Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,094,074 times

Advertisements

So, blockbusters everywhere are closing. This must be caused by some widespread craziness where everyone thinks the mail services and on-demand are more convenient. They're clearly not. On-demand from your fios or whatever box doesn't let you jump to different chapters, you can only fast forward and backwards. This is annoying if you have multiple people in a household who might want to watch at different times or come/go when other people are watching and later want to catch up/watch the rest of the movie. And with the mail thing/Netflix, it's less instant, I can't make my choice the night I'm choosing, and I have to wait a day or two just to get my movie. Also annoying

More importantly, the whole act of going out and renting a movie is gone. This may sound trivial at first, but if you think about it, it's really important, besides just the enjoyment factor. It effectively ends serious dating. How, you say?:
Look, everyone knows women are too chicken to admit, even to themselves, that they want sex sometimes. So the typical 3rd or 4th date is "Lets rent a movie". This serves an important purpose for the male. It's a pretext to get her to his (or her) place. The fact that you're doing something first - picking out a movie at the store - serves as further distraction/obfuscation as to what's going on. It's like "Hey! Let's pick out a movie! Isn't this fun? See, it's totally innocent!" The activity just HAPPENS to end up with the two together in one of their apartments, on the couch, close together, hint hint wink wink.
But these new services don't have that process. You can try to dance around it, but you ultimately have to invite the girl to your place DIRECTLY. Her natural instincts will kick in and she'll get spooked and be like , "You perv! I don't just go around sleeping with some guy!" maybe with that sassy "Mmmm - MMMMMM!" with the head-shake. Or maybe the old "I am NOT a prostitute!" or what have you.

This could be the end of male-female relations as we know it, people. Marriage has already suffered in the past few decades enough already. If I can't get a girl to sleep with me, I can't "seal the deal" so to speak and move on to officially being boyfriend/girlfriend. If I can't get a steady girlfriend, I can't get married. If I can't get married, I can't raise a family. If I can't do all that ****, then why the hell am I in Jersey, people!!!?? I'm no detached loner hipster doofus from New York or some spoiled Hollywood yahoo yuppie from Los Angeles. I'm a Jersey Boy! It's my cultural duty to raise some crib-monkeys at some point!
Next thing you know they'll be banning pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 05:18 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,094,074 times
*in case some people didn't get it, since a lot of people seem to be obtuse on the internet, the second half was meant to be sort of in jest

Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,740,051 times
Only the second half?? Because really the entire existance of this thread seems like a joke, a really old joke. A joke that happened like 5 years ago. Yes blockbuster is closing get with the times.

Plus WTH does this have to do with NJ?!!?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:48 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,675,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
*in case some people didn't get it, since a lot of people seem to be obtuse on the internet, the second half was meant to be sort of in jest
It made me laugh....

Remember, there's still Red Box.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,033,436 times
Is this a joke?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:56 PM

390 posts, read 1,363,876 times
I'm too busy flipping through Netflix on my Roku to care about this.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 AM

83 posts, read 224,343 times
I hear ya! One of my favorite past times was shopping for CD's. That's dead. Going to the book store will also probably be dead in the next 5 years. It's sad.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:53 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,022,240 times
What's your point and how is this relevant to the state of NJ? You attempted to make some connections but failed miserably.

Blockbuster sucks. My girlfriend and I hated going to their miserable stores and trying to find a decent movie from their garbage selection, and then having to deal with their moron employees. Netflix instant streaming through our Wii, iPhones and MacBooks is infinitely superior. Good riddance, a store that sells Hawaiian shirts and duck statues would better occupy their commercial spaces.

And if you think THIS is why you aren't getting laid, well then I think your problems with that go a little deeper. It's probably better off if you don't procreate anyway.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:02 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,734,144 times
I for one am glad blockbuster is gone. Call me irresponsible, but I would never remember to return my videos. It also wasn't cheap by any stretch.

netflix is the way to go

Old 10-15-2011, 01:56 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,022,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I for one am glad blockbuster is gone. Call me irresponsible, but I would never remember to return my videos. It also wasn't cheap by any stretch.

netflix is the way to go
Double fact. $5 to rent a movie? No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey