy it is to get a taxi at Hoboken (though if it is around the time of the last HBLR train, getting off at Exchange Place rather than Hoboken can mean the difference between catching the train and missing it).

Old 09-25-2014, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,041 times
I moved to Bayonne from out of state, and work near Columbus Circle. The ride into work (45th Street Light Rail to Exchange Place, Path to WTC and then 2/3 to 42nd, 1 to 59th) usually takes about an hour unless there are train delays (i.e., light rail, and Path). Someone posted earlier about how much time is actually spent on the trains versus getting between trains. For me it is an 8 minute walk to the Light Rail, 11-14 minute Light Rail Ride (depending on if you catch the Bayonne Flyer) 5 minutes down to the Path track at Exchange (unless the elevators aren't working properly) 2-5 minute wait for the Path, 4 minutes on the Path, 10 minute walk to the 2/3 at Chambers, 2-5 minutes for the train than 14-20 minutes on the MTA).

Going home it can take 1.5 to 2.0 hours over all. Mostly because of the Light Rail which starts running infrequently after rush hour. Once the 7:51 PM train to 8th street leaves Exchange, you have trains only at 8:14, 8:44, 9:14, 9:44, 10:14 10:44 etc. A real hassle late at night and in the winter. If I head home straight from work (leave by 6PM) I'm never home before 7:30ish... If you leave NY after dinner or a show, you really have to know when the Light Rail and Path Trains operate so you can hopefully minimize the awful waits at night. Missing a Light rail by 1 minute and waiting 30 minutes more for the next one is nothing anyone wants to do.

I have a LOT of space, in a safe area, with my car parked on the street for a decent-ish price. The commute home however is a complete drag and won't be easy to endure forever. By the way, taxi service from Exchange Place to Bayonne has cost me $35-45 in the past (seriously!?!?!) and I'm planning to research those Jitney's someone else mentioned.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:11 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,647,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msitgal View Post
I moved to Bayonne from out of state, and work near Columbus Circle. The ride into work (45th Street Light Rail to Exchange Place, Path to WTC and then 2/3 to 42nd, 1 to 59th) usually takes about an hour unless there are train delays (i.e., light rail, and Path). Someone posted earlier about how much time is actually spent on the trains versus getting between trains. For me it is an 8 minute walk to the Light Rail, 11-14 minute Light Rail Ride (depending on if you catch the Bayonne Flyer) 5 minutes down to the Path track at Exchange (unless the elevators aren't working properly) 2-5 minute wait for the Path, 4 minutes on the Path, 10 minute walk to the 2/3 at Chambers, 2-5 minutes for the train than 14-20 minutes on the MTA).

Going home it can take 1.5 to 2.0 hours over all. Mostly because of the Light Rail which starts running infrequently after rush hour. Once the 7:51 PM train to 8th street leaves Exchange, you have trains only at 8:14, 8:44, 9:14, 9:44, 10:14 10:44 etc. A real hassle late at night and in the winter. If I head home straight from work (leave by 6PM) I'm never home before 7:30ish... If you leave NY after dinner or a show, you really have to know when the Light Rail and Path Trains operate so you can hopefully minimize the awful waits at night. Missing a Light rail by 1 minute and waiting 30 minutes more for the next one is nothing anyone wants to do.

I have a LOT of space, in a safe area, with my car parked on the street for a decent-ish price. The commute home however is a complete drag and won't be easy to endure forever. By the way, taxi service from Exchange Place to Bayonne has cost me $35-45 in the past (seriously!?!?!) and I'm planning to research those Jitney's someone else mentioned.
Wow! That's crazy! I never would have thought the commute was that bad. There has to be a better way to go. I live in Wayne and my house is 23 miles outside the city. If I leave my office at 6, I'm home at 7:15. It seems impossible that something 11 miles outside of midtown could possibly take so long on a consistent basis.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:24 PM

207 posts, read 512,200 times
Routes | Jitney Buses of New Jersey

Old 09-25-2014, 11:36 PM

213 posts, read 347,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Wow! That's crazy! I never would have thought the commute was that bad. There has to be a better way to go. I live in Wayne and my house is 23 miles outside the city. If I leave my office at 6, I'm home at 7:15. It seems impossible that something 11 miles outside of midtown could possibly take so long on a consistent basis.
Before I bought a house in Monroe, I was looking at Jersey city area (specifically Society Hil) and Bayonne (Boatworks). Society hill was ruled out because of school, chromium waste and Greenhill section. Bayonne was ruled out because of no commute advantage other than commute cost (which is offset by high property tax). Monroe is 45 miles from Manhattan. If I catch the 7:05 bus (which is 4 min drive from my place), I am in port authority by 8:11, well before any congestion can develop in Lincoln Tunnel. Of course the convenience comes with a cost of $500 for 20 trips in the bus.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:51 AM

88,224 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
It's the way the geography sits and the same problem that causes most of the commuting headaches in the NYC area--water. Bayonne sits on a long peninsula extending southward, and to get to the city, one has to find their way north to a spot where the water can be crossed.

When I first started working in the city, I had a coworker who lived in Bayonne. I was astounded that it took her an hour to get to work, while it took me an hour and 20 from Ridgewood, 30 miles out.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:39 PM

13 posts, read 17,511 times
Its too bad they never extended the PATH service instead of doing the Light Rail. If they extended the PATH from outside the tunnels and made it connect with Bayonne and North Hudson County, the commute would be far quicker, much less of a hassle and CHEAPER. It would be more or less the same commute from Brooklyn or Queens. The thing that seriously kills the Bayonne commute is the time spent between transportation.

And youre damned if you miss a train or bus by a minute, it can literally screw up your entire commute. You have to always give yourself 15 minutes of leeway in case of that bus that is either running late... or early. I will credit the Light Rail for always being on time. The only problem is the Light Rail and the PATH are suppose to link up, but too often the PATH leaves the station before you can make that hussle from the Light Rail station to the PATH station. Or vice versa when traveling home. It sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey